Learn more

Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from September until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.7 mi Elevation gain 1,200 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (922)
Recordings (57)
Completed (335)
Danielle G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Great trail! Very rocky in some parts, but you’re on a mountain so come ready for it. Some parts of the path are pretty dense to walk through with some thick brush on both sides so make sure you bring your bug spray along. Once at sunfish from this direction, if you walk in about 25-50 yards, to the left, there is a little trail down to the water which was the perfect lunch spot!!

Swapnil Joglekar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail and a better option to reach Sunfish pond with good mileage and decent elevation gain incase the trailhead near I-80 is inaccessible. View from Raccoon ridge is awesome. Hike down to Sunfish Pond is most parts in shade. Saw lots of Eagles hovering above with one perched pretty close to the trail. Made it all in and out on the AT. Maybe next time will try out the Coppermine trail.

View Swapnil's Recording
fiorella vengoechea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

Great trail it was awesome... I saw some eagles. Trail was super rocky and huge jagged rocks every single step which was annoying... trail was very narrow and overgrown which made it hard to know if you are still on trail, but the trail was very well marked. I saw a freaking bear!!!! It crossed right in front of me! About 10 feet in front of me I was so shook. It went from one side of the forest to the other crossing about 10 feet right in front of me on the hiking trail. Thank the lord that he didn’t even look at me I don’t know if he saw me or not but he was literally right in front of me. I didn’t know what to do because I was hiking alone with nobody around and I had to pass by the part that he went into In order to get back to my car. I finished the trail so fast after that lol my first bear encounter!

View fiorella's Recording
Tim And Birute G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
View Tim And Birute's Recording
Shay W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
HikingRocky

I would call this as a moderately difficult hike, mainly because of the very rocky trails. Make sure you have good boots and poles wouldn't hurt either. We took it slow, 3 hours to Sunfish pond and 3 hours back out. the best views are about halfway to Sunfish though, at the large pile of rocks! Hiked it in early June, it was hot and humid but there was a nice breeze on the ridgeline. Closer to Sunfish pond inside Worthington State Forest we saw a momma bear with two cubs under 100 feet from the trail. I shouted to her to let her know we were coming through and she left us alone so no biggie.

Kevin Piwoski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
Rocky

Wonderful 360° views. If it wasnt so rocky I'd give it a 5 stars.

Jenn Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
View Jenn's Recording
Lars A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Nice easy hike. Great views from top of ridge . Probably my favorite section of the New Jersey section of the Appalachian trail. Spotted a couple of Eagles. Some snakes too though on trail.

Rafael Morales Jr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Rafael's Recording
Christopher John
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Wish the state forests were open so we could’ve went to sunfish pond. Great hike was with a 5y/o. Not difficult at all.

View Christopher's Recording
Allan Tittermary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes in New Jersey. From the parking lot to the campsites is a relatively easy hike, maybe 4.5 miles. Campsites to the pond is maybe another mile. That’s if you follow the AT. The other trail from the parking lot goes to the pond first and isn’t as well blazed. The first time I came to this spot I tried to come in at night, following the trail along the water (red dot?). I wasn’t able to follow the blazes well in the darkness. I only bring this up because if you do come at night, it is much easier to follow the AT directly to the campsites that are located along the hilltop. The trail along the water also will require you to more than likely get your feet wet because the trail crosses back and forth several times across the stream. Either way, expect to see people and dogs.

Kate W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
HikingRocky

Trail was well maintained. It is very rocky with some areas of clear trail. There are numerous locations to rest and take in the views. Before you get to Sunfish there is a stream and a camping area. We went in August. There were a few people on the trail but mostly we were alone walking. Very few bugs.

hzt2y mb8wt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2019
Hiking

Great stretch of trail with much variety in the path. Several nice spots where can get good views of the lakes. The view from the Large Pile of Rocks is excellent from both sides of the mountain.

Pamela Wolff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2019
HikingRocky

Beautiful hike. Great ankle workout!

Eduard Karlin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2018

Beautiful Hike!!!

