Stairway to Heaven Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(986)
Wawayanda State Park

Stairway to Heaven Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Vernon township, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 892 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. For more information, please see https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wawayanda.html The trail starts out as a steep climb up to the top of Wawayanda Mt. Along the way up there are many large boulders that are great for bouldering on. Once on top of the mountain you get some great views of the Vernon Valley, Pochuck Mt, the Kittatinny's, Catskills and the Black dirt region. The trail then traverses the top of Wawayanda Mt to another lookout. This is when you start your Bushwhack along the old Appalachian trail route. It is more like a bushwhack because you cant find the trail most of the way down the Mt. When going down you pass a waterfall and some nice cascades. Be careful on this section due to the many unstable rocks in the area. Here is the route to take: Appalachian Trail, Right on blue Livingston Trail, Come to large creek make a right and try to follow the old Appalachian Trail down. Right onto unmarked path follow along mountain base to Appalachian Trail.

Awesome trail that can be super long, or super short depending what you wanna do! I loved walking through the cow pasture on the planks. And the rock scramble all the way up to an awesome view makes a killer workout. Recommend for anyone to do this hike!

Good workout but Extremely crowded. We were hiking down in a line. We went on a sunny Saturday.

Great time! Did 6 miles in 3 hours!

Trail OPEN since yesterday :-) I spoke with the ranger as he was reopening the site. The online website may not *yet* be updated but the trail is very much open for hiking now.

Warning the state park has closed this trail as of the 18th of May. Check there website to find out when they open.

Great in and out trail. Definitely try to get there early. There’s parts that are steep and narrow so you don’t want to be there while it’s crowded. I’ve seen lots of family and dogs, and people in sandals, so it’s doable but not the easiest. You’ll get to a part where the mountain of rocks are but the view is actually up a hill behind it- most people tend to keep following the trail and then have to turn back.

Did the boardwalk also, love this trail, scenic and challenging

One of my favorite trails in NJ, but right now there is NOWHERE to park due to COVID-19 closures. It’s not like some other places where you can park a few blocks over and walk, the streets surrounding the trail are permit parking only and very residential. Wish I knew parking was closed before making the drive!

Said the trail was closed but we went anyway... great trail lots of rocks. View at the top is peaceful! Make sure you visit cute lil country store across the road from trail entrance before you leave

Technically closed, sorry not sorry. Great hike regardless! Enjoy

Challenging hike. Great scenic view. Heavy traffic. Very rocky. Little to no parking.

Happy Trails, yes if you fallow the white trail it will take you to 17A by Mount Peter. It’s about 15 miles from the trail head on 94. It’s well worth the hike it’s not much elevation after The initial climb. Great views of greenwood lake. You do cross a few other roads but not sure if there is much parking. You do cross into NY and there is an awesome compass on the rocks you can’t miss.

closed

So this was my first and not my last trip to this dynamic place. In all the chaos that’s going in the world today I needed a reset. I needed to go out into Mother Nature backyard and remember that there is still a sense of peace in this world. My one question is does the white trail take you all the way to NY? We walked the trail from RT 94 up to the mailbox then, we turned around and crossed over the farm pasture. Nice sight of the cows grubbing away. When we picked up from there and went to RT 517 that access point was closed off. We weren’t able to get to the suspension bridge. So my question is next time should I just go pass the mailbox on the white trail? I’m going back within two weeks so please do feedback, feedback and off course thank you in advance. #HappyTrails #HappyLife

Great trail! Really good workout going up and a beautiful view at the top, so it’s worth it. Better to go earlier in the day since a lot of people aren’t working, so it gets pretty busy later on. Will definitely be returning, but not at peak hours

Fun trail that gives you a workout. Everyone we encountered was winded on the way up! There is a great view at the top and going down is easy. We encountered a lot of dogs off leash, but they were well behaved and returned to owners when called. The trail was marked well and we all had fun scrambling over the rocks.