Four Birds Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oak Ridge, New Jersey that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,522 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Four Birds - Northern Section

Great trail!! Lots of rocks and great views. I would do it again

Definitely not a walk in the woods! Lots of uphill, rocks and awesome views. I had no idea this was here. Turned it into a loop by coming back along the road.

You can park a few hundred feet before the trail starts at the baseball field. Marked pretty well but there were a few marked trees down to keep you guessing. There are some rocky sections and you'll cross some small streams. we stopped at a view on the ridge were somebody had cut down some trees. Only saw two other people on this hike.

Starting off you walk along this edge which overviews this dep valley and woods as far as the eye can see. As you keep progress past 1 mile it then starts to go down and then you traverse through the woods walking on small sized rocks. Then you get get back to a trail the feels like you are walking on the ridge of a mountain with beautiful views. Towards the end there are some small streams, which are always fun. Trail is pretty well labeled with white markers throughout. I lost the trail a few times but thats probably just me. Saw hawks, couple of frog's and a couple friendly dirt bikers. Went off trail for about .3 in wrong direction by where rock road appears, I went straight across it and I should have made a left. Went slow on this one as I was with a couple of friends. One doesn't usually hike and the uphills were tough for her. We were all pretty tired by time we got back to truck. We took a couple of 15 minute breaks and a bunch of 3 minute breaks.

2 nice views Very excited to continue next leg of trail across green pond rd. I remember the next part of the trail having a lot to offer view wise, but it's been almost 20 years.

Really great views. Steep at the beginning, definitely not an easy trail but not terribly hard by any means. You do share part of the trail with quads and dirt bikes though so be careful. Saw many snakes and deer. Some boggy parts. Hiked it in running shoes with no issues but I would suggest pants that cover your ankles.

The best view is one mile in and it's not worth going to the end as there is just another road. Traffic can be heard 90% of the time. The trail is overgrown in many areas. This trail is only one section of the Four Birds trail and it continues past the road and to the lakes. Maybe that section is worth it but this one definitely isn't.

Lots of spiders, we probably cleared 20-30 webs on the 3 mile out. Has some rocky spots but also has some great views. There’s a small (rocky) stretch where it’s kind of hard to follow the trail markings.

trail needs to be clean.

Sat Feb 16 2019

Weather was great, parts of the trail were still snow covered and icy. Definitely recommend bringing along a pair of micro-spikes.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Took the southern trail off Green Pond Rd. Not really a very difficult climbat all. i would call it easier than Kanouse east of this location. At the peak, follow the trail west about 50 yards to an amazing view.

Mon May 07 2018

I live at the base of the cliffs and walk in this area frequently. I would recommend Bear spray as we have had some stubborn bears here the past few years. This past fall my husband and son were hiking near this trail and were charged 2 times by a black bear. My husband yelled at the bear and pulled his gun and was ready (he is a cop and hunter) but thankfully the bear decided not to follow through with the threat. In all my years living here and hiking in the woods near this trail I have never encountered an issue like that but I have bear spray now and will always have it on me after this.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Great trail and honestly people don’t rank a trail because you randomly ran into a bear. I have run into bears in my neighborhood, what if Zillow dropped my property value? Silly ranking.