Buttermilk Falls Trail

Buttermilk Falls Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Layton, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This loop has a little of everything. Waterfalls, ravines, valley walking, steep climb, ridge walking, views and a bushwhack.

My brother-in-law and I hiked the trail and found it enjoyable and appropriately challenging. I liked the steep climb next to the water fall at the beginning of the trail as it is nice to get this out of the way. We turned left at the fork to begin the loop and made it to the first lake. However we missed the turn for the loop as the trail is not well marked and we ended up coming back a shorter way. I look forward to returning in the summer and climbing up the water fall.

Beautiful falls, trail can be steep at times with loose gravel and rocks. Watch your footing. Visit Walpack Inn for a great dinner afterwards!

Lol funny story so for my birthday my friends asked what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to go hiking with everyone and many of them had never gone hiking before (we're all around 17) and it was supposed to be about 50 degrees that day, so I saw this trail on another website and thought a simple hike with a waterfall would be nice to see. Little did I know I forgot to take into account the huge temperature difference that there is in the mountains, so I told my friends to bring maybe a light jacket and some sneakers. We were not prepared for the snow, ice, steep ascent, oh and FREEZING RAIN we encountered on the mountain, two of us had nothing but shorts and a tshirt. My one friend had a mental breakdown on the way down the mountain and someone almost fell off a cliff on a steep ascent in the beginning. We all made it through the trail before dark without dying or hurting ourselves too badly, but this was tough, even for me and I've gone winter hiking a few times in the Adirondacks. I have to say though, my friends were really brave and persevering to make it through this their first time hiking EVER, I'm amazed by their teamwork and can do attitude. They even said they would be happy to go hiking again during the summer time! As long as you don't make the same mistakes I made and do this hike with good boots , some trekking poles, and maybe some sunny weather, it should be very enjoyable. The waterfall is beautiful and the ascent is interesting to say the least, plus you get to see a bit of Crater Lake and Hemlock Pond. Also some nice but limited views of the beautiful mountain ranges stretching to the north and west. Has a bit of everything.

This is the tallest waterfall in NJ and it is right next to the road. Next to it is a great trail that takes you through a forest and leads to the Appalachian Trail. Tough in places but cool. Check out my full review along with some things to look out for.

Great workout. Steep hike to the top that goes on and on. Took the blue markings to the App Trail. Checked out the lake, then down Hemlock trail to the pond, and then back down to the blue. Lots of nice scenery, but the road to the falls is blocked in either direction. Coming in from the Water Gap side, you have to traverse a pothole ridden dirt road and park a mile away. You have to do the same, but park 4 miles away when coming in from the opposite side. You cannot just drive up to the falls right now

Hiked this in mid November and it was absolutely beautiful.

Falls are beautiful ....The hike to the AT was pretty brutal ...much harder than I expected

great hike in nature, disappointed that the falls are at the bottom next to the parking lot.

Steep stairway to top but fairly easy hike overall. The falls are directly across from the parking area.

fantastic trail, but really intense in the beginning of the track. lots of climbing [my fitbit rated it as 167 flight of stairs], lots of rocks to walk over. there is a nice lake on top.