Sussex Branch Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stanhope, New Jersey that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

This is a beautiful trail. I had to drive 50 miles to get here. This is on a Sunday, two days after a rainy day. As soon as I arrived in the parking lot. There were two big potholes at the gate and there were 4 parking spaces still open but they were in huge ankle-deep puddles. Luckily, I brought my boots. I started on the main trail. I came across more huge puddles. I had to try and balance myself to walk on some fallen tree branches to avoid step in these puddles because my boots have a side zipper, therefore only mostly waterproof. I didn't want to push my luck. It's no fun hiking with wet socks, sure way to get blisters.
But because all these water and moisture in this park, I get to see beautiful waterfalls, mushrooms on trees, green moss on rocks. I don't regret it at all. I started on the dark blue trail, then red trail, then white trail. I turned back after 3 miles or 1.5 hours. I made a wrong turn and ended up returning on the Ranger's trail, it has very steep and rocky slope. I wish I had my trekking poles because I have bad knees. They hurt doing steep descent. But I managed it ok.

We come here often and its always a beautiful hike!

Nice and easy starting trail. If you start on The Waterloo Village Side, Wildlife you may see along the trail are beavers, turkeys, deer, turtles, birds, chipmunks, lots of squirrels, and yes, the occasional bear. Water levels can vary depending on rainfall and the iron mine trail was flooded for the last year or so due to a beaver dam but it appears the beaver has since moved on and the trail is now open again. There are several offshoot trails to try as well. There are a few minor waterfalls and lakes along the way and one part comes out to Cranberry Lake which is a really nice view. You do have to cross some streets to get to the continuation after Tamarack Road and then the trail narrows a bit at that point but it’s a very nice hiking, biking, and running trail and great for dogs.

This park is a gem....this trail is an old railway bed so it's flat as can be. The sound of water can be heard along good portions of it. You can walk it all year basically....Excellent place to go.

Enjoy these trails all summer long

I love this trail. I love that you can take other trails and loop back onto it. Beautiful area.

Rode it end to end quite beautiful in areas enjoy!

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Love this trail. Run it all the time!

Monday, April 24, 2017

hiked the blue trail/ iron mine trail.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

beautiful trail.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Flat, kinda boring, but good for a quick jog or if you'd rather walk in nature vs. your neighborhood. The trail is great for bikers and continues well past what is shown here. Try the hiking trails that are off of this trail. The white trail to the yellow to the teal leads to a great view and is just about 2 miles RT

Monday, July 25, 2016

Very flat until the turn onto the Iron Mine Trail. Then there are some moments of steepness but nothing all that severe. The flat section gets a decent amount of mountain bikers. But the Iron Mine Trail portion was as quiet as can be.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

good trail not too easy not too hard. great views and not crowded. saw a HUGE Black Racer snake at end

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pretty area. Nice short hike . Some bikes on trail.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Not the best lake for peace and quiet, as the water gets overrun with traffic in the summer, but the fishing is good. Lots of islands break up the scenery and provide a varied landscape.

Saturday, September 02, 2017