Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Merrill Creek Reservoir Perimeter Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(279)
Wildlife Preserve

Merrill Creek Reservoir Perimeter Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stewartsville, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 626 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. This is a fantastic hike for someone looking for an easy well-defined loop trail. Plenty of access to water throughout. Trail is a bit overgrown. No bikes allowed.

The Reservoir is still closed as of 5/7/20 as it is privately managed and is operating under more strict rules than the public parks. Check for updates at www.merrillcreek.com.

Merrill Creek is a sanctuary for those who appreciate the wonders of rural New Jersey. At this time, the reservoir is closed due to the NJ State Governor’s executive order to close all state parks which was initiated on April 7 at 8 a.m. This has been a great disappointment to those of us in the Harmony, Belvidere, and Washington communities. Residents from neighboring counties are also missing out on one of Warren County’s most visited multi-purpose outdoor recreational spots. While there are still trails elsewhere that remain accessible throughout the lockdown, they may soon be closed due to a lack in their capacity to accommodate social distancing measures. Again, I can’t begin to express my personal disappointment with the closure of State Parks, but I do encourage those of you who love the outdoors to express your own opinion. Whether it be through social media or through telling someone you love. How has the closure of our beloved parks affected your weekly or monthly way of life? And furthermore, how has it affected your experience in dealing with the immeasurable stress of the lockdown?

Merrill Creek was one magnificent walk! It is just so beautiful. I go there a ton of times per year and it gets better each time! I would one hundred percent recommend!

My son and I have walked this trail numerous times!! We thoroughly enjoy it each and everytime we go!!! Highly recommended!!!!

be aware that merrel creek is closed until further notice. please check the website for updates

Great outing for Gym day with the kids!!

3/7/2020 R We have done this hike many times but never on a day as windy and cold as this one. The water actually had whitecaps. It’s a nice hike through the woods and over like 3 dams.

Really nice easy to Moderate trail. We hiked this on March 1, the temperature was between 27 and 31° and the ground was fairly frozen. If it was any warmer there are spots that the trail would have been slippery. We followed the black trail markers in a clockwise manner, we started at the visitor center but you could also start at the boat ramp. Some of the trail is crushed gravel and some of the trail Meanders through Woods and narrow’s at some points and comes within a foot of the waterfront. Beautiful views and diverse fauna. Wish we would’ve remembered our binoculars.

Trails are very different... blue is rocky and close to the water... red is popular with people who walk their dogs... orange is right by a beautiful creek but very messy to get to... yellow and blue will take you to most of the other trails... black is pretty flat but beautiful views. Love this place

Great overlook!

Well-marked trail, great visitors center with friendly staff.

Nice trail, not difficult but a bit wet in places. I've done this loop and smaller side trails a few times. I've also kayaker on the large reservoir. There are bald eagles nesting here as well as many other impressive birds. The description states "near Stewartsville" but it is entirely within Harmony Township.

New favorite place to walk the dogs. Clean well maintained hard-packed gravel along the south side and across the largest dam. Saw an bald eagle along the way as a great bonus!!

The black trail is a great ruuning trail. challenging in spots, because you really have to watch your footing. It can get rocky in spots. But the scenery is beautiful. During my runs so far I've seen snow geese, deer and foxes. This is my favorite place to run.

Perfect mix of scenery.

Nice easy trail

Nice stroll. Probably great for a trail run.

Was hoping to get some pictures before the fog lifted. I got a ton of great ones anyway. Got a lot of great pics. Saw a lot of deer.

Me and Dylan went to an unmarked trail off the black trail right after the dam. Took every right turn available. went down into a valley. Continued to follow it out of the valley thinking it might circle back around to the reservoir. There was almost a view at the top but the trees were too thick even in winter. The trail started to disappear so we Went back the way we came. A beautiful hike.

My son Dylan and I and our dog Harley started off on the black trail on top of the dam. Then we took an offshoot down in unmarked Trail into the woods. Some great views through the trees and along the trail.

icy

this is a nice challenging out and back doing the damn both ways great little calf burner.