Black River Trail Loop

Black River Trail Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chester, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Take I-80 West to Exit 27A and continue south on U.S. Route 206 for 8.0 miles. Turn right onto County Route 513 and follow it for 1.2 miles to the entrance to Cooper Mill Park, on the left side of the road.

nice hiking trail can be a bit of a challenge finding trail signs

The trail was a little hard to find at first..but another kind hiker told me to stick by the river and I would find the waterfalls..awesome views. Can't wait to return.

Love this place! Went in the spring and saw the cottage but had to come back in the snow and see it. So Beautiful! One of the best places I have hiked.

This is a great moderate hike that takes you down by the Black River. Highly recommend this hike in the peak of fall as the colors are amazing.

I didn't take the black river trail loop. Took the patriot trail to the green trail to the cottage and back. This game lace is Gorgeous! The cottage looks like a painting, it's amazing. Lots of trails and add ons in this park. They don't have maps at the trail heads so make sure you have found a map (which by the way are hard to find on line). This link below may help.

Better for hiking than trail running, but a very good trail system to de-stress oneself and commune with nature. Leave earbuds in the car and enjoy the sounds of nature.

Fun trails with cool sights.

Nice steady pace; great creeks

This was a great hike! loved the scenic views of the river and waterfalls. We took the blue trail to the orange trail to the red trail then finished with the green trail before going back to blue. The blue trail was an easy trec along the river. The orange trail was absolutely beautiful. Butterflies and bees buzzed around the wild flowers. the red trail was a bit more difficult through the woods, up and down rocky terrine. The green trail led us to some historic rock ruins and down to a beautiful waterfall.

Solid trail with a nice pace and mix of terrain. Great way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Favorite part was discovering an abandoned stone house by a small waterfall. Caught a couple fish out there too. Great trail for beginners

Wear pants (not shorts); lot of fun, especially the loop; we took the red trail with 6.3 miles. Finished in about 3.5 hours while stopping at the river streams.

Tracking the map with this app (pro user) was very helpful.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Trail waa Beautiful and never boring

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Lovely walk today! Leaves were covering trails so it was quite slippery going downhill, watch your footing. Trails could definitely be marked better but this app truly helped when we missed our markers!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Hiked out Blue from Cooper Gristmill to Conifer Trail (Red) to Green back to Blue today with my wife, daughter and lab buster brown. Good workout trail is not marked real well so pay attention. Trail leaf cover at this point so a little slippery on the downside.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

We did this trail on Oct 15 with a combination of blue, red and a little green trails. We did over 6 miles within 3 hours with several brief stops for taking photos. The views are good at this time of the year because of leave color changing.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Slightly more challenging than Hacklebarney, and an absolutely beautiful trail. You can spend the entire day exploring the different trails along the main route.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Fishing was great along the trail.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

The river was very low, which made the waterfall pretty weak, but it was one of the better trails I've ever been on. I will definitely go back, maybe after some good rainfall to see the streams and waterfall more active. Overall a great experience with very nice views.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

One of the best trails i've done so far.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Excellent!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

It was great! Lots of beautiful scenery & rivers/streams. Many trails to take! Also a Millhouse from the 1730's that has free tours! Lovely people that work there! This app also helped our hike tremendously.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Love this trail but it can be very muddy at times

Saturday, April 16, 2016

great walk by the water

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Great hiking spot!

Saturday, October 10, 2015

This is a great trail for a half day or all day hike. The terrain is typically rough with lots of roots. Not a trail I'd recommend for views, but it's definitely a good workout and has beautiful forest scenery.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Lovely hike along the river. Good workout but not overly strenuous. Overgrown in some areas at the moment!

Monday, July 27, 2015

Very nice hike. Went on a Friday, midday, and saw ONE other person on the trail. Good exercise -- lots of up 'n down. Well marked except for right around the nature center-- had to walk a leg on the road, but the map didn't show that truly. Did the 8 mile lollipop-- thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of diverse terrain and both deciduous and conifer regions.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Great

Monday, June 15, 2015

Total nooby here. The first 10 minutes or so of the trail made me a bit nervous but was not at all indicative of the trail ahead (which I thoroughly enjoyed). Bits of the trail was a little hidden at first; there was more mud and walking over non-flat slushy areas that threw me. This was more difficult than I had anticipated. Once past te clasped bridge, it was a much different trail! It followed a nice creek for a while then gently inclined, all the while in the shade of trees. About 2-2.5 miles in, all of a sudden the trail flattened and emptied into a stunning open field of trees, tall grass, and flowers. I followed it through until I came to a paved road. (Ok, I followed the paved road a bit until a saw a sign that indicated private property beyond that point).

I arrived around 10:15am on a Sunday in June. There were only 4 other cars when I arrived. When I left there were 6 others total. Not crowded at all! There were just enough people for me (again, total n00b) to feel safe should anything bad happen. But I saw them infrequently enough to maintain the peaceful vibe.

This trailed is marked "moderate" and I would agree. If you have trouble with unstable footing (very small muddy hills, mud puddles), the beginning of this trial may be tough. Once beyond that though he majority of the path is easily identifiable. I didn't use a trail map and had no problem at all navigating. The steady incline through approx 40-50% of the trail provided ample workout for me, and was well-balanced by the relatively flat terrain on either side of it. Beautiful sites throughout the whole thing!

As other hikers pointed out, the trail is flanked by busy roads. They aren't too close in though and helped me keep my bearings. Some hikers may not like the roads and their noise but I didn't feel that they damped my experience.

Highly recommended!