Learn more

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(2111)
Worthington State Forest

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Knowlton, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,213 feet Route Type: Loop

As of May 2020, the parking area and bathrooms are closed. There is parking at the Kittatinny Point Visitor Center. Note: The parking lot typically fills up by 8am on weekends. There is no alternative parking area for this trail so, please use caution when parking. Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. The red trail has the challenge of steep uphill portions with the reward of a beautiful outlook at the peak. The way down the blue trail is very pleasant as you see new scenery which includes a winding path through the trees and running water. There is even a small pond. This trail can be done clockwise as well. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that it was difficult for their dogs. Some hikers have spotted bears on this trail.

3 minutes ago

Great trail - the way up on the red was steep and rocky but the rocks were big and easy to navigate. The way down on the blue trail consisted of lots of loose smaller rocks and roots. Overall the hike was quite enjoyable and had incredible views. Only downside was a rattle snake we encountered on the blue trail on the way down.

Intense Hike up the Red Dot & many stones on the return on the Blue Dot. I've got bad knees so the hike down was a bit tough. Overall it's a really great hike! I'd do it again now that I'm prepared!

Great workout. Went up the red trail and down blue. Intense, rocky uphill and nice downhill with refreshing waterfall near the end. A little crowded, but overall recommend for an intense workout.

great!

I went there yesterday (3rd July) arriving around 8:15am. There are no specific opening or closing times because the trails are open (no gates). The car parking is small so you need to arrive early. We managed to find a parking slot but it was filling up fast. The trail is one way so you have to start from the red and continue onto the blue. The red route is very challenging as you have to climb up the rocks. the blue was easy. Awesome view at the top though. We saw dears in the forest which was a pleasant sight too.

We decided after a stay in PA to do the MT Tammany red to blue trail. I highly suggest arriving before 730 , we arrived around 745 and the lots were pretty packed. We were extremely lucky and found 1 open spot right by the trailhead. They did have people who worked there hanging under a tent which was nice in case you were unsure were to go. But once we started our hike... Wow ! What a workout. I’ve finally invested in walking sticks and I highly recommend bringing them! They help so much because of all the scrambles there are to get to the top. The first look out you come to is less than a half mile up. That was actually my favorite viewpoint. Gorgeous view and a lot of people didn’t stop at it thinking the top would be even better. I’m so glad we took some time here! A while later we hit what we though was the final viewpoint with tons of trees. Keep going ! It’s not it .. but if you want some peace and quiet I highly suggest sitting for a snack or just to relax because the final viewpoint is packed with people. It was a cool view seeing how high up you were but is was pretty crowded. We only spend a few minutes here and left to race to the waterfall area. What a great way to end a hike. It was beautiful and so relaxing. As you get closer to the falls you hear all the birds and the water running. It was a super hot day and my feet hurt from all the rocks that I decided to dip my feet in and it was awesome ! If the water wasn’t so so cool I probably would have went in. After hanging here for a while we proceeded on and the rest of the hike was along a stream with a few small stop offs to take it all in. This hike is definitely doable ! But on a hot day it could be overwhelming. Also we did see a small bear. It didn’t seem interested in us at all.. thankfully but be alert. My recommendation is to head out super early, bring walking sticks . RED TO BLUEE and definitely ice water.

Extremely rocky and steep coming up the red dot trail but smooth and overall down the blue. Great waterfall and stream area at the end. Amazing view at the very top of the mountain

This is rated as moderate. I Don’t think so. This is very challenging but so worth it for both the first and second summit. The only negative is that this is a very crowded trail. People are everywhere

Great trail definitely pushes you going up. Came from south jersey (about a 2hr drive) overall very rewarding. The hike can be done fairly fast if you push yourself but very rewarding at the end.

Great trail! Awesome views at a few different spots on the red trail, especially at the top. We saw a bear as we were getting to the end of the blue dot trail/hike, so be on your toes!

great!

