Duke Farms Trail

Duke Farms Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hillsborough, New Jersey that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Duke Farms includes almost 1000 acres of land and is owned by the Duke Farms Foundation (DFF) that was established in 1998 to manage the estate. The Foundation, in turn, is part of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.

Usually run here at least once or twice a week. The grounds are beautiful, and there is even a tram available for those less inclined to walk around. Nice park tucked away in Somerset County.

locally available
beautiful
lots of surprises
some natural, many man made but all intriguing

So much to see Trails, flowers, wildlife plants, even saw wild turkies! It's good to bring your family and friends. You can walk or ride a bike rented bike (Like we did) or bring your own.

Wonderful for the family bike outing. Some hills, but mostly paved trails. Easy parking access and well maintained. Not really mountain biking, just easy trails.

This is one of my favorite places to run or bike. I bring my own road bike and stay on the paved roads, or rent a bike ($5) for use on gravel paths. A visit to cemetery hill is well worth the small effort. I love dogs, but I'm glad this is a dog-free space. There are groundhogs, rabbits and fox all around. Because of the Farm's initiatives in native plantings, the bird watching is great. Leave your earbuds in the car and let the birds sing to you.

We went there for the first time 2 weeks ago and we are NEVER going back there again. We were covered in ticks within 5 mins of our walk on gravel. It wasn't like 5-10 ticks, there were atleast 50 that we found on each person in our group. They kept coming out our shoes, shirts and hair. We drove back in our underwear.

Spring through fall weekends are literally crowded. This is not really a place to "hike". It's an easy walk, run, bike ride. It is full of sights and history. It is beautiful. Avoid crowds by going off season and early in the day. And there are more ticks here than anywhere in the NJ/PA/NY area, so be prepared for that.

Had an amazing time here. The trail is perfect for biking riding with children.

Great place to visit, kid friendly always something going on. We come often

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Well maintained grounds that are good for all skill levels. Walked on a cold day and loved exploring the estate. And while I love our four legged friends, I appreciate having a place where I know I won't see pet waste or have to watch for off-leash pets. There are many great little creatures around here, it's nice to know they're safe from being chased by Fido.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A nice park with lots of bikes and people walking. Most of the trails are wide with pavement or gravel. Plenty of lakes and pretty scenes. Not terribly shady if you were there on a hot day. Most trails were well-marked but you probably will want to have a map or an app.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Amazing park! They have a bike rental for just $5 ! Beautiful scenery

Friday, August 26, 2016

Love this place
So relaxing and quiet

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Not marked well but interesting things to see

Sunday, July 17, 2016

I love this park and the trails. The only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because they do not allow dogs and the trail are hard to follow. Other than that, paved nicely, beautiful scenery and just the right amount of hills!

Sunday, April 03, 2016

I didn't end up going because I hike/walk with my dog and NO PETS allowed here, apparently.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Easy trails with beautiful scenery. It's a great place to ride bikes in, or take a stroll.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Great day walking through Dukes Farm. Trails are flat and vary between paved, gravel, and grass/dirt. Trails pass through woodlands, meadows, and park-like settings. The Orchid House is a must see. This would be a great hike for our elderly labrador, but unfortunately no pets are allowed.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

We arrived at Dukes Farm just as the Farm Barn Orientation Center was opening at 8:30 am. The Center is a beautiful eco-friendly building with bathrooms, café, educational displays, a park informational video, and a very helpful staff to provide answers and maps. Although the Overview mentions a 2.5 mile hike, the length of your hike can be easily customized into something shorter or much longer. We chose to walk the dirt and gravel paths instead of the many paved walkways. We took trails mainly around the perimeter of the park and I would guess walked 4-5 miles in 2 hours. Some nature highlights of our walk included two geese parents and their goslings, several wood ducks and fuzzy black caterpillars.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Nice place to explore with easy paths. Can bring own bike or rent them at the Farm.