Forest View Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great hike during the fall during the leave change, second time I did this trail. first time was in the snow just as pretty but a bit more challenging

We hiked this trail on Sat October 20th and it was a nice leisurely hike that started at the police station and we did the 6.2 mile loop. This trail starts out in the woods near the highway but after a mile or so your deep enough where you do see or hear an traffic. There are some amazing views/lookout points on the top side with the first one having a small waterfall. We happen to see a hawk and also a deer this day which is always an added bonus. There was a little castle you run into (women’s heritage trial) that was super cool. You then make your way down and walk along the shoreline for several miles and it was a nice day so we decided to relax and bring our lunch. Anyway this trail was super easy and not difficult at any point.

I cannot stress enough how much I loved this hike, it was spectacular! I would recommend going around the map counter clockwise, climbing to the Women’s Federation Monument on top of the cliffs, and then going back down the way you came along the Shore Trail (white). The Long Path trail is right next to the parkway and you can’t really see the river through the trees anyway. But the Shore Trail was amazing, and the view at the top of the cliffs was incredible. I will definitely be coming back, and recommending this hike to everyone I know!

To find trail head- park across the street from the State Police station. Often Info on where the exact trail is, is not provided. When you are looking at the building the trail head is on the far left of employee parking lot - you will see a sign. As mentioned in another comment below, unless you are looking for strenuous uphill cardio take the trail clockwise by taking this entrance. Use All Trails carefully there are a few tricky turns but very well worth it. Hike starts out flat, and yes parkway noise but you soon head away and down. Beautiful trail w a few waterfalls and pretty well maintained.

Combined this trail with the Huyler's Landing and Closter Dock Trail loop which came to all together nearly 9.5 miles. Other reviews are true in so at the beginning yes you do hear the car noise at first/near ending the loop, but do not let that stop you. If combining both trails I do recommend starting with Forest trail, there are some steep steps which are pretty sketchy especially if it is damp out which you will have to go down. Though it is rated as easy I would say it was a little more than just that. The midpoint where both trails meet is a large picnic area on the water which probably does get busy as it is a very nice area, where most likely ppl go to take pictures and all. To me however it is nice to see so many ppl taking advantage of the area. The hike along the shore is just as awesome as hiking above for the views. Very worth it.

Very good trail, beautiful, very good scenery, Even at one of its stops you can bbq , but no bathroom.

This is a really good trail if you get it on a not so busy day. My girlfriend and I went on a Thursday with our 2 dogs. We started by the park commission office onto long path. Either direction you go there will be a steep climb. We started to the left, it was a little close to the highway for our liking but out dogs are good at staying on the path so it was fine. Plenty of good over looks of NY. If there was more people would have been a litter crowd to have the dogs off lease but if you are going with out them not a worry. Great trail over all.

So much fun with the dog!

Lovely trail. Definitely easier hiking this loop clockwise in my opinion. Easily doable with family—children and dogs alike. There might be some steeper/rocky areas otherwise a fairly easy trail.

Steep and rocky but worth it. Great views. Cool being above the birds soaring by. We came early so not many people until we were heading back. Giant steps a bit hard for our med size dog so we're def coming back without her and going all the way around.

Amazing trail

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

The initial mile or so is easy, kind of boring but once the view points open up it becomes a different world. I enjoyed the eagles over the cliffs. The descend on the stairs is wow- beautiful. The trail along the Hudson River took me away as to only think a few miles down is the great Metropolis. Go alone the shoreline as you will certainly enjoy. I did the trail with my dog. I will definitely be back.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

I went on a very hot day on July and but enjoyed the sun and occasional breeze we got along the hike. Lots of fun scrambles to get through and great scenic views. I'd go again.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Fun scrambles and really nice views! I went with my medium sized dog and we had to turn around early cause the scrambles were too tough for him.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

I didn't do the entire loop as the website approximates it takes 5 hours.

However, the out - to the farthest lookout point - and back was still 4 star worthy. Plenty of vistas to take in as the trail skirts along the cliffs. Took approximately 1 1/4 for the out and back. Would do it again.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

It was so nice to walk on the shore trail; hearing the gentle waves of the Hudson against the rocks was a pleasant contrast to the early part of the hike on the Long Trail where we heard the sound of the cars on the Palisades. There is one rocky descent and one large hill,otherwise the walk was easy.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Great trail super close to the city - done it a handful of times.

I typically start going south, walk north along the water and come back along the Long Path. The climb to the top is a good workout! Explore the side paths to cliffs while on the Long Path.

The trail can be done in the winter, but it doesn't get much sun, so snow sticks around for a long time. The climb in the snow is a little shaky.

Two minor negatives - its well trafficked so there's quite a bit of graffiti on the cliffs (annoying) and the Long Path is very close to the highway so there's plenty of road noise.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great hike, and not too crowded given the location. You may be tempted to go past the end of the loop on this map and cross over the NY/NJ border- it's a good hike but a lot more challenging. Still doable in tennis shoes but be prepared for some bouldering!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

This is my 3rd time on this trail and it still gives me the workout I need. You get almost everything on this trail. So get a lot of water!! Oh and bring snacks if you want to feed the deers haha.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

half of it is walking next to the highway...

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great views , beach at the bottom of the trail. Doggy loved it

Saturday, August 27, 2016

It's a nice hike to Hudson River, but that's it. The hike is moderate. It was a hot day so may be if weather was nicer, would have liked more. There are picnic spots and barbecue places by the River.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Always a great workout the dogs love it

Saturday, July 23, 2016

NIce hike and not too difficult, we made it on the reverse, and it is good to start without the noise of the nearby highway. Shady and quiet, nice views on the Hudson, very convenient with the bus from NY George Washington Station (20 min ride) or from 42nd St. You can also find secluded places by the river to relax and enjoy. Near the small castle, you can have your sandwich. It was last week, in a very hot day, but I'd do that again!

Monday, June 13, 2016

great

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Amazing

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Amazing hike but the difficult is more than moderate. There is a long stretch on the rocks which is not for everyone.

Monday, January 18, 2016

A couple nice views. Way too many people, not really a "hike", more like a walk with occasionally tough terrain. If you're looking to be one with nature, this is not the place.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Great hike but watch your footing on the rocks. Lots of steep drop offs. Very cool ruins at the end.

Monday, November 02, 2015

first time hiking and was lured to this trail. the difficulty was overall beyond my expectations but a good hike