Monks Mountain Trail

Monks Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ringwood, New Jersey that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

It was ok. Easy. I went with my 14 year old and 9 year old and they never complained. Well marked trail for first 2/3rds. Then lost the trail when it split and walked an extra 1/2 mike before we realized we were off path. Backtracked and saw a split but no white marker. Went up the split about a 100 ft or so and then saw the white markers. From there we were fine. I would do it again with little people. Close to the road in a stretch which was kinda annoying.

Hiked this after work and in a dress and sneakers—took probably around 1.5 hours, white trail the whole time. Really pretty. Didn’t see many vistas (two, but obscured) but I didn’t go off trail much because I was racing darkness so there might have been more. Overall really happy I did it.

Did this one again. its actually 2.6 miles nice views and id rate it as moderate.

Okay easy hike, well marked, and some pretty views of the lake.

Very serene and simple hike. Multiple lookouts and opportunities to soak in the reservoir.

Went kayaking soon after.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Nice easy trail and we'll marked

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Once we found the trail markers it was a nice hike up hill, after rounding the lake it was a mellow trip back !!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

We started at the other boat launch and headed up the trail/road then took the white/silver trail. A few steep parts but beautiful woods and we saw no one else on the trail this morning. Would def do it again.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Myself and the wife. Amazing view from the top !

Monday, February 20, 2017

When the trail first splits from the parking lot, if you have kids, go left and follow the trail around. It's easier. Great hike!

Friday, October 28, 2016

Great easy hike, this time of year the leaves blanket the trails so the hardest part of the hike was judging your footing. Aside from that, the ground on inclines especially is very stable. Great quiet hike.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Wonderful!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Been here many times already and its one of my favorite places for kayaking, Great scenery and the flooded forrest as I call it with its white dead trees gives you that creepy feeling and we've seen alot of wildlife, Im not to sure about the fishing, so far haven't caught anything larger than 6 inches or so, now lets not forget the people that come here are really nice and friendly.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Monksville Resovoir is an excellent place for Kayaking, took my family there and spent 5 hours enjoying this place.

Beautiful scenery, alot of wild life and one of my favorites it the is the flooded forest as I will call it with its many dead trees.

The people best of all are awesome!

Monday, May 27, 2013

Great spot for kayaking and fishing, got to keep and eye for stomps near shore, may want to go really early in the morning at 6:00 am in summer time, overall a beautiful spot!!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stumpy in spots, but a great paddle. Often referred to as skunksville by unlucky fishermen, the spot is known for its bass and muskies.

Monday, March 07, 2011

This reservoir, close to our home, is one of my and my wife's favorite places to kayak. It is easy, even if you choose to kayak around the whole reservoir. The wind can make the chop challenging on rare occasions. You will see other kayakers, canoeists and fisherpeople - and even the odd racing scull - but the reservoir is big enough that you don't feel crowded. For an interesting trip when the water height allows, go from the kayak launch site, through the dead trees left from the reservoir's creation, and go a short way up the stream to visit the Longpond Ironworks. This, of course, requires a maneuverable craft, preferably under 10' long - not a seak kayak.

Sunday, July 23, 2017