Rutgers Gardens Via Heylar Woods Trail

Rutgers Gardens Via Heylar Woods Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Brunswick, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Rutgers Garden is a 0.8 mile trail located near New Brunswick, New Jersey. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Fourth visit to RU Gardens. Beautiful scenery and easy trails for pups. Family oriented and the staff is very helpful.

Went for an evening walk after work, very pretty area and a lot of different trails to explore. This should be rated as an easy trail.

Fun walk along the water. Very muddy today.

Awesome trail !

Monday, May 08, 2017

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

beautiful area

Sunday, September 25, 2016

This isn't a hike as much as it is a walk through a lovely wooded area.

Friday, September 23, 2016

I loved this little park. It is so pretty. My dogs loved it to. I have not been back in a few years but I was fascinated by it. Wish I could post the pictures I had but they are not in this phone. Wish it were a longer trail and closer to my home. And I agree with the previous post. It is not really moderate. I would call it easy.

Monday, September 12, 2016

This is definitely an easy trail and not moderate. I took my two kids, one of their friends and the friends Mom. The kids had fun climbing over fallen trees. We mixed the red and yellow trails during the late afternoon. The weather was perfect and it was a nice leisurely hike.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Small pretty park with wonderful gardens

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pine trees remind me of being back in Maine. Not a lot to hike though here

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Wish there was more markings but very pretty overall

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Went earlier in the day with my lab. Not many people which was a good thing bc I off leashed him. A very zig zag trail. Not the easiest to read

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Close to home hike. I live nearby so I go for a quick jog through the woods, but beware if you're traveling from elsewhere. Students kind of trash the trails with garbage, lots of graffiti. Sad because the views of the raritan are pretty nice as is the forest.

Monday, June 15, 2015

close to home and we did about 4 miles through the greens and the trails. trails not marked well but if you get "lost" its easy to find the way back.
scenic and fun .. great for a hike with a few friends..

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

4/14/14 took under an hour. there are two red marked trails and a yellow trail. We mixed it up. starting at the sign (which I put out a cigarette which someone left to burn) taking the double red marked trail up toward rt1 taking the wide path past the pines. down under the bridge stopped at the dam. We usually go father but the tiny stream was washed larger. not for me to cross. headed back along the water but found ourselves climbing up because take trail disappeared. for the most part the downed trees are mostly cleaned up. there are many dead trees laying against other trees I'd hate to be the one under the trees when they come down.

Friday, August 16, 2013

This trail begins inside Rutgers Garden close to the log house. There are still a lot of downed trees, but nothing to difficult to pass. The trail is not well marked but it is easy to follow....don't worry, it's a big loop and nearly impossible to get lost.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

John N I did this trail summer of 2012 after going to the Farmers Market on Riders lane. The entrance is to the left of the market when facing it. The trail was put together by the Boy Scouts and leads into the bamboo forest. A short trail. They did a good job.
For more of a trail ride down the road to Frank G Helyar Forest entrance across from Rutgers Cabin. Which we hiked today. Lots of tree down from Sandy and they were cut away from most of the trail. We started at the Frank G Heylar Forrest sign going straight up to the fence not through it.making a right on the inside of it. A very large tree with lots of shrub coundn`t pass it. So we went back and made the next left taking us to the open pasture then passing the Pine Forrest where the Field of Heroes monument is. Some tree down in it but not bad. We continued down to the Damn along the Farrington Lake Reservoir. At which point we made a right along the water. Did have to climb over a couple large trees that were down in the path.