Ramapo Overlook to Lake Todd and Waterfall Trail

Ramapo Overlook to Lake Todd and Waterfall Trail is a 2 mile out and back trail located near Oakland, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike to nice overlook, scenic lake and waterfall. Take the white blazed Todd Trail on the east side of Skyline Drive (trailhead is directly across from parking lot). The trail descends through a rocky forested area and soon meets, then leaves a woods road. Continue on the white trail to a nice overlook with views of the town of Oakland below. Retrace your steps and pick up the yellow blazed trail on your right. The trail will skirt a swampy area and pass by scenic Lake Todd (a great spot for a lunch break). The trail then climbs to a grassy area (gypsy moths and recent droughts have killed most of the trees here). Continue on the yellow trail and it will begin a gentle descent back into the forest. Soon you'll hear the sound of a brook in front of you, as it cascades over a series of small waterfalls. The trail crosses the brook just above the falls. A short bushwack to your right will take you past the falls. Return to you car by retracing your steps.

This was a tough one - definitely not "easy." I stayed on the White Trail the entire way but never came to the lake or any overlook or waterfall - perhaps I was too busy making sure I didn't turn my ankle on a rock. Went out quite far on the trail, thru a clearing, to the point where I decided I had better turn back as it appeared to be a trail to nowhere, despite clearly marked White blazes everywhere. The trail was quite rocky and steep at times. I did see the trail head for the Yellow trail, but it merged with the White trail. There was NO ONE else on the trail, as was evident by the cob webs I was walking through on the way out. Mainly saw chipmunks, and no bears, thank goodness. Had to stop several times on my way back to rest and get heart rate down to normal. I personally found this to be a difficult trail, despite some friendly flat breaks along the way. For experienced hikers only.

nice trail. must be great late May when wild rose bushes bloom.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Easy peaceful just what I needed after yesterday's 5 mile 600 feet climb at Stephens park

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Great walk prepare for walking back up on the mountain. Nice view of water and mountains, great for family's with strollers.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Really bad they must have gotten rid of the trail because my girlfriend and i went all over the place looking for lake todd and each entrance says private property or we ended up at a dead end.

Monday, January 05, 2015

Great place for all levels of hiking. Highlight would definitely be the white trail up towards the derelict house and tower on top of the mountain. Enjoy the view from the top!

Happy hiking.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Beatiful and peaceful. Hubby and I went on our first hiking trip, turned around when we spotted black bear(cub).. wasn't sure what to do. Will return to finish trail (which for beginners) was not so easy, doable but not easy! Great experience. 8/12/13

recorded snow