Ramapo Schuber and Ridge Loop Trail

Ramapo Schuber and Ridge Loop Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darlington, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Begin at the main entrance and take the Halifax Trail around Scarlet Oak Pond. Here the park has an urban feel, paved roads and many dog walkers & joggers. The trail enters the woods, becomes more rugged & begins to climb towards Hawk Rock. Here you can clearly see all the way to NYC. The Halifax Trail leads down to Havemeyer Rd, and old mine rd, and meets a pipe line road. Follow this up over Drag Hill to the Cannonball Trail. This area became park property in the 70's & many houses & foundations can be found intact around Bear Swamp Lake. The Cannonball Trail leads you through the BSA's Camp Yaw Paw and to the Yellow trail. Climb and cross the pipeline road again to wonderful views of the Ramapo Valley below. Descend to meet the Bear Swamp Creek.

nice hike but like most got lost and ended hiking 12 miles. drag hill was exhausting in full sun but teddy of hike was moderate in the shade. Did it clock wise, trails around three camp were non existing. I was with my dog and didn't see any humans between first and last 30 minutes.

Nice hike. Well marked up until the bear swamp lake, at which point the directions on map seem to go off the trail and across a small mountain. I stuck to a trail that went around that mountain to the left. that part of the hike was the least interesting to me, and with a missed turn it ended up being just under an 11 mile hike for me. Looking back, I think you'd be better off taking the path to the right of the mountain where the directions go off the trail. All all it was a nice hike.

Awesome hike, a little strenuous at times but nothing crazy. No scrambling needed. Contrary to other reviews, I found it relatively easy to find the way. A couple wrong turns here and there but you quickly realize it. Minor inconvenience for a great hike. Beautiful views towards the top and varying fauna throughout make it consistently interesting. I brought my dog who has unlimited energy and he had an amazing time. Although it says dogs on leash, once I got past the first lake at the base I let him off and didn’t see a single person until I got back 9 miles later, no issues. I did pass a kids day camp (?) in the middle of the hike, was quite confused by that. The old castle ruins were very cool, but be careful of poison ivy. I will likely be getting a rash soon :/ The bugs can get pretty bad, I went right after a storm so they were probably worse than usual. Spider webs abound, just don’t hug the trees and stay aware and you won’t walk through too many. You pass by quite a few untouched lakes with nice display of wildlife. A couple were even nice enough for my dog and I to take a swim. Would definitely recommend

This beautiful trail was a bit confusing to maneuver, but was still enjoyable. The view of Bear Swamp Lake was picturesque, and the unmarked trails were fun to navigate. We saw various kinds of wildlife as well. Bug spray is needed.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Directions are not accurate at all. It would have you turn right into the Forrest and Bushwhack. Do yourself a favor and get the park map and follow the trails.
Beware of the yellow trail. Very poorly marked. Everything else is marked well.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Love it!!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Once you break away from the main part with the lake and resevior It is pretty much all to yourself. Even through the camp we so no one. We started seeing people again towards the very end. Basically once you get away from the main part of the park, it's all yours. At least from my experience.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Over crowded, was disappointed.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Excellent walk

Thursday, June 27, 2013

It was a great hike andalthough a bit strenuous, was very pretty. Then only thing is that if you follow the orange markers it can be very misleading and it's very easy to get lost.

Friday, May 17, 2013

It was a challenging hike but very hard to stay on trails because everything crosses each other. My group hiked from the start to the red trails to the orange to yellow and back to orange eventually in order to get back to the start. We saw a few ticks and one was even on my sock. I would hike it again just because I know the best ways to get around the woods and stay on the proper trails.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Great variety and lots to see, but can get really crowded on nice days and weekends. I got engaged at the top of the trail that overlooks NYC so this is one of my favorite places!

Saturday, July 08, 2017