Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail

Mount Tammany: Red Dot and Blue Dot Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Knowlton, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. The red trail has the challenge of steep uphill portions with the reward of a beautiful outlook at the peak. The way down the blue trail is very pleasant as you see new scenery which includes a winding path through the trees and running water. There is even a small pond. This trail can be done clockwise as well. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that it was difficult for their dogs.

Ice made this rather precarious. Many falls.

One of my favorite hikes. It can be hard- scrambling for sure, but there are different paths. Views incredible

Excellent hike red dot trail up is a workout but awesome!!!

Do this trail every year, multiple times a year! It’s one of my favorite ones in New Jersey!

Great hike, pack strapped to our backs, took the Red Trail up to the ridge and followed the Blue Trail back down. 6 miles in total. Trails were very well marked. Little rough in the snow, hard to see the ice underneath. Spikes would have been a great piece of equipment to have. but all in all a great day in the woods.

Great day hike with pretty cool views of the delegate water gap!

Great day hike. A handful of scrambles but nothing daunting. Terrific views from the summit of southern and western NJ and Penn. Best to arrive early, especially on the weekend. Parking at the trail head proved to be the biggest challenge.

One of my favorite hiking areas. Today we did our yearly Sunrise hike - started at 5:45 am up the Blue dot trail using headlamps. Walking alongside Dunfield creek we could hear the water rushing down the ravine. Shining a light on the water showed nothing but glowing white water below us. The trail was wet and we entered a fog before the top - our gear was soaked - and ice was dropping from the trees. We hit the top around 7 and had breakfast hoping the clouds would break - no such luck. Around 7:40 we headed down the Red trail. It was still cloudy, but it was bright enough to get to the bottom without headlamps. Back to the cars around 9:00 and headed home.

Me and my 9 year old son went up the red trail and down the blue trail. It was much harder than anticipated but we plan on returning to repeat the challenge! Unfortunately the day we went it was raining and the view at the top was covered in fog but it was still a great adventure!

Did this loop on 12/27/18. I hiked the Red trail first in order to get the toughest part of the hike behind me. The view from the top is impressive, especially on a clear day!

I hiked this trail last Spring and Fall of 2017. It was challenging but not too bad. Views throughout the hike are great including a nice waterfall at the bottom. I would definitely go back. It is a nice way to get friends or family into hiking. I saw people of all age levels out there. Trekking poles are highly recommended. Not too crowded on weekdays.

I’ve done this trail several times and it never gets old. The views are beautiful.

It’s a hard rocky steep trail and my daughter (an experienced hiker who turns 6 in a month) completed it with me like a trooper. Fantastic day! It’s heavily marked so you never panic, red dots going up and blue dots going down. Amazing views on the way up of the mountains and landscapes, the trees are bare right now so the views opened up. Once you get down gorgeous waterfalls all along the trail. Will do this again!

Always a good challenge. We went in mid-November. Good idea to bring gloves for balancing your weight on rocks as you climb up the red trail. My hiking boots were great in the melted snow/slush and rocky terrain. Depending on the weather trail runner/sneakers might work but definitely not regular sneakers and don't even think about flip flops.

Nice trail, pretty well marked and very rocky in spots. There were no really tough rock scrambles, and my 60 lb dog had no problems scaling the rocks. We met some friendly fellow hikers at the top and chatted a while, while enjoying some nice views of Mt Minsi and the Delaware River. The blue trail down was easier and an overall nice hike through the forest. There is a pretty creek and small waterfall at the bottom. For a shorter hike, this trail provided a very good workout. Hiking shoes are strongly recommended!

Very nice. Love it

did this counter clockwise , did this trail after minsi for mind the gap. I did prefer this trail only because it had more incline

Went up the Red Dot trail and down the Blue. I have asthma and a chronic cough and am definitely out of shape and haven't hiked in years so the ascent was extremely challenging for me. There are a couple of very difficult spots that are all rock and steep. I almost gave up but I knew the payoff would be so sweet if I made it to the top. I had to stop many times. My poor partner who is very much more fit than I was patient, however, and we made it. I am so glad I stuck with it. The top was amazing and thrilling and beautiful. You can do this! If I can do this, anyone can. Coming down was much much much easier except my toes were jamming into the front of my boots. Beautiful waterfall and stream at the bottom. I felt so accomplished and alive and the end. You must do this!

Like most people, went up Red Dot, down Blue Dot which was perfect. Both are rocky trails and Red was a bit of a challenge for fairly casual hikers like us, but we loved the view at the top. It had rained a lot the day before so much of the trail was muddy and leaf-covered which made some spots slippery, so be sure to wear proper shoes.

Also this was probably the most clearly marked trail I’ve ever been on - red dots everywhere!

Took red dot up which is strenuous. I got there at 0800 and it was quiet. Trail is rocky and mostly up hill. Blue dot coming down is still rocky and that leads to a short part of Dunn field Creek trail which had a water fall and stream. Nice views all along. Had my dog also.

We went up the blue dot trail and down the red dot trail. Red dot is much harder, and it has the best views.

Going up 1200 ft in less than 2 miles was definitely challenging, but it does give you sense of accomplishment and very beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.

I am pretty scared of heights and found this very doable. Going down the blue dot trail is much easier and not as steep.

Challenging hike with a steep start. Make sure to watch your step and wear appropriate hiking shoes. I'd suggest to start with the Red Dot Trail, since the view a the top awards you after the steep climb. After enjoying the stop at the top its a relaxing walk down along the Blue Dot Trail. Make sure to get there no later than 9 a.m. on the weekend since the parking lot will be very crowded. Enjoy!

Ascending up the hill on the blue trail was difficult we missed the red dot trail. We descended on the red dot trail. Easy to follow trail marks. Trail was wet hard very rocky. lookout was beautiful!!!

Took the Red to the Blue to the Green and then back the same route. Really beautiful scenery and great sounds of babbling brooks.

It was a great hike. a couples icy spots but they were easy to get around. great viewpoints. I would recommend bringing trekking poles if you have them they help you keep you balance on some of the rocks. It would be even nicer if there was not a highway next to the mountain but it is still beautiful.

The hike was great exercise and worth the trip. The view at the top was lovely; however the road noise was distracting for me.

Fun!
Red up, blue down.
Beautiful. Not for kids.
Strenuous red up with great views of river; moderate blue down with lovely waterfalls.

This was a great hike. Challenging at times but the views are worth the climb. Great views on the way down!