Learn more

Long Path and Shore Loop is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.5 mi Elevation gain 770 ft Route type Loop

Photos (795)
Recordings (693)
Completed (1562)
Zachary Chung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

Had a great time. Shore was scenic and made for great views and pics. Decent hike back up after that, lots of stairs, good for the buns and thighs. Highly recommend hiking boots or a sneaker with decent cushion. Saw a little black snake on the way back once we reached the top, just look where you step and they don’t bother you. LOTS of people. Also, bathrooms are locked down, just keep that in mind.

Nick Peligroso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020

Nice views. Challenging elevation gain

maria G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020

Challenging and just want I need it Very good

View maria's Recording
Laura Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

First part of trail was ACES! By the water, stunning. The way back was close to the road and was a little noisy for me. I felt like all I heard were cars. Saw a mama deer and her baby which was adorbs.

View Laura's Recording
Jill Ann Toloza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike! Mostly shaded trail making it a nice hike during the summer (and with all the rocks perhaps a good option after a bit of rain). Directions took us to the state line lookout which is a bit further north so we decided to park at the Alpine Marina instead ($5) but they had mentioned you could park at HQ for free if there are any spots available. Separately the trails are easy but connecting the four makes it moderate.

Michael Granath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020

A little longer than 5.5 miles

Joseph Sadden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Great half day hike close to the city!!

View Joseph's Recording
Lena Baydar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

All I say is wow. It was a very very long trail for us. We made a mistake we parked our car to New Jersey Headquarters Palisades interstate park commission building made that trail longer we took the white trail Englewood cliffs picnic area very rocky thank God we had hiking shoes . Don’t try with sneakers. We past nice little bridge,picnic tables and then the Waterfall we had a lunch and kept walking through old building I believe it used to be a castle and turned back. Beautiful butterflies,lots of squirrels,deer all over the place ,lots of dead fish .Not a complain it is part of the nature. My intention was hike at Giant Stairs took the wrong entrance but I discovered another nice place to hike by the river . Love it and enjoyed.

Chrismel Alonso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Definitely a long walk , but the stairs were a great but killing touch . Definitely made the trail a lot more intense. Also , lots of walking on pebbles and small rocks so I recommend hiking shoes. The trail was a little more than 5.5 miles , our record told us 6 miles.

View Chrismel's Recording
Jordan Acker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
View Jordan's Recording
Angelica botero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
View Angelica's Recording
Christopher Skarinka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
View Christopher's Recording
Travis Beck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
View Travis's Recording
Jenett Cheng
HikingOff trailRocky
View Jenett's Recording
Linda Daly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020

Lots of rocks and it’s about 7 miles

View Linda 's Recording
Sameer Shah
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingRocky

I would call this more than moderate. Its a beautiful trail

S S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

Great trail with a few rocky, pebbly patches. Some workout while ascending back from Marina to Palisades Park HQ area where we parked. The long part is generally easy side of moderate with some Rocky trails. A few photo stops. Liked the one where they have built a small beam bridge over a deep gorge. Also, photo patch near the small waterfall. Restroom near Marina/ Shore was open despite COVID closures. We walked for 3 hours plus, exploring a bit on the way.

Seshadri Vijayaraghavan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Great trail with nice views. Total trail is 6.9 Miles. We spotted a few rat snakes. Nice small creeks along the route.

View Seshadri's Recording
Mel Salvatin
HikingRockyScramble
View Mel's Recording
Lynn Rossi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
HikingRocky

Nice trail with a beautiful view. Saw 4 snakes, two garters and two copperheads (I know the difference from a corn or milk snake) I didn’t bother them and they didn’t give a crap about me. The stairs that lead to the view are definitely the most difficult part of the trail, but I’m happy that I went up them than down them being that I was with my dog. He probably would have dragged my ass down them haha. Being that there are copperheads there please leash your dog to avoid something tragic :) :) :)

anthony tineo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020

was okay smelled like fish by the water wouldn't recommend. does get hard climbing those rocks tho

Stefania Camacho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grownRockyScramble
View Stefania's Recording
Guru Kumar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingRocky

I can say Its a difficult one and challenging. But I really loved it. Will come back again

View Guru's Recording
Isabel Leung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingRocky

More like 6 miles. Very good shading. Aside from some rocky pebbly paths, the trail was more on the easier side of moderate. Nice shore line, I just wished it wasn’t so close to the palisades parkway as the many cars cars were whizzing by.

View Isabel's Recording