Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

HARD 1,271 reviews

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. The red trail has the challenge of steep uphill portions with the reward of a beautiful outlook at the peak. The way down the blue trail is very pleasant as you see new scenery which includes a winding path through the trees and running water. There is even a small pond. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that it was difficult for their dogs.

Wow what an amazing hike! Definitely recommend taking the red dot trail going up, as it takes 1300 feet elevation in 1.2 miles, which is very adrenaline pumping. Lots of rocks, but not too difficult to do.
And omg, what views from the top !
You get to see the gap and mount minsi and beyond.
If you want to soak in the beauty, go early, and choose less crowded days.
At the summit, don’t forget to go down the rocks little, it’s not visible from top, but that’s an experience u ought not miss.
Took the blue dot trail on descent, though equally rocky, it was a gradual one.
And there s a beautiful little cascade down that trail.
Hike takes 2.5 to 3.5 hours depending on ur time spent on photo ops.
Parking was overflowing when we came back by noon. So once again, go early.

If you want to avoid the crowds, and get a parking spot, I suggest getting there early in the morning. Other than that the trail is perfect. Good for kids,adults and even pets!

The view was amazing but highly trafficked is an understatement. We went on one of the first nice days in April so I can understand why it was crowded but I personally like a hike with less people. I highly suggest wearing appropriate foot gear (I saw some people going up in sneakers and flip flops), there is a steep incline! If it’s your first trail it might be best to go another route.

Awesome views of Pennsylvania from the NJ side of the water gap. The trail can be rough in some places. Check out my full write up which includes directions and things to look out for.

It’s a beautiful place to hike and enjoy the forest and view.

Fun hike done this a few times, definitely get a leg burn going up with a great view at the top.

This was a great, quick hike! The perfect length and difficulty level. Like others recommended, I went up the red trail and down the blue trail which definitely seemed like the better option! It was a foggy, misty day but the clouds cleared just as I reached the summit. The views were absolutely breathtaking! On the way down the blue trail was super muddy and the gnats were pretty unbearable. If I stopped or looked up they would go straight for my ears and eyes. They attacked my neck pretty bad (swollen and itchy) but that’s really my only compliant. The rock scrambles were much more tame than I expected after reading reviews. My 12 pound dachshund was able to work through them without any help.

If you plan to do this hike on the weekend, even on a cloudy/rainy day GET THERE EARLY!! I came two weeks ago around 11am and couldn’t find a parking spot anywhere (even in the overflow lot) so I had to turn around and drive two hours home. Today I arrived at 8:40am and was surprised by how many cars were already in the primary lot. When I left around 11:30am all of the lots were full. And this was on a crappy weather day!

I can’t wait to come back when the weather is nice to do this trail again!

Good workout. Enjoyed the fog!

Did this trail in July, took Red Dot up and Dlue down. Trail requires some rock scrambling in spots which was fun and not dangerous. Beautiful views at the top.

done this trail often. sunset, mornings and afternoons. it was actually my first hike which really gave me a workout. but now it's not as hard after you go a couple times. I'm dying to make the sunrise one of these days. I took my dog for his first hike and he did good but towards the end he started limping. one of the rocks hurt his paw pad. so now before hikes I put a special cream to protect his paws. he loves hiking though, I went up to the lemon squeeze in NY and couldn't take him....he ignored me for 2days

Great day. Went up red and down blue. The terrain was definitely a decent challenge. It was steep and quite rocky although well marked and completely navigable. Views are fantastic.

Phenomenal hike. We went up the red and down the blue. Trail was well marked and weather was everything. I’d recommend red up, blue down. Red trail up, you get a tease of a dope view and it’s keeps you motivated to keep pushing to the top. Definitely some loose rocks and steep but you’ll make it through; i was legit monkey crawling up those rocks. The summit is AMAZING! so worth everything that was done to get up there. We hung out there and ate lunch; pretty populated but people are cool. Blue down is not as strenuous, although it is rocky. It has a lot of cool features where you can wind down- so I took it as a leisurely descent and enjoyed all that we encountered: a beautiful water fall and a lake that you can swim in.

Other than that, I’d highly recommend. I’m a fairly new hiker, not quite as fit but I didn’t find the hike challenging. A lot of kids and dogs on the trail too! Take your time and you’ll be fine.

