Zealand Summit via Zealand Trail and Appalachian Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Zealand Falls and a few views makes the wooded summit of this mountain easy to swallow for Northeast Peakbaggers Zealand mountain is located in on edge of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. You will pass by a beautiful AMC hut and Zealand Falls on the way to the wooded summit. The falls are definitely worth a stop at on the way up. You will have some views of the Bond Range near the top through the trees.

Super easy trail up to Zealand Falls Hut. Along this first 2.8 miles you travel gentle grades as it follows an old rail road bed. Upon entering the beaver pond area wildlife is abundant and the landscape is draped it beautiful autumn colors! The next 1.3 miles to Zeacliff is much steeper with many large boulders to work around. There is even a ladder to scale your way up a very steep almost vertical granite wall. The view from Zeacliff is amazing. From here you can see Mt. Washington in the distance with the distinct round hump of Mt. Eisenhower in the foreground. Mt. Carrigain towers into the sky and if you use binoculars you can even see the firetower on the summit. You also get a view of the rugged cliffs of Whitewall Mountain with Ethan Pond just beyond. As I continued on, bog bridges helped keep things dry as I passed through the col between Zeacliff and onward and upward to the summit of Zealand Mountain 1.6 miles from Zeacliff. Although the summit is treed in it is still a great trip, and a cool summit sign! I read where others described the trip from the cliff to the summit as boring or nondescript, I did not find this to be the case. On this final leg of the ascent there is yet another marked view point and you can take a side trip to the shores of Zealand Pond. There are also much rare plant growth and wildlife along the way. Overall a great day out and another 4K conquered!!! Took me 6 hours total with approx. 1-1/2 hours of breaks & exploration.

Super fun and my Australian cattle dog had a lot of fun too. Pretty steep after you go past the hut but it’s well worth the view.

nice moderate hike. Really cool going up to the hut and the falls. otherwise, with the exception of the cliff, it's just a nondescript hike up to the wooded summit. about six hours round-trip incl a few stops.

Very easy up to the hut but after that it was a bit difficult to the peak. No view at the peak so if you're looking for a pretty semi difficult hike i would try something else.

Awesome

Went in the fall, so beautiful. Had soup up in the hut. Definitely recommend this hike!

Fun hike! Usually wooded summits aren’t particularly exciting but the trail itself is so beautiful that I didn’t mind hiking into the middle of the woods to turn around and go back. The huts are always a treat, too. My favorite part was the blueberry bushes on the top between Zeacliff and the summit.

Total trip including breaks took me 5 hours and 35 mins. The first 2.8 to the hut is very flat and took me 1 hour on the way up and 35 mins on the way back (I ran). The trail from the hut to the cliff (1.2) is the most difficult part of the hike and took me 1 hour up and 45 min down. It flattens out again to the summit and that 1.6 took me 1 hour there and 45 min back.

I was skeptical about the easy rating but this really was an easy hike.

Hike starts off easy but long, once you get to the hut you are able to cool off in the falls. Pretty strenuous hike up to the outlook but has a nice view. I don’t recommend going to Zealand summit unless your completing the 48 4K mountains, it’s a long boring hike with absolutely no view.

Easy hike to the hut with a lot of wildlife and flowers. The trail to the peak was a little harder with some cools view.

Very good hike. Past the hut is very rocky and not an easy hike you need poles. After the view at Zea Cliff you continue on Trailway trail to get to Zealand summit. It is confusing at the junction where Zealand trail heads to Ethan Lake so I did not make it to the summit but turned back.

Best part was seeing a moose!

Got a late start and turned around at the hut. We thought the portions of the river were nicer below and at the lower portion of the waterfall (just before the last section to the hut) were nicer for hanging out because of all the people near the hut / falls. My husband skipped the last and only steep rocky hull to the hut as it was our second hike of the day. Lovely trail.

This trail was awesome ! My wife and I had a great time ! Highly recommend!

I would not consider this an easy trail. Some parts are easy but others are very rocky. beautiful scenery and the falls are worth the hike. I didn't go any further than the falls.

Definitely one of the prettier trails I've done! But I think something needs to be made crystal clear: The Zealand trail to the AMC hut is the easy part. In NO way is the Zeacliff trail beyond it to the summit of Mt Zealand considered easy. It's definitely a steep, rocky and moderate trail. My friend and I were one of the few people who tackled it without trekking poles and while I don't think they are necessary it's clear many others did.

