Shark River Park Trails

Shark River Park Trails is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wall Township, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a great place with something for everyone. You can get lost sometimes as the markings aren't abundant, but it certainly gives an adventure!

Had a good Sunday hike at this local park. Flat and easy but only a few others on the trail. Not a great time of year for scenery (early April).

For a local trail I was pretty impressed.

Great place to get lost! We lost track of the trail markers and just kept going on the path until we couldn't go any further. At which point we turned around and got lost, getting tangled in many thornbushes, trees, shrubs and dog leashes in the process of trying to find the trail again. At one point we thought we were lost forever and would starve to death within a mile of many busy roads that we could hear but not see. And then we had the brilliant idea to let the border collie off leash and he found the trail for us. All around, an A+ experience!

Great local park! I love the variety of trails that you can connect onto to add distance to your hike or run. It was great in the spring with all the mountain laurel blooming. Usually quiet, it's rare that I see more than 3 or 4 people on the trails since there are so many options.

Great walk. Forgot to record. Did the loop, hidden creek and Pine trail.

Part of Shark River Park is west of the Garden State Parkway which mostly runs along Shark River brook. At night there are a few flying tree squirrels in this very remote area. Shine a light at night into the 50 foot high oak and maple trees to see them. Also above the brook is a dirt road with hundreds of frogs and toads in the deep road puddles like your in Jurassic Park.

Keep heading further west behind the Tally Ho Restaurant and there is the former Blueberry Acres farm (mostly private property) that borders some of the park along the stream where there are still thousands of uncultivated blueberry bushes and trees which are still thriving.

There is also a section of Shark River Park east of Gully Road which is quite remote with about 500 acres on the south side of lower Shark River brook as you head east toward Remsen Mill Road. In this area sandstone outcropping formations appear here and there.

Really liked this park. Took the black diamond trail which was very nice then hooking up to the blue trail. There are some beautiful bridges and boardwalks here.

I liked it in the past but knowing the history now bums me out but a great park

I liked it in the past but knowing the history now bums me out but a great park

Little wet on Hidden Creek. But passable. Beautiful day walked 3 1/2.

I live near by. I walk here as much as possible . Mostly the Hidden Creek Trail and I add in the the Pine trail. I think I have walked all of the marked trails. I have been tempted to go off on some of the unmarked trails but haven't . I consider myself lucky to live so close.

What a pleasant surprise. I live so close to this park, but never visited until today. I debated upon two trails to hike - Hidden Creek and/or Pine Hills. The Hidden Creek trail was muddy, but the sea of skunk cabbage upon the wooden bridge made it worthwhile. I came upon a trail jogger who suggested to continue on to Pine Hills. Pine Hills trail is like its name and such a great hiking experience. As I approached the top, I spotted a camel colored fox in the distance. I wish I had my camera ready, but he disappeared just as quickly. On the downhill loop, I came across a man made balancing rock structure. Such an unexpected surprise and I placed my rock on it to symbolize I was there too. I will return and I hope to finish the rest of the trails, but today was a good beginning.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Easy hike. Very sparse traffic.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

My wife and I really enjoyed this hike. It has little hills that break up the usually flat jersey hikes. We will be visiting again

Sunday, October 23, 2016

was rough on the bike. lots of tree roots, better hiking than biking

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Legit. Nice and wide open, service the whole way for easy map use. There's a fit trail as well. My dog loved it. Saw a couple people less than 5. Easy definitely not a difficult trail but can be. Good for running nice even ground.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

took my 11 and 7 year old ...it was a fun starter trail for the kids.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

River's Edge was fun. Narrow path, some muddy parts, steep steps in certain places, lots of greenery. Went with my teenage daughter and enjoyed every moment. Did Hidden Creek next which was much easier with wide open paths. Great trails overall!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

The Shark River Trails are such a treat! Not being from the area, I'd never have guessed that this delightful diamond could be found in the city "rough!" The fit trail is a blast and makes for a super dynamic workout. Also, the way the sun cuts through the trees while birds and squirrels scurry around you makes for a truly peaceful experience! Not super heavily trafficked that I've seen, and most of the trails have a pretty wide path. If you're in the area, I would definitely check it out!!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

I hate the spider webs lol but I love this trail. I just started running and trying to get in shape and with all the hills I know I'm getting a good work out. I know I'll be back. I love nature so this is the perfect spot for me!

