Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail

Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from September until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The best!!!!

Perfect blend of beauty and intensity. Did it with my 12 year old son.

Hiked it in late fall one year ago.

11/6/2016. Headed northeast from Dunnfield Creek trail head to Sunfish Pond with my 8 year old son. Packed lunch, water and plenty of snacks. Took us just over 2 hrs to get up to pond- pretty steady climb but not bad. A few areas were very rocky and one could easily twist an ankle if not careful. We were fine in sturdy sneakers, though light or medium hiking boot would be ideal. Followed the creek for a while- pleasant scenery. Eventually gain elevation and it gets a little harder. Passed a little area of cairns that was very serene and had some nice views from the top of the ridge looking northwest. Ate lunch at the pond- beautiful place to eat and rest. Didn't explore the pond, though would have if time permitted. We hiked back at a more leisurely pace, 3 hrs, giving plenty of time for an 8 year old (and his dad) to poke stuff with a stick or climb on rocks and trees along the way. Fall was a great time to hike. Also enjoyed being on the AT and not having to wear orange at the start of archery season. Highly recommend for family and kids 8+. Doable in one day- plan for 4-5 hrs directly or 6-7 if you plan on ambling. If you're a trail runner- I saw several runners pass me. Gradual climb and good distance made for nice run, though rocky terrain was a drawback for me, personally. Happy trails!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

I hiked Mt Tammany Trail as well as this trail in one day. I took the red trail up Tammany (took about an hour to the summit - there is no sign, but a great view). Once you've done this, you've completed the most strenuous part of the hike.

Then, I took the green trail up Dunnfield Hallow Trail.
Once I reached Sunfish Pond (took me about 3.5 hours to get there), I had lunch and returned to the parking lot via the white AT.

Not including my stop for lunch, it took me 5 hours of hiking to do the 10 mile loop, but I'm in pretty good shape.

Definitely a hike I'd recommend or do again.

A good website for a map of the trails https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2hikes-2.pdf

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great trail. Did 22 miles on a variety of loops on and off the AT

Sunday, April 24, 2016

good trail, see lots of black bear and snakes. don't let bear deter you from hiking GOOD LOUD CLAP OF YOUR HANDS WILL USUALLY SCARE THEM OFF. Worth going to Sun Fish Pond

Monday, March 21, 2016

Always my favorite go-to backpacking spot in NJ. Fairly easy on the AT, lots of ups-n-downs make for a great workout. Not heavily used if you're taking the AT portion away from the state park/forest and Sunfish Pond. Wildlife is great (have seen deer, bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, rattlesnakes, eagles, etc.). Highly recommended for a day hike or multiple day backpacking trip on the AT.

Monday, March 21, 2016

always a great hike. easy trail to walk on. the difficulty comes from the distance and elevation. But finding a spot to take a break st next to the pond is well worth it.