Shark River Park Trails

Shark River Park Trails is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wall Township, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a great place with something for everyone. You can get lost sometimes as the markings aren't abundant, but it certainly gives an adventure!

Great place to get lost! We lost track of the trail markers and just kept going on the path until we couldn't go any further. At which point we turned around and got lost, getting tangled in many thornbushes, trees, shrubs and dog leashes in the process of trying to find the trail again. At one point we thought we were lost forever and would starve to death within a mile of many busy roads that we could hear but not see. And then we had the brilliant idea to let the border collie off leash and he found the trail for us. All around, an A+ experience!

Great local park! I love the variety of trails that you can connect onto to add distance to your hike or run. It was great in the spring with all the mountain laurel blooming. Usually quiet, it's rare that I see more than 3 or 4 people on the trails since there are so many options.

Great walk. Forgot to record. Did the loop, hidden creek and Pine trail.

Part of Shark River Park is west of the Garden State Parkway which mostly runs along Shark River brook. At night there are a few flying tree squirrels in this very remote area. Shine a light at night into the 50 foot high oak and maple trees to see them. Also above the brook is a dirt road with hundreds of frogs and toads in the deep road puddles like your in Jurassic Park.

Keep heading further west behind the Tally Ho Restaurant and there is the former Blueberry Acres farm (mostly private property) that borders some of the park along the stream where there are still thousands of uncultivated blueberry bushes and trees which are still thriving.

There is also a section of Shark River Park east of Gully Road which is quite remote with about 500 acres on the south side of lower Shark River brook as you head east toward Remsen Mill Road. In this area sandstone outcropping formations appear here and there.

Really liked this park. Took the black diamond trail which was very nice then hooking up to the blue trail. There are some beautiful bridges and boardwalks here.

I liked it in the past but knowing the history now bums me out but a great park

I liked it in the past but knowing the history now bums me out but a great park

Little wet on Hidden Creek. But passable. Beautiful day walked 3 1/2.

I live near by. I walk here as much as possible . Mostly the Hidden Creek Trail and I add in the the Pine trail. I think I have walked all of the marked trails. I have been tempted to go off on some of the unmarked trails but haven't . I consider myself lucky to live so close.

What a pleasant surprise. I live so close to this park, but never visited until today. I debated upon two trails to hike - Hidden Creek and/or Pine Hills. The Hidden Creek trail was muddy, but the sea of skunk cabbage upon the wooden bridge made it worthwhile. I came upon a trail jogger who suggested to continue on to Pine Hills. Pine Hills trail is like its name and such a great hiking experience. As I approached the top, I spotted a camel colored fox in the distance. I wish I had my camera ready, but he disappeared just as quickly. On the downhill loop, I came across a man made balancing rock structure. Such an unexpected surprise and I placed my rock on it to symbolize I was there too. I will return and I hope to finish the rest of the trails, but today was a good beginning.

Easy hike. Very sparse traffic.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

My wife and I really enjoyed this hike. It has little hills that break up the usually flat jersey hikes. We will be visiting again

Sunday, October 23, 2016

was rough on the bike. lots of tree roots, better hiking than biking

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Legit. Nice and wide open, service the whole way for easy map use. There's a fit trail as well. My dog loved it. Saw a couple people less than 5. Easy definitely not a difficult trail but can be. Good for running nice even ground.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

took my 11 and 7 year old ...it was a fun starter trail for the kids.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

River's Edge was fun. Narrow path, some muddy parts, steep steps in certain places, lots of greenery. Went with my teenage daughter and enjoyed every moment. Did Hidden Creek next which was much easier with wide open paths. Great trails overall!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

The Shark River Trails are such a treat! Not being from the area, I'd never have guessed that this delightful diamond could be found in the city "rough!" The fit trail is a blast and makes for a super dynamic workout. Also, the way the sun cuts through the trees while birds and squirrels scurry around you makes for a truly peaceful experience! Not super heavily trafficked that I've seen, and most of the trails have a pretty wide path. If you're in the area, I would definitely check it out!!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

I hate the spider webs lol but I love this trail. I just started running and trying to get in shape and with all the hills I know I'm getting a good work out. I know I'll be back. I love nature so this is the perfect spot for me!

Friday, June 10, 2016

I love this park. Been going to this park for over twenty years and it's a jem. Today I took the more challenging 1 mile one way on Rivers Edge. if your traveling east it has some challenging uphill climbs. Maybe difficult for some. the only thing to remind you that you are in a built up area is the sound of the highway in spots.
love this park. it's beautiful.

Friday, June 10, 2016

What a great little surprise in Neptune, NJ! I love the jungle feeling of lush, green trails with accessible streams. It is a refreshing change from the woods walks we find so many times. I took the outside loop and added the pine hills trail loop for good measure. Trail is well marked with the only confusing point coming at the intersection of a large field. The AllTrails app was a lifesaver here.

As with most hikes, I go early. As a result, I was alone on the trails the entire route. One of the beauties of this trail is that it gives you the feeling of being in a remote location for most of the hike, when you are actually in the center of Neptune, NJ. Quite a trick these days. This little system is one of my new favorite local hikes!