The cliff has a lovely view and the day was utterly perfect! the trail was beautifully maintained but the number of bridges was a surprise. A really pretty hike on a trail that was not overly busy. Definitely recommend.

No way it's rated easy! past the hut is on the difficult side of moderate. nice view from the cliff and the hut, small pile of rocks and a sign on the summit.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Great cold hike, definitely not as cold as it could have been but there were some extraordinarily windy spots. The trail was VERY Wet and saturated with water throughout the entire hike. There were a few rainy days beforehand that probably didn't make it better.

One thing I noticed no one really mentions is how many bridges there are, I counted over 90 from the beginning of the trail to the summit of Zealand. Most are after the hut. Nothing wrong with the amount of bridges but based on the other peaks I have hiked it was the most I had ever seen. The bridges around the Zeacliff outlook are loose and SINK when you step on them. There are parts of mud that are pretty much unavoidable, jumping with a heavy pack is pretty exhausting lol.

We actually started before sunrise so we had to use our headlamps for the first 40 minutes or so which was pretty cool. The bridges around the pond area were a bit icy but nothing crazy. We did experience a moose on the trail, luckily it looked like we spooked him more than he did us and we saw him run off into the marshy area.

The trail was a bit busy especially on our way back. Overall a fun hike, obviously with how wet the trail is it is very slippery especially the logs. No bug issues thanks to the temperature, I would imagine it would be pretty miserable during summer with how much water is around. Beautiful trail, definitely would fall hike this again maybe even early spring when the snow has begun to melt.

side note we did get chased down the mountain for a little bit by a bird, definitely a 1st and hopefully the last

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Great hiking with a fabulous fall foliage bonus! No view from the peak but the views on the hike in made up for it. The hut is so cool! Great croo with answers to all your questions.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

it was a good hike .it was beautiful hike

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Tougher hike than 'Easy'. The hike is awesome though and the hut is a cool stopping point. Views were cool at the top too

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Nice trail. Passes by beaver ponds. Half way, there is a hut. They sell food, like soup, cake, tea. Z-cliff view is very beautiful.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Outstanding trail albeit be careful with footing

Sunday, July 30, 2017

No view at the summmit very pissed off . But the view at the cliff is amazing so if you see the sign that says view just go there

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Great hike. Not strenuous but has some minor stream crossings and rocky path requiring sure-footedness. Go to the hut for a nice view.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Did this one last September as a solo day-hike. One of my favorites of the 4000'ers. Not a difficult hike but it is long. The first couple miles are very easy and wind through various types of terrain. There's also a brief but steep portion maybe 3/4's up. No views from the top but the cliff view is one of the best I've seen. I spent a good bit of time there. Stopped in at Zealand Falls hut to rest and use the restroom on the way up and back.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

easy and has amazing views!!

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Amazing and worth the trip to the amazing hut. More like a house. Roomy, food and drink :-)
Kid friendly

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Great trail. Easy to moderate. The hut was great grabbed a cookie there. The waterfalls were fantastic. Nice little 6mi hike not hard but challenging enough whole family can do it.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Lots of water sources for the dog. Waterfalls were great. If the day was hotter I would have jumped in myself. The bugs weren't bad, but they must be lethal in spring with all of the shallow pools on the approach. Zeacliff was really gorgeous. Zealand Summit is anticlimactic. Decided to hit the Hale summit afterward and this melted my legs away due to having to reclaim 2000ft elev. Hale summit has no view, but there are some views through the trees on approach. Blueberries along the trail were tart and delicious.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Hiked to the Zealand Hut on 8/13/2016. Left around 10 AM and fortunately after the hot weather and high humidity broke -- previous days were 90*F and 90% humidity.

Hike in was uneventful and unfortunately had limited visibility with the changeable weather systems. All in all, enjoyable and relatively easy to get to the hut, shed some gear and then leave for a couple other peaks.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hiked to Zealand Hut on 7/24/2016. The weather and trail condition was excellent although there was a tree down across the trail that was not there on the accent. The temperature was 63°F and humidity was comfortable. Traffic was marginal on the trail to and fro. All hikers encountered were courteous and friendly. All an all it was an excellent day hiking the New Hampshire White Mountains.