Forest View Trail

Forest View Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lovely trail. Definitely easier hiking this loop clockwise in my opinion. Easily doable with family—children and dogs alike. There might be some steeper/rocky areas otherwise a fairly easy trail.

Steep and rocky but worth it. Great views. Cool being above the birds soaring by. We came early so not many people until we were heading back. Giant steps a bit hard for our med size dog so we're def coming back without her and going all the way around.

Amazing trail

The initial mile or so is easy, kind of boring but once the view points open up it becomes a different world. I enjoyed the eagles over the cliffs. The descend on the stairs is wow- beautiful. The trail along the Hudson River took me away as to only think a few miles down is the great Metropolis. Go alone the shoreline as you will certainly enjoy. I did the trail with my dog. I will definitely be back.

I went on a very hot day on July and but enjoyed the sun and occasional breeze we got along the hike. Lots of fun scrambles to get through and great scenic views. I'd go again.

Fun scrambles and really nice views! I went with my medium sized dog and we had to turn around early cause the scrambles were too tough for him.

I didn't do the entire loop as the website approximates it takes 5 hours.

However, the out - to the farthest lookout point - and back was still 4 star worthy. Plenty of vistas to take in as the trail skirts along the cliffs. Took approximately 1 1/4 for the out and back. Would do it again.

It was so nice to walk on the shore trail; hearing the gentle waves of the Hudson against the rocks was a pleasant contrast to the early part of the hike on the Long Trail where we heard the sound of the cars on the Palisades. There is one rocky descent and one large hill,otherwise the walk was easy.

Great trail super close to the city - done it a handful of times.

I typically start going south, walk north along the water and come back along the Long Path. The climb to the top is a good workout! Explore the side paths to cliffs while on the Long Path.

The trail can be done in the winter, but it doesn't get much sun, so snow sticks around for a long time. The climb in the snow is a little shaky.

Two minor negatives - its well trafficked so there's quite a bit of graffiti on the cliffs (annoying) and the Long Path is very close to the highway so there's plenty of road noise.

Great hike, and not too crowded given the location. You may be tempted to go past the end of the loop on this map and cross over the NY/NJ border- it's a good hike but a lot more challenging. Still doable in tennis shoes but be prepared for some bouldering!

This is my 3rd time on this trail and it still gives me the workout I need. You get almost everything on this trail. So get a lot of water!! Oh and bring snacks if you want to feed the deers haha.

half of it is walking next to the highway...

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great views , beach at the bottom of the trail. Doggy loved it

Saturday, August 27, 2016

It's a nice hike to Hudson River, but that's it. The hike is moderate. It was a hot day so may be if weather was nicer, would have liked more. There are picnic spots and barbecue places by the River.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Always a great workout the dogs love it

Saturday, July 23, 2016

NIce hike and not too difficult, we made it on the reverse, and it is good to start without the noise of the nearby highway. Shady and quiet, nice views on the Hudson, very convenient with the bus from NY George Washington Station (20 min ride) or from 42nd St. You can also find secluded places by the river to relax and enjoy. Near the small castle, you can have your sandwich. It was last week, in a very hot day, but I'd do that again!

Monday, June 13, 2016

great

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Amazing

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Amazing hike but the difficult is more than moderate. There is a long stretch on the rocks which is not for everyone.

Monday, January 18, 2016

A couple nice views. Way too many people, not really a "hike", more like a walk with occasionally tough terrain. If you're looking to be one with nature, this is not the place.