Friday, June 10, 2016

I love this park. Been going to this park for over twenty years and it's a jem. Today I took the more challenging 1 mile one way on Rivers Edge. if your traveling east it has some challenging uphill climbs. Maybe difficult for some. the only thing to remind you that you are in a built up area is the sound of the highway in spots.
love this park. it's beautiful.

Friday, June 10, 2016

What a great little surprise in Neptune, NJ! I love the jungle feeling of lush, green trails with accessible streams. It is a refreshing change from the woods walks we find so many times. I took the outside loop and added the pine hills trail loop for good measure. Trail is well marked with the only confusing point coming at the intersection of a large field. The AllTrails app was a lifesaver here.

As with most hikes, I go early. As a result, I was alone on the trails the entire route. One of the beauties of this trail is that it gives you the feeling of being in a remote location for most of the hike, when you are actually in the center of Neptune, NJ. Quite a trick these days. This little system is one of my new favorite local hikes!

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Nice 4 mile run with a few bridges along the river. There was good elevation for being near the beach and very few people. Down side was hearing traffic from parkway.

Monday, October 19, 2015

I grew up in this park, so my 5 stars may be a bit biased. That said, it really is fun and the park offers a lot of natural diversity. All the trails are easy, I prefer the Hidden Creek-Pine Hills Loop accessed from Gully Road as it is the least traveled, reaches the highest point in the park and connects to some off park paths.

Monday, September 21, 2015

great place. Something for everyone. Go here all the time with our 3 yo and there's always something new to see or a part of a trail we haven't explored yet. Can get lost sometimes as the markings aren't abundant, but it certainly gives an adventure! If you want to stay on easy trails and not go too deep in this doesn't happen.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

The descriptions are accurate about this park. Went to Shark River for the first time yesterday, and will definitely be back again. Parts of the trail were a bit muddy (I don't mind) but had better wildlife than most local parks. Trails were well kept though, signs could be a bit better. Absolutely loved the Rivers Edge Trail, short but filled with great views, and a bunch of twists and turns.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Shark River Park is down the street from where I currently live. Besides traveling around the country and world I have been going to Shark River Park since I was 5 years old (1960). The big field off Gully road and the fields (which are now trees) on either side of Hidden Creek used to be a large scrap yard with hundreds of vehicles which were cleared up in the mid 1970s.

I work from home so I am and at the park just about everyday walking or jogging and always find something new. The descriptions below are accurate. Keep in mind that the main Shark River Brook runs west to east and is the northern boundary of the park.

Not mentioned in the accurate descriptions are the two friendly brown water snakes (with blue eyes) that live under the bridge off of the north leg of Hidden creek trail. Also on this same trail which is good for biking and hiking are hundreds of wild blueberry trees which bloom in late June and early July.

In various locations throughout the park I have counted about three hundred (300) Lady's Slippers (wild orchids). See attached photo. They usually only bloom between May 1 and May 31. To give an idea where one batch is, go to the Gully Road entrance, then go west a hundred yards ago across the big field, go down the little hill toward the new bridge, and there is about 30 of these Lady Slippers (with one pink flower).

When one is up on the Pine Hills trail, looking close from the highest point one can see the Glendola Reservoir. There is rough "hidden" trail that runs north and south along the park/reservoir fence line and hooks back into the north leg of the park's Hidden Creek trail.

Part of the Shark River Park is also west of the Parkway which mostly runs along Shark River brook. At night there are a few flying tree squirrels in this very remote area. Keep heading further west behind the Tally Ho Restaurant and there is the former Blueberry Acres farm (private property) that borders some of the park where there are still thousands of uncultivated blueberry bushes and trees which are still thriving.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

I absolutely love Shark River Park! I just walked the Bridge Loop and around the lake yesterday after work. The trails in the woods are terrific and I especially like River's Edge and Pine trails.

Friday, July 19, 2013

This area is definatly a workout on your bike and is well worth a look!