Learn more

Rockcores, Garvey Springs, Appalachian, and Douglas Trails Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(80)
Worthington State Forest

Rockcores, Garvey Springs, Appalachian, and Douglas Trails Loop is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and ice climbing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,499 feet Route Type: Loop

Great Views of Delaware Water Gap. Glacial Pond. Appalachian Trail From trailhead, hike a tenth of a mile north. On the right hand side of the road, you will see a gate, and a trail going up. Climb the trail. The first area will be grassy, quickly followed by a young forest. This part of the trail will be marked by a green dot on a white rectangle mark on tree trunks. When you intersect with the orange rectangle marked trail, turn left onto it, until you climb to the Appalachian Trail intersection (AT is marked white rectangles). On the AT turn south (right), and on the next intersection, turn left into a trail that will border the pond, and will start to amaze you with how beautiful this area is. Keep walking. You will find a wood road where you turn right, and walk for a while until you join the Appalachian trail again, this time traveling north (right). Here is where you will truly enjoy the pond. There are several rocky overlooks to the left, where you might want to lunch. Reach orange trail, and retrace to car.

Beautiful hike. The trail was clear the whole way and pretty well defined. Felt very secluded until the AT and Sunfish Pond. Honey suckle and mountain laurel's were in bloom.

Sunfish pond is beautiful when frozen over. Watch the rocks can be slippery. Beautiful scenery

So instead of staying on Rock Cores on the back end of the loop I kept going down to the road at the second split (at about 4.5 miles, left on Donaldson I think) because tired. I went up the steep way to get that climbing mess out of the way, and it wasn't nearly as rough as I thought it was going to be. Honestly I would rate this as moderate with the exception of the AT section along Sunfish Pond with its bonkers rock field that runs about seven tenths of a mile. Watch. Your. Step. Met some nice thru hikers and their hiking dogs as well as a super cool Appalachian Trail Ranger who goes by the name of Skooby. The descents are looong. Trekking poles are your friend. Will definitely try this in the winter.

Fun. If you bring trail mix make sure your family has not eaten all the dried fruit. Besides that it was great.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Wed Jan 09 2019

When you get to the top of the clearing of the first ascent the trail marker to the right was obscured by a lot of brush, but after a descent amount of time eventually found the trail markers and continued our hike. Overall I recommend this trail!!!

Wed Nov 14 2018

The trail’s start was a great initial ascent and really got the blood pumping. Upon reaching the clearing at the top, the trail marker to the right was completely obscured by brush and took me a few minutes to pull out my trail map and use the GPS to get myself on track. Other than that, was a beautiful hike. As I came in mid-November, there was little wildlife to be seen, and I encountered no other hikers all morning, so was a very serene and quiet hike. I would come again!

Sun Sep 16 2018

AllTrails has this hike at 5.8 but when we tracked it using AllTrails we came up with 7. This is a solid moderate to low end difficult and is a great trip thru nature. We came across some deer and lots of salamanders and toads. Our Jack Russell Piper enjoyed toying with the roads immensely. Some of the trail is overgrown but we opted for hiking pants so ticks were not an issue. We did douse ourselves in bug spray and that seemed to be a wise decision. It got crowded at Sunfish Pond but that’s to be expected as it really is quite beautiful.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Great day hike or trail run. Plenty of other trails connecting to make hike more challenging if desired.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Lovely hike! You pass a ton of cascades and sunfish pond is really nice. It felt like we walked on pointy rocks for over a mile, so make sure you wear appropriate shoes for that. And if you take the blue and green trails there, there are multiple creek crossings which were a little tricky. I ended up with 1 wet foot and wish I'd worn different shoes.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Started at the Douglas trailhead lot which had a decent amount of parking. Headed up the Douglas trail which was a pretty steep climb but the trail was wide and we took it at an easy pace. Connected with the AT and followed that to an area with a very nice overlook of the valley. Continued on the AT until we got to Sunfish Pond where we scoped out a shady spot for some lunch. Found a shedded snakeskin near our lunch spot which was neat. After lunch, got back on the AT and hugged the shoreline of the pond where we saw a few salamanders and a bunch of frogs. At the far end of the pond we came to the Garvey Springs trail which headed back down the mountain. At the junction with the Rockcores trail we went right which seemed to be a less traveled trail and it definitely paid off. As we made our way down we came across a young black bear digging through a rotting tree stump. Upon noticing us, the bear calmly ambled up the mountainside and out of sight. A short distance further and we were back to the parking lot. All in all, a nice 5 mile loop for a late morning / early afternoon hike!

Sun Feb 18 2018

Nice views around the lake, otherwise mediocre views. Challenging steep uphill section to begin with for fit persons. Hiked feb 18. Took 3hr20 without stops. iPhone measured at 7 miles (?) would give 3.5 if could.

Mon Jul 10 2017

Hikers, Please be on the lookout for 2 runaway dogs - they hopefully are still traveling together but that may not be the case any longer. They left my home near the Mohican Outdoor Center on Friday 7/7 2017 and I have not seen them since. They are friendly nothing to fear but we want them home desperately. Please call/text with any info any time - 862-579-5671 - Laurie

Sat Jun 03 2017

Sun Apr 16 2017

Nice beginners hike in the DWG area. You can get to the pond in about 1 to 1.5 hours (slow pace with plenty of breaks) via the green to orange to white blazed trails if you are looking for a little shorter out and back. A small parking area leaves a short walk along the road to the trailhead. Ticks were bad in the very beginning, so plan solid tick prevention. We didn't see any more after the first break. My kids definitely liked the pond and playing on the rocks. It is a little rocky up top, but no more than normal for the area. Plenty of wildlife... Looking forward to returning when the ferns are in full growth!

Fri Jan 06 2017

Overall great place for a hike. Off-season serenity. See photos.