Racoon Ridge via Appalachian Trail

Racoon Ridge via Appalachian Trail is a 5.8 mile loop trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

AOK

great hike. not to heavy on the beginning. if you choose to take the Coopermine Trail loop which is beautiful with waterfalls, that will work your legs. Heaviest 1.3miles part, but so worth it.

Awesome hike! Started at the camp Mohican visitor center where the people were super friendly and helpful. The AT is really rocky, so made sure you were good hiking boots. The views at the top of raccoon ridge are amazing; a 360 degree view. Make sure you go to the top. You'll know you're almost there when you see a worthington state forest sign. We decided to keep going towards sunfish lake but when the trail forked we went right and I think we were supposed to go left. Instead of 8 miles round trip, we ended up doing 10 and never got to see sunfish. We saw two copperhead snakes by the power lines, one of them was the biggest snake I have ever seen. Be wary of the snakes.

Definitely recommend! Easier end of moderate difficulty on the way up the blue trail with awesome views that keep getting better as you reach the Appalachian trail; soak in the view! After you're done, turn right to keep ascending and you will not be disappointed. You will know when you reach the top—the wise one will be there to greet you! Great trail!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Awesome way to beat the crowds from the DWG area.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Not bad! I recommend. Nice view

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

This was a nice hike. I started where this app gave me directions to but just as a precaution, the directions aren't going to get you to the right spot. The location for the start of this hike is not directly on Gaisler Rd. Once you're on Gaisler you have to make a right onto Camp Mohican Rd. You follow that down to the parking lot where you can register and find the trail. The girl at the station was particularly nice. She gave me an orange vest since it was the first day of hunting season. The hike was a little over 5 miles. It only took me about 2 hours but I hike rather fast because I'm tall. I would recommend this hike to anyone, it wasn't very difficult and since it's the AT you can keep going if you'd like. The view at Raccoon Ridge is particularly nice.