Happy trails :)

I loved this hike! The parking lot was pretty empty when we started at nine, but overflowing by the time we got back around noon. Starting out, it was foggy and cool, but it burned off before we reached the summit. We saw so many different kinds of mushrooms. The summit was awe-inspiring, as were the waterfalls on the way down.

Hiked the Red up, Blue down 9/23. Parked in the smaller of the two lots off of I-80. The (red) trail head is on the left side of this first lot. At 8:30 AM there were only 6 cars. Nice all around hike. With views, rocks, forest, bridges and water you get a bit of everything. Taking the red dot trail up is steep but short. Not long after you begin, you’re rewarded with a great view to keep you going. I would rate this a little more difficult than moderate, but barring any significant knee ailments, if you wear proper shoes, and go at your own comfortable pace, it’s attainable for the enthusiastic hiker in any condition. The blue dot trail (took this down), is longer and slightly gradual, but by no means easy, and there are steep portions. If you take the same trail up and back, you will miss out on what the other offers. Know your pup, I'm not certain this is a good hike for all dogs. My rating: 3.5 stars.

Definitely worth the view... Have been hiking here for years... However, this is the first time we did the full loop with our 8 month old, Logan and trusty Kelty pack...Logan loved it, especially the waterfall at the end!

Always a leg burner...never gets old.., think the rocks are growing on the trail.

I hiked the red trail up and blue trail down. Red trail was a lot rockier and steeper. You definitely have to watch where you’re stepping. My dog, 55lb hound mix, loved it.

It was a bit challenging , definitely rockier and steeper then most reviews make it sound without trying to scare anyone away, I had a 3 year old English bulldog do the loop, if it wasn’t so rocky it would be rated 5 stars , challenging mile descent overall great , be prepared to climb over and down some big rocks

This trail was a great workout! We started on the blue dot trail and went down on the red dot and it took about 1 hour and 40 minutes total hiking at a moderate pace.

Here’s what to expect on each trail:
- River on the Blue Trail
- Rock scramble on the Red Trail
- Blue Trail is not as steep as the Red but it’s a little longer
- Generally rocky throughout both trails but Red has more rocks
- Great view at the top

I would recommend starting on the red dot and going down the blue dot. Make sure to wear hiking shoes and avoid the trail when it’s raining. Lastly I did go with my two dogs (25lbs and 14lbs) and they both did really great.

Update 9/23: Did this trail again a few days later in the late afternoon and came across a rattlesnake and a bear. Both were harmless but hikers should be aware and keep an eye out especially with dogs.

Very good trail and clearly marked, though it is quite rocky near the top. I started with the blue dot trail and went down the red dot trail; I'm glad I did because the reverse would have been much harder. Hiking boots/shoes are recommended as well as poles.

Great hike. Go up the Red dot (I would rate this as hard) and down the blue dot (moderate). After the waterfall the trail turns into the white dot . Overall it’s a very rocky trail so I highly recommend hiking boots.

Enjoyed the hike and scenary. Use red dot trail to go up and blue trail to come down. Beautiful water falls on blue trail. At the end of blue trail, take white trail [10 minutes] to reach parking lot. Hiking shoes and poles recommend for people who have knee or ankle problems. Continuous elevation.

Great trail! My wife and I had a great day this past Sunday. Met a lot of nice people on the trail. It's definitely a continuous climb to the top, but worth the view.

Great hike!

Lots of rocks

Steep incline. The trailhead marker looks like the flag of Japan

I enjoyed my hike on this trail, but it should be listed as hard, not moderate. There were people old and young on the trail but it’s a very steep climb and it is strenuous. The trail is covered mostly in rocks so I had to focus on my steps at all times and the incline no joke. I loved the challenge but didn’t expect it.

Not dog friendly. Too steep and rocky for them. And if you take the red dot trail - it’s hard not moderate. The prettiest part is right off the blue trail.

My daughter and I hiked this 8/23. We took the Red trail up and continued on the Blue trail back. I'd like to see what the Fire Road would be like but for another day.

The hike up is a very good workout. Both my daughter and I thought it was difficult. There are several places with high gradient over rocks. You can stop at several points for pictures and rest. You think that you are at the top or close several times before you actually reach it. Once you get there, you can scramble down ledge for best views. I wish that we would have brought lunch as the view was great from the top.
The trip down the Blue trail took some time and there were a couple of steep descents but it really is pretty easy. One could go up and down the Blue trail which while longer is most likely easier. You end up on the AT as you exit the hike.