Karamac-Dunnfield Creek Loop Trail

Karamac-Dunnfield Creek Loop Trail is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Trail has a bit of everything. I too made a slight change by taking Holly Springs to link up with Dunnfield Creek sooner and enjoyed a slow descent to the RedDot trail. Day was 85F so waterfall was a nice refresher. Started Friday so no crowds climbing MtTammany but that’s a lot of gain with a full pack (be prepared to work). Fire road was an easy walk to the Turquoise trail and took me right to Sunfish Pond for my camp, total solitude. Next day was an easy 4mile descent on the AT back to parking lot. Loved it.

Great trail for night hiking. Easy to keep track of your path. Very close to highway I-80 so you don’t have to worry about getting lost.

At the outer edge the route was more difficult to find, overall it was a nice hike

i did a slight variation of this m basically just takiing the A/t back to the trailhead from sunfish pond, i spent the night at the backpacking spot on the AT near sunfish. I did 10 miles the first day then hiked out 3 miles on day 2, testing my ultralight backpacking setup. Anyhow, i did enjoy the trail. That said, the portion of the red dot trail where you climb Mount Tamminy from the parking lot was really busy and annoying. Maybe because i did this on a weekend. Picture a crowd decending up the mountain, not much trail educate (people playing loud music and not allowing those coming up the mountain to pass). I seriously have seen less crowds in NYC. Luckily all of those people took the blue dot trail where as i continued of the log road towards sunfish. Also keep in mind there are fairly long stretched with no water, such as the logging road. This is actually why i ended up doing 10 mies the first day instead of 6-10. probably poor planning on my part, whatever. Overall i enjoyed the trail and would have given it a 4 or a 5 had I not had the crowded experience climbing tammany. Again, better planning might help avoid this.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Hiked the Dunnfield Creek this past Sunday. A chilly day but beautiful. Very nice trail that follows the creek. There are some really nice cascades and small waterfalls.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Holy lord what a hike!! A whole lot of everything from creeks, rocks, meadows, amazing views and a beautiful lake.
I will say for anyone who starts from the parking lot right off of the highway and goes up the creek first. On the other side of the pond, look out for the BLUE trail marker. We cleared walked right passed it and took 30minutes to find it!!! Lol but other then that, first trail with this app and it was spot on!! 5 stars!!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Parked at the Dunnefield Creek trailhead off 80 and took Dunnefield to Sunfish pond and the AT back, definitely recommend a swim in the deep part of the creek by the entrance under the waterfall. Great way to spend a day!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

I loved the sunfish pond loop. we hiked the dunnfield up and the Appalachian down.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

I did a variation of this loop with my son. We both loved it. It was a little tough for him since he's only 5, but I was able to put him in my carrier backpack to give him a rest from time to time.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Great hike. And I actually saw a timber rattlesnake, which is endangered in the area. Kind of scary, but also a rare site!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Love this trail, always stop for a walk through here when I am on Old Mine Road

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Very nice train the red dot was really harder.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Friday, July 29, 2011

I don't know why All Trails lists so many trails as Pa. when tey're actually in NJ. This one is also near the Delaware Water Gap, Tamminy Mountain, Sunfish Pond, etc.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

This is one of my favorite hikes Ive ever been on. The almost seamless transition from oaks to pines along the creek bed are amazing gives the impression of being in two places at once. The rolling trail bring you across a few ford points and pending some previouse weather these could prove fun and interesting to navigate. a bit of rocky terrain adds to the whole experiance. 10 out of 10 for me!!!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Ive done this trail twice in different ways first time I did Tammany and came up the Dunnfield trail to the pond went around it then came back down on the AT. It was challenging in the length and can get really rocky, its marked very well except for the connecting trail between the fire road and the AT by Sunfish. The second time I basically did that in reverse minus Tammany. If your up for a long day definately do the first one. This is one of my favorite hikes.

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Dunnfield Creek is crowdy but ead towads Holly Springs and you lose the crowds - you can come down the AT or go over the Farview trail. Nice area