Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

MODERATE 1,210 reviews

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. This trail is a great warmup before larger trips to New England or out west. A short yet somewhat challenging hike. The red trail has the challenge of steep uphill portions with the reward of a beautiful outlook at the peak. The way down the blue trail is very pleasant as you see new scenery which includes a winding path through the trees and running water. There is even a small pond that you can cliff-jump into.

2 minutes ago

Great hike. Go up the Red dot (I would rate this as hard) and down the blue dot (moderate). After the waterfall the trail turns into the white dot . Overall it’s a very rocky trail so I highly recommend hiking boots.

Enjoyed the hike and scenary. Use red dot trail to go up and blue trail to come down. Beautiful water falls on blue trail. At the end of blue trail, take white trail [10 minutes] to reach parking lot. Hiking shoes and poles recommend for people who have knee or ankle problems. Continuous elevation.

Great trail! My wife and I had a great day this past Sunday. Met a lot of nice people on the trail. It's definitely a continuous climb to the top, but worth the view.

Great hike!

Lots of rocks

Steep incline. The trailhead marker looks like the flag of Japan

I enjoyed my hike on this trail, but it should be listed as hard, not moderate. There were people old and young on the trail but it’s a very steep climb and it is strenuous. The trail is covered mostly in rocks so I had to focus on my steps at all times and the incline no joke. I loved the challenge but didn’t expect it.

Not dog friendly. Too steep and rocky for them. And if you take the red dot trail - it’s hard not moderate. The prettiest part is right off the blue trail.

My daughter and I hiked this 8/23. We took the Red trail up and continued on the Blue trail back. I'd like to see what the Fire Road would be like but for another day.

The hike up is a very good workout. Both my daughter and I thought it was difficult. There are several places with high gradient over rocks. You can stop at several points for pictures and rest. You think that you are at the top or close several times before you actually reach it. Once you get there, you can scramble down ledge for best views. I wish that we would have brought lunch as the view was great from the top.
The trip down the Blue trail took some time and there were a couple of steep descents but it really is pretty easy. One could go up and down the Blue trail which while longer is most likely easier. You end up on the AT as you exit the hike.

Great hike yesterday! This trail has a challenging side and an easier side. The red dot trail is great to start and ascend up the mountain. Its very steep and rocky and challenging going up on the red dot trail, but this leads to a beautiful scenic viewpoint where you can sit and relax and take in the beauty of mother nature. Then you can descend down the mountain on the blue dot trail which is much easier but still very rocky and wet because at the bottom there are beautiful water falls and a bridge. We brought our dog and he loved the hike. It was a little tough for him going up at some parts but he did very well! I would definitely recommend this hiking trail!

Done this trail about 4-5 times now. I love the area up here one of my favorite spots to camp and this hike is always awesome. Doable for any level hiker but still a good workout and great views !

Love to do the trail at least once a year. Berry season is a plus.

be prepared for lots of rocks

Fantastic trail!! Great workout headed up the red dot trail and incredible scenery toward the end of the blue dot on the way back. I was traveling through on a business trip and I am so glad that I took the time to do this hike! Good trail shoes are a must - it’s very rocky and slippery if wet.

Awesome views of Pennsylvania from the NJ side of the water gap. The trail can be rough in some places. Check out my full write up which includes directions and things to look out for.

It wasn’t to hard but it let me know that Mother Nature can do wonders. Loved it.

Nice hike. Not very steep but surely gets your heartrate up at times. Both Red dot and Blue dot are very well marked. The blue dot trail is gradual and longer but worth the effort while coming down with the jumpin pool and waterfall. Red dot trail means business right at the outset till the top. The views from the top are lovely with the Water gap below and Mount Minsy on the opposite side in PA. If lucky can spot some Bald eagles soaring above.

Great great hike. We took the red dot trail there and back because I had my one year old on my back. The incline was really steep at some points but a really beautiful trail, very well marked. The views at the top make it so worth it. Absolutely breath taking.

Great hike. Red trail climb is a slog and challenging, especially on a hot 80 degree day. 2 gorgeous views of the surrounding Move Taina and rivers. Blue trail back down was gentle and easy. Near the exit is a small creek and swimming hole where we dove in along side 4 other families. Cool water was perfect after a long, sweaty climb.

This hike is truly a workout! The hike consisted primarily of rocky terrain. To an inexperienced hiker, I would categorize this as a hard trail due to the steep inclines and roughness of the path. Trekking poles or a wooden staff is highly recommended when completing this hike. Despite the difficult climb, the summit was absolutely breathtaking. Instant tranquility resided over me once I reached the summit. It was such a peaceful and calm place to be. However, my favorite part of the hike was the waterfalls on the blue trail. It was a refreshing delight! Tip: Start with the red trail and end with the blue trail.

Went up the blue dot trail and came down the red dot trail. It was a very pleasant trail with many great scenic overlooks on the red dot trail and beautiful views on the blue dot trail by the creek. This was not a sunny day in July (7/25/2018). We had scattered showers now and then on the way up, but it was not a problem at all. We did stop under trees a few times when it rained hard, but with the yellow plastic bags covering heads and thick foliage above, we were pretty much dry, body and shoes. Rain also brought the benefits of the low traffic on this popular and usually crowded trail according to All Trails. The rocky path was well maintained and marked. Especially for the red dot path, it was precisely marked maybe due to the difficulties. We had a wonderful hike.

3 parking spots, but come early as this hike tends to get very busy. Crowded, especially at the summit, a lot of dogs. Views are amazing, well worth the trip. Not a long hike, start with the red dot part to get the ascend over with. Coming down might be challenging as well in a different way, I had to get a wooden stick to take some pressure of my knees. Nice river and a little bridge at the bottom of the mountain on the crossing with the green trail. There is a porta potty and a ranger with maps in one of the parking spots

Quite a steep climb. If you have knee issues at all, definitely climb up the red dot and down the blue. Red dot is much steeper.

This is moderate to hard level to my opinion. Rocky steep uphill ascend with views that are awesome and definitely worth the effort. We went week day, not a holiday and there were lots of people on the trail and at the peak. Red Dot Trail is marked very well and goes up to the top. On the way down we took blue trail, also well marked, it's longer but less strenuous. Blue trail leads you to the small but very attractive waterfalls (one spot has a water hole, people were jumping in - fun and refreshing after a hike, next time I'm wearing my swim suit). In the description on All Trails it says that Red Dot Trail fitures a lake, well, not accurate info. Red Dot Trail can take you to the Sunfish Lake, but that wouldn't be 3.5 miles round trip. We didn't go to the Sunfish Lake as we had no time to do 7.5 miles, I also think it's best to do it separate.

Where is the red dot?

Hiking up the red dot was tough but the views at the top were amazing. Also when you're about to hit the green from blue there is a spot where me and other people were jumping into a pool of water from the rocks. Its not allowed but it was very fun. Will go again.

Awesome climb. The view is worth every second of this hike. Walk back using blue trail to cool off at the bottom of the mountain. Will be going back without a doubt.

Definitely a more difficult “moderate” trail. Take your time and bring lots of water, some parts were pretty strenuous. Fantastic view made it worth the climb.

Did it on a Monday with 16 year old son. Great time. Challenging but very doable. First 1 - 1.5 mile strenuous uphill. Last 1.5-2.0 miles. downhill. In and out in 3 hours. beautiful views. Other people on the trail so you feel pretty safe. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Good time.