Bearfort Mountain Lookout Trail

Bearfort Mountain Lookout Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Milford, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 495 feet Route Type: Out & Back

By the way it’s in West Milford N.J. not Clinton N.J.

Monday, September 17, 2018

it says Clinton nj, then shows a more than one hour drive.. minor detail ...

Thursday, October 19, 2017

An easier way to get to the fire tower. Amazing 360 views if you climb it. You need a permit from Newark Watershed ti to hike their property. Watch out for swarms of yellow jackets at the tower base.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Took my boxer for a walk through here today. My route was a little different from what's illustrated here. Here's my experience: I live about a mile from this trail head so I walked to it. From the gate at the trail head I took the western leg in so I was walking in a clockwise route. The first half of the western leg is basically a woods road. It does narrow a bit as you get closer to the turn off point but aside from jumping over a few small streams there aren't any challenges. This leg of the trail is marked with white/blue blazes. My route differs a bit from the red line on this map as I turned right onto a trail with turquois diamond blazes and followed it east (it's a short leg) until I came to the trail marked with white rectangle blazes where I turned south. This white blazed trail is up along the ridge marked with the elevation 1016, it is not down along the shore line. There was a turn off (to the west) marked with blue blazes that descended the slope. I suspect it would have brought me back to the white/blue trail I walked in on. I'll explore it sometime and report back. The hike is basically an open trail walk with the exception of the leg with the turquoise diamond blazes and the first half of the white blazed trail that heads south. These had some more interesting terrain with rocky ledges. Please don't head into here with only my narrative. Review and use your own trail map. I didn't have a map with me and was only using my sense of direction and the topography to guide me. The trails are well marked but folks have gotten lost in this area more than once.

Saturday, October 21, 2017