Schooley's Mountain Boulder Gorge Loop Trail

Schooley's Mountain Boulder Gorge Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Long Valley, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Patriot Trail is a good fast walk/run with some nice steep climbs. The detour to the waterfall is steep and good for the quads although the waterfall is really a brook. We went on a Saturday and we had it all to ourselves. Due wear hiking boots the terrain is rocky and the leaves hide them quite often.

great hike! I only did the blue trail since my dog was getting tired but very pretty, scenic hike. I didn't think it was difficult at all, mt tammany was much more difficult. The waterfalls are beautiful and it only takes a mile in to see the view from the top of the rocks.

Didn't quite do the whole thing, but we loved it. Beautiful waterfall!

Great little hike. Great waterfall views!!

Excellent work out. The trail can become confusing as there are many trails that intersect with each other, so you need to keep your eyes on the trail markers or you could be heading down a different path. That happened to me, but it turned out ok as I was following the white trail, then I was on the pink trail that lead to the blue/white trail to lookout point. From there I followed the Blue and white trail to the Falls, a much easier access to the falls from the lookout point. From the falls you can either turn back to climb the rocks to continue towards the lake. From my perspective, climbing up would be much better than going down. Be careful climbing up as you may loss track of the trail, which I did, and had to go back down a bit to pick the trail back up. from there to the lake there are several more falls, which I'll go back later to photograph, before arriving at the lake. From their I ended up following another trail that took be back to the look out point, then following the blue/white trail, ended back at the trail head. Total miles was 2.9. I'll go back.

Great local hike with a pretty waterfall!

Very clean and scenic hike! Moderate if you take the blue trail but pretty water fall!

We took the teal trail on the left and then switched back to the green trail to see the falls. Steep descent and not much more than a brook, but nice. Went back up green and continued on teal to the lake. Went to the upper meadows and then took yellow all the way back down. It was a nice little hike. Recommend it.

I've been hiking here for just about 10 years- while at camp when I was young- and just on my own. It's a beautiful hike in all seasons and is a great training area for anything looking to get into back packing! It's also great for anyone into birding

A moderate, largely unmaintained loop trail that winds down the mountain and has a steep incline to finish. Trail is well marked with a couple of nice views along the way, as well as a 0.5 mile reroute to a waterfall. Would recommend on a nice day!

Short, easy and scenic !

Great view Went up the blue trail and back the white trail. Good short hike. Waterfalls were very nice. Will hike again.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

So which trail actually takes you to the waterfall?

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Fun, accessible trail with pretty views. Parking lot is across from trail head. We had some trouble following the trails after stumbling upon the playing field-- we wound up crossing a bridge, passing through a wedding at the Lodge (sorry about that, folks) and taking the green trail south. Crossing the river just beyond the waterfall was fun.

Monday, September 04, 2017

did this trail today and wow. first off where the app has you park you need to walk across the highway to hit the trail head otherwise you will be on the flat bike trail. trails are well marked and the falls are beautiful. once you hit the falls and climb up the blue trail its a bit tricky getting back in track. our dog was able to climb up and out but shes hiked a bit. not for an inexperienced dog. overall great views, clean park n will do it again. not buggy either which was a plus.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Decent trail. Moderate at some points but then fairly easy overall. The High Point Path does not have any views or anything despite its name. The best view is on the Patriots Path right where it meets the pink trail. That view was pretty nice and had a bench and shade to have a snack. The waterfalls off the dam are also really nice. There is a path following the river that parallels the Patriots Path. Overall, decent hike and there are some more trails to explore so I will be back.

Monday, August 28, 2017

got lost a lot. saw a meadow of wildflowers but no waterfall

Thursday, August 17, 2017

It's a beautiful little day hike. We parked at Gillette parking lot and walked across the street to the Patriots path. We went up and first got to the look out, then the trail led us to the bottom of a beautiful waterfall. Hike to the top of the waterfall and it leads you to a lake and a little wildflower meadow! Our furbaby Jax loved it too!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Got lost on 2 trails. Use the blue path starting from Schooley mountain park. Awesome waterfalls though. Taking a dip was fun.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Today was our first time going to the falls. It was fun and the falls provided additional entertainment. Our German Shepherd loved the hike as well.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Love this area so much, so beautiful.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Hiking along the waterfall is the highlight.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

great waterfall , rough trail

Sunday, November 20, 2016

We did not do the falls, rather using this map parked in lot on Fairview and hiked up to see the view. It was beautiful and although difficult in some spots for my younger son (9), a fun, short hike. Took us about an hour.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Very nice hike.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Good trail, pretty well marked. Had a great day hiking!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

It was a bit boring for me, but next time I will do all the trails within the trail system and I'm sure it will be better. Great for kids.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Great scenes and a nice view of the town from 900 feet up. Most of the trails are clearly labeled and have a fun mix of rocky and flat terrain.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Different portions of this trail are very different. The section along the stream is quite rocky and involves some scrambles over rocks and fallen trees. It basically follows the white on the hill or the blue along the stream. The other half follows the yellow grand loop trail and the beeline trail. That portion is generally wider, less steep, and less rocky.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

This park has a lot to offer for anybody. Has waterfalls, a lake, meadows with beautiful flowers, and an awesome view to top it off. The trails are kind of hard to follow but if you follow the colored marks on the trees then you will be fine. Don't take the highland cut if you want to see the view, follow the grand loop until you hit the sign for "overlook"