Four Birds Trail

Four Birds Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jefferson Township, New Jersey that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Four Birds - Northern Section

I live at the base of the cliffs and walk in this area frequently. I would recommend Bear spray as we have had some stubborn bears here the past few years. This past fall my husband and son were hiking near this trail and were charged 2 times by a black bear. My husband yelled at the bear and pulled his gun and was ready (he is a cop and hunter) but thankfully the bear decided not to follow through with the threat. In all my years living here and hiking in the woods near this trail I have never encountered an issue like that but I have bear spray now and will always have it on me after this.

Great trail and honestly people don’t rank a trail because you randomly ran into a bear. I have run into bears in my neighborhood, what if Zillow dropped my property value? Silly ranking.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

you can't give the trail a bad rating because someone encountered a bear. your hiking in the middle of the woods, you should almost expect it.

Friday, February 10, 2017

I've run or hiked Four Birds dozens of times. Great place.

Monday, July 07, 2014

My friend just told me he was hiking this trail today with his dogs. They encountered a bear (he said by the north terminus by Rt 23 in Newfoundland) who wouldn't budge. The dogs were within eight feet of it and barking but it would not move on. My friend had to grab the dogs by their harness and drag them away going right past the bear. He said the encounter was "chilling".

Sunday, July 30, 2017