Shore Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 784 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

Parts of trail are nice. Views on the cliffs are nice and by the water but there are some boring long stretches of trail. Stairs were a good workout and challenge. We did the extra stairs to see the view.

The trail towards NYC is extremely rocky and it’s only about half a mile long in the woods either you turn left and continue down towards the Hudson or on the right it leads to the road which is heavily trafficked with bicyclist and cars. I loved it either way if it wasn’t for the rocks. I love nature and it was a pleasant walk. Parking is limited. Not many people on the trail we walked. I would recommended but be mindful of the rocks. They are slippery and edged.

recorded Shore Trail

Mostly flat with one steep incline/decline at either end of the loop. Some nice water views.

Good trail but tracking was off. Make sure you wear ankle support!

Smooth trail, would be good for running or walking a pet. It’s along the Hudson the whole time

A great trail. At first you travel along the shore path which is mostly flat with great views of the shore and the Palisade cliffs which are very imposing. Eventually you will hit a sign saying that you are now entering a rugged area of the park. If you continue on the loop you will travel along a steep ascent to the top of the cliffs. It is very rocky and mostly dirt with very few stairs. Please be very careful and take your time. Dont bring kids or pets and wear good shoes. At the top are a few monuments with excellant views of the surrounding area. it is a surreal moment when you are peering down a 400 foot cliffs looking at the shore path that you were just on. After that it is a mostly flat path back to the parking lot. You will see a few of the quarry structures as you are coming back including a chasm that looks like it was chiseled away with a large steel girder that you can cross on. Overall a great hike with good views. I cannot state enough to be careful on the cliffs. There are plenty of places that offer great views that are not restricted by fences. It is a long way down however and people have died falling; dont join them.

Great trail beautiful views and nice climb. Overall awesome hike!!

Really cool hike especially if you're a beginner hiker or getting back in it. I would not consider it moderate, more on the east side. Only one steep climb, the rest is a walk in the park.

Not moderate on the up trip. Don’t miss the turn off!!! Hahaha great walk

Great well maintained trail with many options to make it more challenging. The trail is well marked, the blazes are nice and white. The hike right along the Hudson River is really rocky. There are a few downed logs across the path. The hill that heads down towards shore trail to the right of the fork is slippery when wet. I recommend wearing hiking boots for the ankle support. Saw many other hikers along the trail and many dogs enjoying the trail as well. Even though there is signage posted that dogs must remain on leashes, I saw many dogs walking off-leash. This might be a deterrent for some. Overall it was great.

nice hike. most of hike is easy. uphill leg is legit. plenty of options to extend.

Did our own version of this trail, branching off in the middle to connect with the “long trail” so we could see the ruins of the Cliffdale Manor. Great experience overall, a few steep sections to raise your heart rate but not too difficult, and some great river views.

I thought it was good. I feel like it was like

I believe 5 stars because it’s a Great trail and amazing scenery I don’t know if this map is accurate or we just got turned around. We decided just to walk to the end of the trail and turn around and walk back it took a lot longer than we thought we did 5.1 miles to walk to the end and back took us about 3ish hours. We also had our 3 dogs with us. It was very rocky I suggest some boots not sneakers. Also there were down trees that you had to climb over. FYI CHECK FOR TICKS!!! all 3 dogs were covered with larva one corgi had around 100+ on him. We must have come across a fresh hatching cause we had a ton of hitchhikers. We did the trail in 9/12/19 such a great scenery but it would be a while before we got hiking again with the 3 dogs