Joel Catala
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2018

Great hike, long but not overwhelming allows you to feel empowered after hiking it. Not many views until you get to sunfish pond at the top. It’s literally alongside of Mt. Tammany. There is also a campsite just before arriving at sunfish pond that you can overnight at.

Trina Nolan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2018

I loved this trail! It’s perfect how it ends with sunfish pond before turning around and heading back. I set up camp closer to the MOC since backcountry camping is not permitted in Worthington State Forest but the hike down to the pond and back wasn’t too easy and not too difficult either. The elevations didn’t change too drastically and the views were truly amazing throughout the trail. The employee at the MOC Was extremely helpful and they allow you to park your car in there lot and have you fill out a form so they know to look if you don’t return when you said you would. This helped me feel a bit at ease since I went by myself. Overall a great experience and I will definitely be returning.

Jose Quintanilha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 20, 2018

Dan Divis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 25, 2017
Hiking

Very nice views on this cool crisp November day. The trail is a little on the rocky side in some spots but that's what you get in the Delaware water gap area.

Lianne Walulak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2017
Hiking

By far one of my favorite hikes! Beautiful!

Sarah W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2017
Hiking

The green trail was difficult to find at first, but a great hike once you found the trail. Super steep!

Julio R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2017

The best!!!!

Bryce V. Tenbarge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2017
Hiking

Perfect blend of beauty and intensity. Did it with my 12 year old son.

Ken Broadway
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 1, 2017
Hiking

Hiked it in late fall one year ago.

Alessasndro Smeraldi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 17, 2016
Hiking

11/6/2016. Headed northeast from Dunnfield Creek trail head to Sunfish Pond with my 8 year old son. Packed lunch, water and plenty of snacks. Took us just over 2 hrs to get up to pond- pretty steady climb but not bad. A few areas were very rocky and one could easily twist an ankle if not careful. We were fine in sturdy sneakers, though light or medium hiking boot would be ideal. Followed the creek for a while- pleasant scenery. Eventually gain elevation and it gets a little harder. Passed a little area of cairns that was very serene and had some nice views from the top of the ridge looking northwest. Ate lunch at the pond- beautiful place to eat and rest. Didn't explore the pond, though would have if time permitted. We hiked back at a more leisurely pace, 3 hrs, giving plenty of time for an 8 year old (and his dad) to poke stuff with a stick or climb on rocks and trees along the way. Fall was a great time to hike. Also enjoyed being on the AT and not having to wear orange at the start of archery season. Highly recommend for family and kids 8+. Doable in one day- plan for 4-5 hrs directly or 6-7 if you plan on ambling. If you're a trail runner- I saw several runners pass me. Gradual climb and good distance made for nice run, though rocky terrain was a drawback for me, personally. Happy trails!

Anna Caron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2016
Hiking

I hiked Mt Tammany Trail as well as this trail in one day. I took the red trail up Tammany (took about an hour to the summit - there is no sign, but a great view). Once you've done this, you've completed the most strenuous part of the hike. Then, I took the green trail up Dunnfield Hallow Trail. Once I reached Sunfish Pond (took me about 3.5 hours to get there), I had lunch and returned to the parking lot via the white AT. Not including my stop for lunch, it took me 5 hours of hiking to do the 10 mile loop, but I'm in pretty good shape. Definitely a hike I'd recommend or do again. A good website for a map of the trails https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2hikes-2.pdf

Chris Sykora
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2016

Great trail. Did 22 miles on a variety of loops on and off the AT

Bobby Sullivan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2016
Hiking

good trail, see lots of black bear and snakes. don't let bear deter you from hiking GOOD LOUD CLAP OF YOUR HANDS WILL USUALLY SCARE THEM OFF. Worth going to Sun Fish Pond

Josh Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2016
Camping

Always my favorite go-to backpacking spot in NJ. Fairly easy on the AT, lots of ups-n-downs make for a great workout. Not heavily used if you're taking the AT portion away from the state park/forest and Sunfish Pond. Wildlife is great (have seen deer, bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, rattlesnakes, eagles, etc.). Highly recommended for a day hike or multiple day backpacking trip on the AT.