Mount Tammany - Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

Mount Tammany - Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. This hike is a great warmup hike before larger trips to New England or out west. We always do our training here because it never gets old and the ascent is a good measurement of your physical preparedness. Good trip for dogs.

Usually do the red dot up and red dot down for the fastest route, kind of difficult but definitely worth it for the view.

Great view of Arrow Island, the Delaware River and Mt. Minsi! I hiked the Tammany trail to blue dot, down to green. Went up green for a while to view Dunnfield Creek and then back tracked and followed green to white back to the parking lot. It was a chilly day but absolutely beautiful otherwise. Blue skies, white clouds and just enough snow to make the trails beautiful but not dangerous. I love this hike and will do it again!

Awesome views of Pennsylvania from the NJ side of the water gap. Bring your bathing suit for a jump in a swimming hole on the way out. Check out my full write up which includes directions and things to look out for.

Mount Tammany - Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail has a lot of vivid scenes on Delaware river and Mt Minsi. I give it 5-stars. Also, I evaluated it as moderate-hard, especially at winter time, because at the first part of Red Dot Trail you need put a lot effort to constantly climb up. It's no so easy, especially at winter time, when snow and ice brings some obstacles. But all your effort will be fully rewarded by scenic views from the several places near summit. I recommend this trail as "must have" trail for each who is falling in love to hiking. Blue Dot Trail has no so many great pictures, because you are just going down :). There are some good creeks more closely to the end of trail. Also, parking lots become full very quickly, so try to arrive early.

My fiancé and I completed this hike for the second time on Sunday 2/19/2017. I could not have thought of a more perfect way to take advantage of the unseasonably warm and gorgeous 60° weather! Our first trip was on a 95° day in May. No matter the temperature, be sure to bring copious amounts of water - my fiancé and I shared a little over a gallon of water. Be sure to eat a hearty breakfast before and pack snacks to replenish your energy along the way. While it's two hour drive from our home in Camden County it's well worth it. Take note - this is a heavily trafficked, popular trail. Both times we went the small parking lot was nearly filled! Best to get there early to snag a spot and beat the crowds. I only ever been during the weekend so am sure one would fare better during a week day. Tammany is a perfect opportunity to condition oneself for backpacking as I am trying to do. I carried a 20lb pack which made it noticeably more difficult than my first time on this trail without a pack, however it was a great workout and i familiarized myself with my pack and adjusted the fit. Both times we took the Red Dot up and the Blue Dot down as recommended (I see many people taking the Red Dot down which doesn't look like too much fun). Additionally, I would recommend hikers of Tammany invest in a good pair of waterproof hiking boots or trail sneakers. The snow was still thawing from last weeks storm and the Blue Dot trail was a bit muddy. I see so many people hiking in regular gym shoes which I am sure end up ruined. Not to mention it's easy to loose your footing or slip here and there especially if its wet/muddy. The views at the top of the Red Dot are awesome and Dunnfield creek at the bottom of the Blue Dot is a nice little rewarding treat at the end of this 3 mile hike (which took us about 3.5 hours to complete as we stopped and relaxed along the way).

I wasn't sure how the trail would be in the winter, but it was nice! Great views, and lots of people were out enjoying the trail. A great break from the city. Parking was competitive!

first time we hike this place and we loved it, nice views, definitely love to do again.

Collado was here. Awesome views.

This would be a perfect hike if it wasn't so crowded