Millbrook Village to Vancampens Glen

Millbrook Village to Vancampens Glen is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hardwick, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Branchville NJ take rt. 206 west. Past Stokes forest office. Make left onto Strubble RD. Follow main paved Rd past Tillmans Ravine. Go straight through intersection. Cemetery on left. Follow Rd through town of Wallpack. Make left onto Old Mine Rd. Then hang left at sharp turn. This is 615. Take to Flatbrookville and make left back onto Old Mine Rd. Take Old Mine Rd to Millbrook and park at small lot.

Yes, the river bridge south of Watergate Park was washed away some years ago in a storm, so be aware of that. The trail just south of there is very overgrown, it's not impassable but wear gallons of tick juice if you go.
Just south of Millbrook Village is one of the best parts of this hike IMO,, alongside the stream is a charming old schoolhouse, I'm sure hikers here have seen that, [this following posting won't make your day] but hidden away on a hill just behind there is an appallingly neglected cemetery.
The small headstones seem to be mostly children's and the carvings are almost unreadable now. One said, "born 1834, died 1834". The whole Millbrook Village area is understaffed aiui and needs work, but I'd like to join some effort to clean it up a little.

Due to the Spring storms in the area, the 1st mile section was closed off due to fallen trees. We did slip through and managed to move around the tress, but that section is not unused or taken care of, so it is overgrown. You do need repellent as there are a lot of mosquitos and ticks. Once through the 1st mile the trail opened up and was very nice up to the falls. We stopped there and turned around because the trail past the falls was strewn with fallen trees.

love love love this Trail! I park at Millbrook Village cross the street and follow a trail to a picnic area. I continued over Earth bridge and made a left when I got to the road. A short way up there's, an entrance to a trail on the left. I followed that and eventually found the markings of the Van Campen Glen Trail. Once I reach the parking area at the end of the Van Campen Trail, I went up to the road and across the street to the Hamilton Ridge trail. Quite a ways up the trail there's the Orchard trail to the right and that brings you back down across from Millbrook. You can also take Hamilton to the Pioneer Trail. The Pioneer Trail meets up with the Hamilton Trail eventually.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The first part of the hike is beautiful with well maintained trails and scenic views. Lots of waterfalls. DO NOT CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THE PATH ALONG THE DELAWARE!!!! THERE ISN'T ONE!!! THIS QUICKLY TURNED INTO THE HIKE FROM HELL! Very thick brush with fallen trees and steep terrain. You are literally walking sideways on loose rocks and debris. YOU WILL ALSO BE COVERED HEAD TO TOE IN TICKS DUE TO HAVING NO PATH and walking through thick brush (no matter how much bug spray you use). It becomes impassible. There is no loop. You could continue to follow the double orange which is how the hike should be mapped on this app.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Unfortunately there is a power line hanging dangerously close to the trail at 41.067867, -74.97906. I had to hike through the brush to get around it. That turned out to be a waste of time because, contrary to the map provided, the trail comes to an abrupt dead end at 41.068336, -74.97604. I wound up having to double back until I could find a way back to old mine road. This trail needs some major maintenance.

Friday, April 07, 2017

I have been going to Van Campens Glen for several years now and I am disappointed in the direction that it has headed lately. The trail is beautiful and the views are great, but the people that go there have seemed to have taken over, leaving baby diapers and toilet paper all over. I feel as though the park has been neglected and abused, especially on the major holiday weekends. It is a great place to hike and go for a swim in the waterfall, but beware of who may be there

Sunday, January 01, 2017

I parked at Millbrook Village and took the Orchard trail to a hunting road. Missed the trail as shown on the map but took Old Mine Road then a deer path to a ravine down to the river. It was difficult for me because the trail was not marked or well maintained.

I found a rock wall and followed it along the river through heavy brush and fallen trees until I met back up with the orange trail.

This met up with another parking area and the yellow trail. Again after a while the blaze got difficult to follow but eventually made my way back to the village.

The yellow trail at Van Campens Glen was the highlight of this hike. I will return here but would not trek through the unmarked sections again unless there is serious trail maintenance done.

Friday, October 28, 2016

I went on a Thursday morning and my friend and I were the only ones there. It's a moderate trail. Really cool geological changes to the rocks from water erosion. I will go back again.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Do not go on a Sunday. This is an amazing trail with waterfalls and swimming holes but it gets infested with New Yorkers. You will have a much better experience during the week or even a Saturday.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

This trail is one of my favorites in NJ . Not because of great views or perfect scenery , but because of all the history and fun that this trail has to offer. If your looking for straight hiking , then this trail is not one for you although the short walk to the waterfall will be well worth your time from the Big Glen parking lot on old mine road. The waterfall has a huge swimming pool around 7 feet deep in the deepest section (depending on rain levels) and the waterfall is around 20 feet deep itself which promotes jumping off the rocks above into the pool. As a kid we would hike this trail barefooted with just towels and our swimsuits and spend the whole day at the waterfall. WARNING : I do not recommend to anyone jumping from the rocks above. My buds and I always take proper precautions to make sure no debris or sharp rocks are within our jump radius . A mistake here will likely cost your life .

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

only do the Van Campens Glen trail which is about 3 miles at most and action packed with waterfalls

Monday, March 07, 2011

Not to be picky but, though the trail is near Bushkill, PA, it is in NJ. It makes for a nice ramble, including old-growth forest, river views and at history at both Millbrook Village and Van Campen's.

Monday, March 07, 2011

This is a nice trail, with a lot to offer, from scenery and views of the river and old cornfields, to the historic Old Mine Road, the Van Campen Inn, the remains of Colonial-era Fort John's, and a woodland graveyard. Try to visit on Van Campen Day or other day when the Van Campen Inn is open to visitors (Check the Walpack Historical Society). This is in a national park, so no take no souvenirs. It is also in sportsmam territory, so be aware of hunting seasons - even though the hunters generally aren't supposed to be in the park.

Monday, June 26, 2017