Alder and Fitness Trail Loop

Alder and Fitness Trail Loop is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Freehold, New Jersey that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A walk through Turkey Swamp reveals a primitive wilderness. Much of the park is forested by pitch pine and oak trees with an understory of bracken fern, pepper bush, blueberry, and catbriar. Many plants and animals associated with the NJ Pine Barrens can be found here.

Gorgeous Views and Very Peaceful

Truly enjoy this park. Just go you owe it to yourself to check it out

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hiked the Manasquan Trail. I only saw 2 other people during my walk, and they were park employees. Nicely maintained trail through the wooded areas on the North side of the property.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Parked at Oak Point area and headed down to the boat house. Wanted to start the Alder Trail but had a bit of an issue no markings until a couple came by and pointed me in the right direction. The trail goes across 2 fields and a parking lot (I believe). Very nice trail with boardwalks and great views of the lake. At the end I took the Metedeconk Trail, very nice relaxing trail with some length. This park has a lot of bathrooms and rest areas, very great. Really nice park for lots of outdoor activities.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Love Turkey Swamp Park - go there often and always something new to see each time. Unfortunately today the Adler Trail was flooded out due to the recent rain we received.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

What a great little gem! The trail around the water is nicely maintained and has some great views and many benches to rest at. There are jungle gyms for kids to play on. You can ride horses on trails and through pastures. Lots of picnic tables are available to have lunch at. There is a small beach where you can launch a kayak or canoe!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Very muddy trails better to hike in dry weather

Sunday, July 03, 2016

fun trial on my MT BIKE people I met were friendly had a little bit of everything root some mud some sand some hard packed cool.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Completed the trail around the lake (Alder Trail) by accessing the park from the Matedeconk Trailhead (I recommend this mile long access trail through the lush, swamp section). It also allows for very early access to the park so you have the lake to yourself!

Very easy trail system. the park is obviously heavily used during the day with boat rentals, a boat house, playgrounds and picnic areas, etc. Go early and beat everyone to the lake... you will thank yourself for the serenity of the lake.

This is more of a family outing location, but the side trails are nice hikes. You can find solitude along the back side of the lake, as most people will stay along the more developed areas. I uploaded pics, so take a look and enjoy!

Friday, May 22, 2015

Fun but not the best trail

Friday, July 19, 2013

thought there would be a good bike trail but seems more hiking on north side to swamp marsh, got really muddy and we turned back but hopefully the south side is much better?I'd recommend hiking, camping, kyak/fishing instead.

Thanks Mike

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Very easy trail, I stayed on the main "driving" path because it was raining today but it was still very nice and beautifully maintained.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

We took the Alder (green) trail which was a loop around the shelter, passing the boat house and skirting the lake. We had our dog with us, and as this was his first trip out with us, the timing was inaccurate since he had to stop and sniff every nook and cranny. It was a great day and more of an easy walk than a hike. Definitely recommend it and we will be going again. I have been to Turkey Swamp park for many years paddle boating and picnicking with my class, but this was the first time I used the trails.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017