Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Stonetown Circular Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(221)
Ringwood State Park

Stonetown Circular Trail is a 10.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ringwood, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,545 feet Route Type: Loop

34 minutes ago

Good workout, not a lot of people, a lot of inclines and some rock paths to climb. The markers aren't great though, finding the entrance was took some trying and lost the markers during the trail ending up somewhat lost for the ending part. Easy enough to find your way back to a road though.

Great trail - super tough but well worth the day spent. Tons of great elevation gains and declines - and then more gains! Decent views. A pal and I completed the whole loop clockwise and barely saw anyone. Completed the trail in about 5.5 hours. A few muddy patches with accessible areas to clear around them. Would do it again!

The trail was great! Ended up taking about 5.5 with a few stops here and there. Parked at the rec center and the trailhead was down the road a little as you passed a house. Followed the red/white markers the entire way but the trail also followed some blue blazes in the beginning. Really great elevation with some fun scrambles. Would highly recommend and do it again!

Worth the hike for the views. It is a climb, but easy. Coming down, if you stay on red, it’s quite the down climb. We ended up taking the longer way up, which was red/blue/red. Not necessary for the views, stay on the red. We climbed it with my 6.5 and 4.5 year old. Once up, take a view to the right, there is a big boulder to sit on. So gorgeous. The view from side where flag is, is not as nice as the right side view on boulder. Turn around as you hike up and you’ll see the gorgeous reservoir. We saw a rat snake and frogs. We did it in 3 hours taking long loop around and taking red all the way back. This was with several stops to rest for my daughter.

Fun and challenging!

Decent hike. Muddy and rocky in some areas with some trees down over the trail. Climbs were tough, but nothing crazy... I complete the loop in 4hr20. I did the trail counterclockwise and the only real view was right after the first initial ascent. It was a beautiful view, but the rest of the trail was pretty lackluster. It was nice to be on some more quieter trails, but the climbs weren’t worth it for only 1 view. The trail wasn’t that well marked. There was an area of the trail that there were no markers for awhile. I went off trail a few times because there were a lot of what looked like intersecting trails, but weren’t shown on the map. Definitely needed this app to complete the loop.

When the description says "heavily trafficked," they mean VERY HEAVILY TRAFFICkED. And, not only by lots of people but by motorbikes and ATV's. We were nearly run over several times on this trail by these things. So obnoxious. The noise and smell were awful. We will not be doing this trail again. We actually did the entire 10 mile loop, but my phone died so my recording was cut short.

My son and I did the entire loop on 5/21/2020. This was an awesome trail for those who really love hiking. Tough inclines and declines, but so worth it for the views. A few good technical places. It was muddy in the lower parts of the trail. Bring plenty of water and good trail running shoes. Please make sure to stay alert for trail changes. We saw a few snakes and frogs. This is the best trail app ever. It was nice to have it with me and the recording on this app barely drained my iPhone battery. This trail kicked my ass, but it was so worth it. Planning on coming back in a few weeks.

Hiked with Grace!! We did 4 out 4 back!

This was a great hike for the experienced hiker. Extremely difficult inclines. Challenging downhills. It took me about 7 hours to complete this hike. Poor markings in the beginning of the hike starting clockwise had to bushwhack, thank goodness for this app else i would have gotten lost. Good luck!

Great workout. Be in shape if you want to get the ten miles done. Beautiful place

Given North Jersey may not be the most exotic place in the world to go hiking, the trail still offers decent distance / elevation gain and some pleasant views. I did the trail clockwise. The first half mile is down a narrow shoulder on a suburban road, which I've reluctantly accepted as par for the course in this neck of the woods. The west half is more rugged and has fun trail obstacles to traverse: long log to balance on while crossing a river, a giant pile of fallen trees to climb over, etc. The east half is more pleasant, has better maintained trails, and the better summit views. The trail is very well blazed at some stretches and missing important blazes at other sections. I lost the trail over 5 times (unusually high for me), sometimes requiring bushwacking to get back on track

Very enjoyable, technical hike. expect to work for each peak. few nice water crossings. did the full loop in 4 hours flat, minimal breaks. trail blazes are NOT marked well, have your map close and plan accordingly. Garmin says 3500' of gain.

We went to the flagpole which is the highest peak then went back. If you want to complete this loop it’s very long and very steep also rocky and it’s 10 miles. Initially we got lost cause the trail Mark was confusing but found our way when another hiker helped us. Overall it was a challenging trail. Very steep and rocky. I saw hikers with their dog and they did not put that dog on a leash and the dog came to us aggressively like he was going to bite us. Please put your dog on a leash no one appreciates a dog without a leash that goes to other hikers and attacks them and could potentially really hurt them. I don’t think it is legal either. I hope they enforce that there...

This trial is not for beginners or casual hiker, hard ups and downs. views are awesome

Would give 3.5 if could. 5hrs exc. breaks. Went counterclockwise. 2 v diff sections (east&west of stowntown road). Pros: Clearly blazed. Quiet. Good lookouts on east. Reservoir views. Cons: Hardwork - uphill/steep downhill/rocky on the flat. Too long for us. West side -lotsa bugs by monksville reservoir & dull. Idea: Would do counterclockwise but cut onto stonetown road to shorten.