Lusscroft Farm Loop

Lusscroft Farm Loop is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sussex, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Lusscroft farm has a long history in NJ farming. It was the first place where artificial Insemination occurred in cows. The farm was also set up as an experimental farm. The Lusscroft farm lies in the kittatinny Mountains. The views from the farm are awesome with the High Lands in the distance and the Kittatinny valley below. It is also the headwaters of the Papakating Creek. The steep escarpment along Neilson Rd is made up of Volcanic rock. The actually volcano is the hill just before the farm. It is called Rutan Hill. For more info go to the site listed. The hike itself takes you through Stokes SF and High Point SP. You will pass a plane wreck, Pete Bog and see some old mines. This hike is not recommended for the beginner. You need to be able to use map and compass and have a good sense of direction since this hike takes you on unmarked trail and woods roads.

I started out on the Explorer trail (blue) and went past the Outlook Lodge to Old Swenson Farm trail (yellow). I could not find the remainder of the loop as shown despite following the unmarked trail all the way to Wyker Farmhouse. There was heavy brush, barbed wire fencing, and no trespassing signage. Also my Lusscroft Farm Trails map does not show any routes in that direction.

Since there was freezing rain and I was hiking in fresh snow I decided to cut my losses and head home. I backtracked and took the Americorps Mtn trail (blue) to the Shortcut trail (orange) and back to the yellow trail. I took the Tenderfoot trail (pink) to the Spring House and back to the trailhead on Neilson Rd.

I will return to explore this area more. There are cool old buildings, lots of animal tracks, and a few hunter tree stands. Since I came here in February I did not encounter any ticks, but I will be sure to wear repellent clothing if I am back in warmer months.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Tic infested ! Other than that not bad but be prepared to wanna take your clothes off at the end and burn them.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

The hike was nice good up hills but the ticks ruin it. Once you notice them they are everywhere and too many of them on you to count. I have never seen ticks like this I don't think I would go back. So glad we didn't bring the dogs.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Tick infested. My boyfriend and I went and literally had 30 ticks on our clothing and shoes. Lodge is pretty cool. Plane crash is nothing as stated in other review.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013