Sandy Hook Hiking Trail

Sandy Hook Hiking Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Highlands, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

beach

Take the Garden State Parkway to Exit 117, and continue on NJ 36 East for 13.5 miles, following signs to the Gateway National Recreation Area.

Great for biking

Very nice!

Great flat view of beaches and nice side trails to lighthouse and river views. Flat terrain so easy on legs. We biked most of it and took a walk to beach where river meets ocean.

It's not a bad ride. It's easy and you have the ocean view.

Great place! Hike the whole 7.0 mile trail you won't regret it.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Great hike mostly paved did the walk onto the beach was nice lots of military buildings great walk for anyone does get a little windy

Monday, July 04, 2016

HOLY TICKS. My dogs got over 30 TICKS within an hour and I'm not joking. Too risky. Won't do again.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The trail is paved multipurpose (pedestrian and bicycle) route from near Parking lot D to North Beach. For the most part it runs along the main road. There is a also another hiking trail running east along the beach but that trail is hard to follow. Nice easy pedestrian/bike trail. If you are waking, keep a eye out for bicyclists.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Great trail, very flat and easy to navigate. Good beach access at any point in the trail. Great way to see Sandy Hook through a new perspective.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Easy flat trail. Well marked. We went early and had a great day! I had no idea Fort Hancock was there so we took our time exploring. Beautiful scenery, ocean views, I think this will become our favorite "go to" trail!

Monday, July 06, 2015

Loving it

Monday, August 04, 2014

Beautiful but not a mountain bike trail. Just an easy flat trail.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Perfect trail and had so much fun. We biked the full length of the trail and felt great. The trail is paved which is awesome and the scenery is gorgeous. The trail is parallel to the ocean at most times so you constantly have a water view. Sandy Hook is a narrow island like which really help ensure that you have constant water views. Also the old military base and fort Hancock were great to visit and taking pictures. Definitely recommended.

Monday, September 16, 2013

We biked the full length of the trail from the visitors' center to North Beach, through Fort Hancock. There's one main trail running up the peninsula, with additional branches on the northern side. Lots of beautiful scenery, sand, beaches, bay views, ocean views toward NY harbor, some forested areas. As expected on a beach trail it's very flat, just a few slight rises as it passes over some dunes. Very easy biking on any type of bike. A few of the brach trails dead end at roads which you need to share with cars to reconnect with the trail, but on our weekend ride in September, these roads were not very trafficked. This is a mixed use trail and is very popular with walkers, joggers and bicyclists. So in season it may be a bit congested. After we rode the full length of the trail and most (if not all of the branches) and got back to the visitors center (about 12 miles) we continued a few miles south into Sea Bright. Here the trail goes past a high stone jetty, blocking the sea view. There was also a lot of loose sand on parts. Overall we had a great day. Recommended for any level bicyclist (or walker) who wants an easy, flat route with great beach scenery. Except for the few forested areas, you'll be in direct sun, so don't forget the sunblock. Off season especially, the shore will be a bit cooler and windier, so bring a long sleeve shirt.

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Got there early 8am and finished by 11am and we stopped frequently to take pictures. Beautiful old military structures and houses that I didn't know existed. Paved and well marked path for bikes, you can't possible get lost.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

I've walked the trails, fished the beaches, surfed/swam the waters of this National Park every year.
My weirdest(?) encounter was taking a side trail off of Atlantic Drive, before Gunnison beach, and seeing all these wind breaks set up in the sand.
Curiousity got the best of me to see what was going on and as I walked towards the surf was greeted by a male nudist colony.
Needless to say I avoid that trail.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Been here numerous times over the decades. There are dune trails, abandoned military structures, and there is a long paved pathway for runners, rollerbladers, and bicycling. Plenty of beach to walk, ocean and bay side. There's a lookout 'tower' near the tip, but even if you just sit on the beach you can watch boats of all sizes as they come up the chanel into the bay or into NY harbor. Unfortunately the tides always leave a lot of debris at the tip though. But it's still worth a visit if you're already hiking/biking on the hook anyway.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Monday, August 08, 2011

I CAME HERE SEVERAL TIMES AS I JUST MOVED FROM THE SHORE, I LOVE THE HIDDEN UNDER GROUND TUNNELS, FUN AND SCARY.