Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Schooley's Mountain Boulder Gorge Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(457)
Schooleys Mountain Park

Schooley's Mountain Boulder Gorge Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Long Valley, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 672 feet Route Type: Loop

It was a good trail. I don’t know if I did clockwise or not but we did (Yellow/blk dot) trail as far as it took us. Then we hit the waterfalls which was beautiful and relaxing. A little crowded though by the water. On the way out the trail is blue. I wanted to do the full loop but took a wrong turn ended up in pink so we took that same way to finback today the parking lot. My daughter wasn’t to happy with the rocky areas.

Easy trail- did it counterclockwise. The river/waterfall portion was pretty but mostly it was just woods

Nice variety in trail terrain! We parked in the Fairview lot. Crossed the road and hopped onto the white (patriots path) trail, to the blue and then went through parking lot to pick up orange trail (meadow), to yellow to beeline (yellow and black dot trail) Recommend doing clockwise like we did because the first mile was incline and involved a great deal of rocks to maneuver upward (I can see this being a little tricky, but do able, if you are trying to go down from the counter clockwise direction). The waterfall off of blue trail was beautiful ! It was so quiet and peaceful ! When we got onto the bee line trail we actually saw alot of fox droppings and ran into a fox that was about 20 feet from us. It was digging and running around , definitely stay alert ! It didn’t bother us but definitely startled us at first ! Trail had a great variety of terrain we loved the change in scenery from one trail to the next ! The only thing that would have made this 5 star is if there was a summit ! Otherwise it was a really beautiful hike !

excellent hike

Great trail! So glad this was our choice for the day. Got there at 9am and barely a car, left at noon and it was mobbed. As far as which trail to do first/last, depends on your taste: start blue/white if you want all the challenging and photo-op stuff in the first half (and come down yellow). Or go up yellow (steep ascent but kinda boring) and do all the cool stuff on the second half. Either way it’s a great trail. Took me and my son (8yr) 3hrs. Although we did the green trail (out and back) that was in the middle and we stopped to eat at the falls.

Great trail! It was an easy loop. Park in the lot the directions take you to, then take the trail across the street. Start by following the yellow trail, then it switches to the blue/blue and white trail. Enjoy & stay safe!

Definitely go clockwise (blue/white then bee/yellow trail). We went counter-clockwise and it felt more difficult than it should be. Going up the bee trail was a bit tough and going down the blue/white there was a small scramble that would have been better going up then going down. But the trail is moderate, not too bad, a good workout and it's very well marked. Wouldn't go again, but it was fun.

Nice hike, however so confusing to follow the trail. There were so many trail options.

Easy to get to the small scenery view and waterfall, pretty rocky trail but good hike. Definitely suggest for family and pets

Quick trail with a cool breeze

Arrive no later than 10am if you want to avoid crowds. The trail has so many spots for pictures so if you like to take pictures come with lots of time. LOVED the waterfalls!!! Very rocky but lots of fun.

I loved this place really peaceful will definitely go again!. I didn't find it hard but my friend and my 12 y.o did find a bit hard the blue trail right next to the water fall because it was rocky.

Great hike! Steady inclines and declines, some rocky sections and scrambles. Not terribly challenging, but still a great hike. My favorite part was the waterfalls. Park at the Fairview Ave parking lot and take the trail counter-clockwise. COVID19: trails were not too populated and lots of opportunity for social distancing.

Great trail, especially for families and dogs. Not too rocky but not boring. The falls have beautiful views and the loop is a great workout. Great social distancing abilities as well !!

Climbing Boulders, hiking over waterfalls, Sunshine coming through the trees, trail was in great condition. Beautiful and challenging hike!

I would recommend this trail. It was a quick hike (we hiked the blue/white trail). It was very rocky , but a relatively easy trail. The waterfalls were really the highlight and the reason I drove out to NJ. Parking was pretty easy. Only negative is the bathroom by the lake is currently closed and there was no nearby portapotty

flooded

my favorite hike in NJ! just challenging enough to make you feel like you got a good workout in, but not exhausting. small section of rock scrambling, views, and waterfalls. what's not to like?? reminder: take only pictures, leave only footprints