Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. This trail is a great warmup before larger trips to New England or out west. Dog friendly as well.

Beautiful place!

A very nice workout. Great alternative to running on the treadmill or walking on the stairclimber. The scenery is awesome. Our dog Molly liked it too. 5 paws.

Amazing views and an amazing hike. Absolutely beautiful. A little on the more difficult side as there are many rocks and steep hills, but definitely worth it if you love to hike!

I had a great day and great weather on the trail. We took the red dot up in the blue dot down to complete the loop. The waterfalls at the end where a nice surprise. Saw a bear at the summit for an extra surprise.

It was Fun! It was a moderate hike, with great views and the ending was a great surprise.

This trail is tough. We did the red dot up and the blue dot down. It took us 5 hours to complete. Bring at least a liter of water per person. Very rocky. Did see kids and pets doing the trail but the steepness of the red dot made me worry for their safety. Great view at the 700 foot elevation and the 1500 foot.

This is a great mountain if you want to push yourself. I haven't been hiking in maybe 10 years and chose this to start out with to see what I can do...You need really good hiking shoes with ankle support, you'd think I was wearing 5 in heals the way I was walking down in my sneakers. Also at least bring 2 bottles of water per person there isn't a water source going up. I didn't do the whole loop I turned around by the top cause of time the trail coming back down wasn't marked as well but it is pretty easy to get back. took me ( out of shape and overweight) about 2 1/2 hrs to get to the top and an hour to get down.
walking sticks would come in handy to
Planning on doing the whole thing once I improve in time.

I recommend going up the blue dot and going down through the red dot. The red dot is really steep and has really big rocks, therefore I think it's easier to go down through it and not up. the view on top was gorgeous!