It's a great workout, I hike the trail often for exercise and a great view from the overlooks. Normally we go up and down the red dot trail. Some reviews on here claim the trails are one way, and after being chastised yesterday by a rather persistent but misinformed gentleman that I was going the 'wrong way' on the red dot trail (heading back down) I double checked with the park and the ONE WAY RESTRICTIONS HAVE INDEED BEEN LIFTED. There were signs up on mothers day and they stayed for a few weeks after that. BTW the state parking lots off of 80 west are open again and all the cones are gone. For the 4th of July weekend though it will be crowded. Both the red dot and blue trails are TWO WAY again. You can contact Worthington State Forest to verify this.

Great trail! Drove about two hours from South Jersey and arrived around 7:30 AM. One of the first on the trail. Went up and down the wrong way-be sure you go up the red to start, the trailhead starts to the right of the main entrance. Bugs and loads of brush near the river. Lots of rocks and medium elevation at some parts. View is great! Will hear cars on the road almost everywhere during the hike. For it’s location, it’s a very nice hike!

Great hike. Steep ascent on the red dot trail, but at least 3 spots to rest and take in the views of the Delaware River and Pennsylvania. Definitely worth the effort. Getting to the top takes anywhere from 30-60 min. From there, you can descend via blue trail to Dunnfield Creek or stay on the ridge and continue to Sunfish Pond. If you return to the creek, you can take the green trail to Sunfish Pond or go about half way, cross the creek via the red trail and after a short ascent hit the AT. Recommend picking up Map 120 from New Jersey Trail Conference to discover more options. The length of your hike can be anywhere from 4-15 miles. Happy hiking.

Not at all what I had anticipated. Great workout. Lots of trails. Be careful. Pay attention to where your headed. This app worked awesome.

Great trail with a gorgeous view early on the red trail. The high point of the red trail has absolutely breathtaking views! Blue trail heading back down the mountain is easier than going up the red and you have a nice stream of water towards the end. I should mention to be aware of wildlife as I spotted a bear on the mountain as I was going down the blue dot trail

If you Guys love nature and you want some peace this trial will provide you one of the finest views and everlasting experience. Make sure you use the navigation of red dot trial parking ,take plenty of water,take a red dot trial up and blue dot trial down, this way you won’t miss any treasures this trial has to offer. After hard n stiff climb you get a breathe taking view and cool air at the peak and when you come down you will find a cool and calm river that will revive your energy and you will want to go up again.... those deers,sounds of birds , beautiful vegetation’s add cherry on the top. Don’t miss this place guys.

Great view! One of the best view I hike here in Jersey!

Parking lot was full by 10am on a Friday morning so you might have a bit of a wait looking for a parking spot at Kittatinny Visitor Center, but there seemed to be a decent turnover of people coming and going. Short walk under the highway to get to the entrance. It was a one way up the red-dot trail, and one way down the blue-dot trail (although there were some people who either didn't see the many signs or disregarded them). The immediate start of the trail was much steeper and rockier than expected, and unexpectedly kicked my butt. There was no scrambling on this hike. The trail markers were extremely visible throughout the entire hike. First view point was close, with a beautiful view. Top view point was awesome. Going down the blue-dot trail was much more relaxed than going up, still rocky. Towards the bottom there were some streams people were in to cool off. You'll pass over 2 wooden bridges towards the bottom of the trail and then you'll come out a different opening but right next to where you started on the red-dot trail.

a great way to spend the day... bring water you'll need it at the summit! rocky in the beginning with a few scrambles followed by some rocky trails. WEAR GOOD TRAIL SHOES !

I strongly recommend this hike. I am grateful I read other people’s reviews beforehand, though because there are some things to be aware of. Make sure you park at the Kittatiny Visitor Center, preferably before 10am on a weekday. The signs are well marked on the walk over to the Red and Blue tails. We took our time on the incline with frequent breaks, and did fine. The first view wasn’t very far up, and was breathtaking. The second view at the top was also amazing, however it was packed with people trying to get the best view and photos. I was pleasantly surprised to walk along the stream on the last leg of the loop; It was so beautiful with lots of room for potential swimming spots (even though it’s not technically allowed). As with most other trails around the area, it was very rocky, but overall well-marked, scenic, and well worth the 30 minute drive for me. Next time we will come earlier and bring more water!