Learn more

Ramapo Mountains Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Loop

A lovely hike to nice views and through some old Boy Scout camps Take the orange blazed Schuber Trl. Then turn right on the white blazed Millstone Trl, which passes a decent view, then joins the Yellow Trl. Together they cross a road, then the Yellow splts to the right and climbs gently. Soon the Schuber Trl joins and together they pass a rocky area with a scenic view. Reaching the green and white blazed Old Guard Trl turn left. The trail climbs and crosses a gasline, then the Cannonball trail and the yellow blazed Hoeferlin Trl. It soon joins up with the red blazed Ringwood Ramapo. There is a view here that is best when leaves are down. Continue on the Old Guard until it reaches the Hoeferlin (yellow blazes) and proceed south. The Cannonball Trail (red w/ white C) soon joins. A short side trip (red/white blazes) brings you to Matapan Rock which has a decent view. Continue on the Hoeferlin/Cannonball as they descend and skirt Skyline Dr and head back into the woods. The Cannonball soon leaves. Continue on the Hoeferlin to your car.

saw two black bears! and two snakes. great hike. went a little off the regular trail for extra exercise. rocks are nice to sit on around the lake to catch some sun rays

Love the varieties of trails I could take to get back to the car parking.

Sun May 26 2019

Dog friendly!!

Mon Mar 25 2019

3.25.19. Great walk, and pretty straightforward as, with the exception of the Hoeferlin trail (yellow blazes), most of the hike is on a single track road, with no roots or rocks. Circumnavigating Ramapo Lake makes this hike: it's not very long and it's beautiful. I saw a few herons and (I think) a few Ring-necked ducks. It says moderate here, but it's definitely on the easy side of moderate. Here are my stats as a guide: Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 420 feet Moving Time:1:40:56

private property
Fri Feb 01 2019

it was good once you found the right trail. we had our kids with us so we found an offer a path that was less climbing up stuff on the way back since it was so icy and snowy out.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Unintended hike down the mountain and back up again whilst trying to find Ramapo Overlook to Lake Todd, which I now know is across Skyline road, on the other side of the mountain! The app kept bringing me out to Skyline Drive from the parking lot which didn't make sense, as I didn't realize I was to cross the road. Nonetheless, a lovely, if not challenging on the way back up (only a "moderate" trail, but was all uphill in the woods on the Yellow trail for a full mile back to the parking lot). Used to hike all the time but haven't done so regularly for many years. Felt great to get back "in the woods" and the Lake was a special treat at the bottom of the hill. Beautiful old Tudor on the way down. Brought the family dog who had great fun smelling and peeing everywhere. Was glad to get back to car and airconditioning! Encountered several people and dogs along the way but not too many at all.

Sun Nov 20 2016

Beautiful hike, however know your trails! We got lost for a bit and our 1 mile intended hike turned into 5 miles lol! The way back is mostly uphill. Lots of photo ops! Enjoy!

Tue Sep 06 2016

This place is gorgeous, there aren't too many people. The trails aren't marked spectacularly so don't make the same mistake I did- leaving the trails at sundown, and getting lost ; Apart from that I highly recommend it

Mon Jun 23 2014

This hike was ok I recommend it to people that like it tough and like to figure things out because when I went we got lost twice and it was kind of hard to find a way out we actually used out GPS on the phone to get out

Mon Oct 14 2013

Really nice trail I took blue trail then red which led me to yellow. Red trail might be strenuous in some places, overall its a really good hike I recommend it.

Sun Aug 25 2013

Pretty tough hike. Went beyond the 8 by taking yellow to green up through the scout camps and to eskine overlook. Back down came out to about 9 miles. Saw a big ass rattlesnake on the green/white blaze trail. Grueling, and difficult to follow at times from debris/downed trees. Had a great time. Dogs are wiped out too

Sun Sep 09 2012

This is another good hike in Ramapo. It's kind of a long one but not a hard hike. The hike is one of those nice walking ones. You'll climb up a hill and back down the hill and you'll do this a few times while hiking the trails. The hills are not bad ones. Ramapo Mountains are a great place to come back to and explore some new trails.