Forest View Trail

Forest View Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very good trail, beautiful, very good scenery, Even at one of its stops you can bbq , but no bathroom.

This is a really good trail if you get it on a not so busy day. My girlfriend and I went on a Thursday with our 2 dogs. We started by the park commission office onto long path. Either direction you go there will be a steep climb. We started to the left, it was a little close to the highway for our liking but out dogs are good at staying on the path so it was fine. Plenty of good over looks of NY. If there was more people would have been a litter crowd to have the dogs off lease but if you are going with out them not a worry. Great trail over all.

So much fun with the dog!

Lovely trail. Definitely easier hiking this loop clockwise in my opinion. Easily doable with family—children and dogs alike. There might be some steeper/rocky areas otherwise a fairly easy trail.

Steep and rocky but worth it. Great views. Cool being above the birds soaring by. We came early so not many people until we were heading back. Giant steps a bit hard for our med size dog so we're def coming back without her and going all the way around.

Amazing trail

The initial mile or so is easy, kind of boring but once the view points open up it becomes a different world. I enjoyed the eagles over the cliffs. The descend on the stairs is wow- beautiful. The trail along the Hudson River took me away as to only think a few miles down is the great Metropolis. Go alone the shoreline as you will certainly enjoy. I did the trail with my dog. I will definitely be back.

I went on a very hot day on July and but enjoyed the sun and occasional breeze we got along the hike. Lots of fun scrambles to get through and great scenic views. I'd go again.

Fun scrambles and really nice views! I went with my medium sized dog and we had to turn around early cause the scrambles were too tough for him.

I didn't do the entire loop as the website approximates it takes 5 hours.

However, the out - to the farthest lookout point - and back was still 4 star worthy. Plenty of vistas to take in as the trail skirts along the cliffs. Took approximately 1 1/4 for the out and back. Would do it again.

It was so nice to walk on the shore trail; hearing the gentle waves of the Hudson against the rocks was a pleasant contrast to the early part of the hike on the Long Trail where we heard the sound of the cars on the Palisades. There is one rocky descent and one large hill,otherwise the walk was easy.

Great trail super close to the city - done it a handful of times.

I typically start going south, walk north along the water and come back along the Long Path. The climb to the top is a good workout! Explore the side paths to cliffs while on the Long Path.

The trail can be done in the winter, but it doesn't get much sun, so snow sticks around for a long time. The climb in the snow is a little shaky.

Two minor negatives - its well trafficked so there's quite a bit of graffiti on the cliffs (annoying) and the Long Path is very close to the highway so there's plenty of road noise.

Great hike, and not too crowded given the location. You may be tempted to go past the end of the loop on this map and cross over the NY/NJ border- it's a good hike but a lot more challenging. Still doable in tennis shoes but be prepared for some bouldering!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

This is my 3rd time on this trail and it still gives me the workout I need. You get almost everything on this trail. So get a lot of water!! Oh and bring snacks if you want to feed the deers haha.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

half of it is walking next to the highway...

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great views , beach at the bottom of the trail. Doggy loved it

Saturday, August 27, 2016

It's a nice hike to Hudson River, but that's it. The hike is moderate. It was a hot day so may be if weather was nicer, would have liked more. There are picnic spots and barbecue places by the River.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Always a great workout the dogs love it

Saturday, July 23, 2016

NIce hike and not too difficult, we made it on the reverse, and it is good to start without the noise of the nearby highway. Shady and quiet, nice views on the Hudson, very convenient with the bus from NY George Washington Station (20 min ride) or from 42nd St. You can also find secluded places by the river to relax and enjoy. Near the small castle, you can have your sandwich. It was last week, in a very hot day, but I'd do that again!

Monday, June 13, 2016

great

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Amazing

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Amazing hike but the difficult is more than moderate. There is a long stretch on the rocks which is not for everyone.

Monday, January 18, 2016

A couple nice views. Way too many people, not really a "hike", more like a walk with occasionally tough terrain. If you're looking to be one with nature, this is not the place.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Great hike but watch your footing on the rocks. Lots of steep drop offs. Very cool ruins at the end.

Monday, November 02, 2015

first time hiking and was lured to this trail. the difficulty was overall beyond my expectations but a good hike

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Beautiful views of the Hudson and loved the scrambles but beware, your hike will take longer due to the scrambles and constant descending and ascending. Also, wear boots as the terrain is often rocky, and bring a snack and water. Wonderful way to spend the day among beautifully colored foliage in the Fall.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

This place is awesome. First time coming here. I ended up everywhere. As a novice person. It is quiet difficult but worth it. The site seeing is perfect. Friendly faces everywhere willing to help. Plus, I saw an eagle with a fish clench in its talons. (Rare site to see for me)

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Great place -- had a wonderful time a few weekends ago. This is a fabulous place to bring visitors -- especially those from the West or wilder places -- who just do not believe these places exit in NJ. And to have Manhattan just downstream -- amazing! And view of the Tappan Zee...! The Giant's boulders were more of a challenge for some in my party than I'd expected, so we took more than 5 hours to do the loop -- but we also took in the Women's Federation 'castle' monuments on the way, and enjoyed a long lunch break. I think the boulder hopping is really fun -- but some with us this year kept asking how much longer they went on. My problem, I realized, is that I am always disappointed when the boulders STOP -- others wanted them to end. Different strokes....
I do it 'counter clockwise' every year -- my phone logged it as over 5 miles. Have fun, but avoid this hike if it is raining or the rocks are still wet -- it would be slippery.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Surprisingly vast forest considering how close it is to the city and major highway. I hiked this on a very foggy morning just after a day of rain, giving it a very quiet jungle feel. The flat parts on the route are a nice walk in nature, punctuated by views over the cliffside (again - it was foggy when I was there, so couldn't see across the hudson, which was actually quite serene). The giant steps and other inclines were a solid workout - not impossible, but decent for someone in moderate shape. From time to time we'd pass other hikers (including a 100 person group!). Going from the top, with lush overhanging foliage down to the bottom - lakeside, tall grasses - was an invigorating change of topography. There are also a lot of fun little gems along the route - a little metal bridge and other wooden bridges, the women's monument (a mini stone castle), etc. Not too hard to stay on trail, but I think we ended up doing a longer 6 mile loop. Note that on rainy days, the steps seem a little treacherous, so be careful.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Fun scramble - doable for kids but keep them close and away from the edges.