High Rock Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Liberty Township, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 770 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: As of April 2020, the AllTrails route has been amended.

Very nice view once you reach the top. Wasn’t too bad of a hike up, brought my dog and he did just fine as well. I did fall on my ass on the way down though haha. Anyway, would recommend.

great hike! note the beginning point is right off the main road and starts straight up. they're signs that have been reposted by NJ showing not private except for one so we got confused but its there right trail - white markings. becomes private land right after reaching the summit. beautiful views at the top after an uphill climb- suggest taking the blue down and right now not many cars so we just walked on the road to create a loop back to the car on circle lane. dont miss the lake view along the road! very peaceful. I bet this is beautiful during fall too. we will be back!

This trail is extremely tough getting up. massive incline!, but the view is worth it!!!! Short hike, tough climb, beautiful view!!!

private property

Nice uphill trail to the lookout that’s not too long. A good workout. The trailhead is a little hard to find but the app helps put you close enough once you figure it out. Also not sure where to park, so I just ended up in some grass off the road. Doesn’t even like it would be an issue though as not much traffic etc back there. Overall nice time with my dog!

private property

Short but sweet with a lovely view of the lake! Great sights compared to trails within the area. It's a nice workout going upward. Walking back down can be a little dangerous where there's a lack of footing. I followed the white-marked trail to the top & around .5 miles in, you're at the lookout. The hike did not align with the All Trails map according to my GPS. The other trails seemed to be going into the private property. I checked out the blue-marked trail but ended up turning around because I wasn't sure if it was part of the preserve or not. Next time, I would search online to see where the lines of the private property are versus the preserve to ensure I am fully respecting the collection No Trespassing signs. Went in the late afternoon & only saw one group of hikers. Toward the beginning, there were many loud ATV noises in nearby woods that fade away once you're a quarter of the way in. Parked on Circle Lane.

Trail is a little hard to find, but trail head is near the main road and not at the back of the parking area, which it seems to be seeing it for the first time. path is pretty steep but well marked and cleared. the outlook at the top is so worth it though!!

I cleared the trail from the bottom, near the firehouse, to the top. Very easy to find and walk now!

Sun Mar 24 2019

Sun Mar 24 2019

I grew up near High Rock and haven't been in many years. We went yesterday and it did not disappoint. Short hike with a great view. BEWARE!! We went to start our hike at a spot I knew from my youth from the South. We were confronted by a homeowner as to whether we had permission to be hiking there. We said no and the kind gentleman informed us that the man who owns a good portion of the mountain to the east and south of High Rock will prosecute for trespassing. He informed us that the man patrols the land frequently, which we witnessed as he arrived on an ATV to replace a flag on a pole her has erected on the south rock out High Rock, his property. The land on Free Union Rd is all posted as Private Property, and the signs are all along the trail at the top of the mountain. I recommend ONLY starting the hike at the base of the mountain where the dot is on the map here on this page and do NOT continue past the first (North) Rock on the trail.

Sat Feb 16 2019

Short trail but steep and parking is a little weird. Never had any trouble though. The view is great at the top! Not sure how to do the whole trail though because it seems to just stop after the summit.

Mon Jun 18 2018

I grew up around the lake and this view is immaculate.

Tue May 29 2018

Not a very well kept trail. Very difficult to follow as the orange markers are mostly down. It was still a good last minute hike. Very difficult start with a straight uphill climb that leads to an excellent view. It appears the trail should continue from that first view, but it's very difficult to figure out where to go once you reach that point.

Mon Mar 05 2018

Trail was a little hard to find but the view was amazing!

Sat Jan 27 2018

Short but steep hike with an amazing view at 0.5. ❤

Tue Oct 03 2017

I hadn't been up there in over 30 years! Steep, short hike. Beautiful view. My GPS had it at 1.6 miles out and back. Followed narrow trail, marked buy orange ribbons. I'm wondering if there's other ways to access high rock that are longer.

Mon Aug 14 2017

Views are fantastic for the effort put in. As of 8/13/17, there are orange ribbons tied around trees that serve as trailblazes. You can follow the ribbons all the way to the viewpoint. Parking is kind of a gamble, though. The lot near the trailhead looks abandoned but has private property signs.

Tue Jul 04 2017

Steep uphill through mature forest with spectacular vista of Mountain Lake, Kitatinny Ridge and surrounding landscape.

Mon May 22 2017

Quiet trail, not very well-marked. Go for a sunset. View is amazing.

Sun May 07 2017

Great view but portly marked and multiple trails make it difficult to find which trip takes you to the look-out. Worth it though. Beautiful trail. Very peaceful.

Mon Feb 20 2017

This is a great local trail for anyone in the area. The trail has a great view of Mountain Lake. It is a great trail to bring a friend and hand out on the top, it is lightly traveled (one or two hikers every few days).