Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(361)
Worthington State Forest

Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pahaquarry, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length7.3 miElevation gain1,213 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsRunningForestRiverViewsWildflowersWildlifeRocky
Waypoints (0)
Photos (1,134)
Activities (394)
Completed (1,571)
Nicholas Mynarski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2021
View Nicholas's activity
Alanna Witowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 13, 2021
Hiking

I would have given this more stars with a straight out and back on the AT (probably 4). As it stands, taking Dunnfield Trail on the way back was a huge mistake - had to cross the creek 4+ times with the water flowing extremely high and was difficult to say the least. We ended up doing a little over 9 miles on this path, doable if the water is much lower which was the not the case for us. Recommend to anyone taking this trail to stick with the AT, the trail was well maintained and had manageable amounts of elevation. It was a little rocky at points, but nothing overly difficult. Sunfish Pond was pretty, but is likely more impressive with leaves on the trees and when not frozen over

View Alanna's activity
Lauren Mittelmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2021

Stunning.

View Lauren's activity
Leonard Shark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 10, 2021
View Leonard's activity
JONATHAN CHO
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2021
Fishing

lot of snow on the trail it was hard 11.3 miles

View JONATHAN's activity
Katie McLeod
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 13, 2021
HikingSnow
View Katie's activity
Rae Hugs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2020
Hiking

Phone died in the middle of the trail. We detoured down the creek trail instead of the planned blue trail to save on time. That turned out to a very wet decision with multiple creek crossing experiences. Fantastic fun all the same.

View Rae's activity
Guanyu Wang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 30, 2020
Hiking

Decent moderate trail. Not much snow or ice. Gentle uphill.

Keith Wiley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 28, 2020
Hiking

Definitely rocky, some toppled trees covering the trails and snow melt made for small streams on the trail. Once you get past the first couple miles it dries up. Overall, nice.

View Keith's activity
matthew donaldson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2020
View matthew's activity
Jeremiah Sheehy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 22, 2020
View Jeremiah's activity
Amy Rochette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 13, 2020
View Amy's activity
Rabindra Singh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 12, 2020
Hiking

Great if you like seclusion. I must have turned off recording but the loop was from sunfish pond to turquoise trail ( see on map) to fire road which adds another 1 and 1/2 miles. Total loop is roughly 10.5 miles. Word of caution- hunting season is still on and active. I ran into a group of hunters on turquoise trail and exchanged greetings. When I was about 3 miles away from that group on fire road heard 2 shots. Just be aware.

View Rabindra's activity
David Simcha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2020
View David's activity
Sheree John Inkeles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 24, 2020
Hiking

Super nice 7.6 mile trail on a brisk Tuesday day! Just the fresh air and exercise needed without much of a climb

View Sheree John's activity
Iris Sierra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2020

Where do I start? You definitely need waterproof hiking shoes or your feet will get soaked when its flooded. Was a fun adventure but scary because we had to avoid crossing the river and there was nowhere to cross cuz of too much rain. My girlfriend dropped her phone in the creek because it needed a bath. She was using it as bait for river trout. Luckily it still worked, Then she fell flat on her face cuz her pants got stuck on a branch. I almost peed myself laughing after I knew she was ok. 3 mins later I fell on my side and she was laughing at me. It was non stop injuries,falling, sticks hitting us everywhere, mud and water in our shoes. Then we stopped to get a water and I turned around to let her get it out of my backpack and she bent over at the same time and I almost knocked her out with my backpack. Again laughter. Then her walking stuck swung and hit her in her knees funny bone and she doubled over in pain as I was trying not to laugh. One minute later she had her revenge when I was sitting on a rock with my legs hurting and I said “ Hey these walking sticks are great for helping you stand up look” as I smiled and tried to lift myself up the one stick slid sideways and I fell on my left side and almost had mud go in places I would rather not say where. But we have a great time together and laughed about it all later. Hopefully our next hike doesn’t require a 911 call or a hospital bed. Without all these things though it wouldn’t be an adventure it would just be a hike. We loved it. By the way this review is from my boyfriend Tim

Kourtney Keith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 31, 2020
View Kourtney's activity
Iris Sierra
HikingFlooded

View Iris's activity
Jake Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 31, 2020
Hiking

Nice hike. Longer if you loop the lake at the top. Very rocky around the lake. Cool types of rock. Prepare for potential water crossings along the way, just a couple inches deep by a few feet wide. I would not rate this hard. It was easier than Mt. Tammany for example.

View Jake's activity
Lindsey Knepp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2020

beautiful!

View Lindsey's activity
Dan Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 11, 2020
HikingRocky

Beautiful scenery, definitely not hard should be marked as moderate, good workout though. So bloody crowded, really killed the experience for me.

Anna Baginska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
View Anna's activity
Alka Anuj
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
Hiking

Red dot - fire trail - missed turquoise - reached reservoir- touched AT-turquoise - white- parking lot

View Alka's activity
Katie Moynihan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2020
Hiking

Very rocky. Not always labeled with trail colors

View Katie 's activity
Falon M Papale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020

went out via Dunnfield and back via AT to make a loop. i would try it the opposite way as well. Dunnfield was a bit more interesting with a few stream crossings, good to go uphill this way with a dog bc she can stop to drink whenever.

Ellen Bay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
Hiking

Long but doable. Beautiful scenery. My 12 year old made the hike. A bit rocky.

Kendall Wanner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Kendall's activity
Melanie Poff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Very rocky and very busy the first and last few miles around the shorter trail heads

View Melanie's activity