Merrill Creek Reservoir Perimeter Trail

Merrill Creek Reservoir Perimeter Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stewartsville, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a fantastic hike for someone looking for an easy well-defined loop trail. Plenty of access to water throughout. Trail is a bit overgrown. No bikes allowed.

Easy walk - Great views

Easy walk in the woods. Great Lake views. Pretty flat.

Gorgeous views of the lake and forest. And saw a newborn deer! Nice moderate hike.

my home trail, has a little bit of everything, side trails and backwoods trails are usually peopleless;)

This was a great morning hike! Started off around 8:30-9am and didn't see anyone but some people fishing on their boats. At the end of my hike there was a bigger crowd (11:30-12). It was my first time at Merrill Creek and I'll definitely be back. Mostly flat hike, but occasional inclines. Trails ran along the creek and around the reservoir. One section about 3/4 of the way through allowed for a good lookout point. It was high above the trees and you could see some mountains off in the distance. Overall, good hike and a lot more trails to explore there than I originally anticipated! Good for hiking, kayaking, and fishing.

This is my annual "first hike of the season" trail. Not at all hard, super easy and just gets you ready for the hiking season ahead!

Very easy, the kids loved.

beautiful and simple trail. nice loop for running.

Multiple parking spots - Trail is well maintained - Beautiful views - Reasonable distance (5.3 mile loop and also 6.5 mile loop available) - quiet and low traffic most of the time

I like to use this trail for running. it's definitely not moderate it's easy (mostly flat wide and open, very few rocky areas). The trail is very easy to follow except for the end to the right of the visitors center if you are facing the reservoir. there are several different colored trails that wind in/around that area. Black is the perimeter trail so that's what you should be following for this hike.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Absolutely beautiful trail!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

There was a lot of bugs it was overgrown and there were tree's blocking some paths the paths are super small too!

Monday, June 26, 2017

This is a great trail except most of the plants are overgrown I got caught in a bush. Certain paths have Trees in the way! Other than that it was a great experience. Good views to! Also watch out for ticks!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a fantastic hike for someone looking for a pretty easy well-defined loop trail. Plenty of access to water throughout too, which was great for our dogs. Takes about 2 hours to get the whole way around.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Nice hike. Looks even better for hunting & fishing.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

love MC, always a great day hike.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Love this trail, love Merrill Creek. Easy walk, great scenery.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Great views all around. Not a difficult path so I run most of it. Great for pets and kids. You can fish, bring kayaks. There's benches and spots for picnics. No bikes unfortunately.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Peaceful. Easy hike. The 2 miles around I did was flat for the most part. Great for walking, speed walking and jogging and walking a dog or something. I got to walk some of the trails past the 2 mile mark and it seemed a little more rugged. If I decide to hike the entire perimeter, I will definitely be wearing hiking boots. Sneakers did fine today.

Monday, September 12, 2016

5.3 to 6 mile hike with enough elevation to make you feel like you did something. Great hike for a family and our dog loved the occasional ability to drink from the reservoir. Kids 8 and up will enjoy.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Beautiful area! Great hike!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Beautiful views

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

My family and I did the whole loop a year ago. Very nice view.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Very nice place. Great for kids and dogs, several different trails let you pick the difficulty. You'll see wildlife at nearly every season and the views are lovely.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Good

Friday, June 03, 2016

Was here few months ago... well marked and plenty of other hikers along the trail. watched the snow geese dance above the water. great place for the kids to get out

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

First time coming here and enjoyed it. Trails were clearly marked but the maps around were unreadable. Luckily I had saved an image on my phone so I could find my way back to the parking lot when I wanted to go. My dog had fun taking a dip in the water and met some other hikers and dogs along the way. Will definitely be back to try some different trails.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Love taking my dog here, beautiful hiking trails

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Favorite place to hike. It's a nice trail to just wander around in for awhile but the trails are pretty clearly marked so you can always find your way back fairly easily.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Trail is not clearly marked in spots, we ended up a mile and a quarter off track at one point with no clear indicators on how to get back to the perimeter trail.
Good mix of terrain, good views, big trees blocking the path at points. Would go again, though, and bring a fishing pole next time.