Point Mountain Riverwalk Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(51)
Mansfield Recreational Park

Point Mountain Riverwalk Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Port Murray, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail. One of my favorites. A few muddy spots even after a couple dry days but nothing major. Nice and green tons of critters to check out. I’d say it’s moderate as some parts are steep and rocky. If you’re in decent shape you should be fine. The view at the peak is great although it’s sad to see all the bottles thrown about. Please clean up after yourselves!

This said it was good for dogs, but I have two large dogs and the trail I found (not clearly marked) was narrow, bramble-filled and rocky. Somewhat treacherous for someone wanting a short walk with dogs. We ended up walking around all of the fields to get a good walk in.

I was looking for a mountain bike trail and after reading all of the reviews they were geared towards hiking so I was curious. This trail is extremely tough for mountain biking. There was one area in the beginning that was decent for biking but it wasn't very long, maybe about 3/4's of a mile. After that the climbing was very aggressive with lots of rocks mixed with wet grass. The down hills were loaded with rock scrambles. Impossible to stay on the bike throughout. I had to walk or carry 80% of the time. If you are looking for areas to practice some hard climbs or crazy down hills this may suit you but be prepared for lots of bike carrying and pushing oh and don't forget your helmet.

This trail is very rocky and it is a climb, wear sturdy footwear. If you bring a dog make sure they’re comfortable with steep rocky climbs. You have to be attentive to both your footing and the blazers, which can be difficult. Some spots are well blazed, others not so much, especially where the climb up begins. I had to use the app a few times to get back on the trail. There were some muddy spots. Other than that the walk by the river is nice, there’s a beautiful view of Washington at the top, and the way down is much easier to navigate.

great trail! just make sure you charge your phone lol! started with less than 10% and got to the top and it gave up on me

Sun May 05 2019

I took my dog for a walk here today. It was a little muddy, which is understandable with the amount of rain lately. We couldn’t go the entire trail as part was blocked by a large puddle. The wildflowers were blooming, and were quite lovely. There is a large “ravine” in the parking lot entrance, but that was the only downside.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Nice day though a bit muddy from the rain. Tried to extend loop to include the yellow and white trail but had to turn back. Halfway through the white trail right past the camp turnoff the path became hard to cross due to overgrown thorn bushes. Recommend you stick to the orange trail.

Thu Apr 04 2019

very pretty scenery and views. a little muddy at spots, but that's expected this time of year. I loved when we got to the top. epic views. stopped for lunch at the top of the mountain and it was a great spot to set up a hammock and have a picnic. we decided to go down the steps rocky part and my knees defiently felt it later. but well worth it.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Super slippery with snow and ice, however it has a nice view on top of orange trail.

Sat Dec 22 2018

Been here several times and always want to mix it up. This time we did 6+ miles looping around and checking out new trails without climbing the Orange to Point Mountain. Still did over 1000 feet in elevation gain. Nice area to hike with lots of interconnecting trails

Sat Nov 03 2018

My dog an I go here often. It’s really beautiful and it’s an easy walk. Wear boots because it gets muddy! There are a few forks on the blue trail One goes to a dead end, a stream coming from underground. The other goes to an open field connecting the blue to I think the white trail.

Tue Nov 28 2017

Level is all relative but I think the route I took would be more moderate than easy. I started off in a pasture following Orange. Then I followed blue. Then back to Orange. Found myself scrambling up the mountain. Beautiful views. The climb up was actually fun. I bet it's absolutely stunning when the leaves are in full color.

Mon Mar 06 2017

Alittle bit of everything!

Sat Oct 01 2016

Great hike all things we love beautiful overlook then down along river

Fri Aug 19 2016

This is a great little hike for Jersey locals that don't have the time to drive to mountains further away. Its a relatively easy hike so its great for beginners especially if you want to build yourself up for longer and steeper hikes in the future! The view is beautiful in the Fall! If you go after it rains, parts of the loop can get soggy and muddy near these small streams so be prepared with proper foot attire. Parking is scarce, so go early in the morning on the weekend. GPS and a virtual hike of this trail is available on my youtube channel! Hope this helps! https://youtu.be/s3F_i9_nNE8

Fri May 09 2014

When you've got to get a 'quickie' in or just want to step away for a few hours without a haul to get to the hike Point Mountain is a local fav. Excellent outcrops and well-marked.