South Mountain Lookout Tower Trail

South Mountain Lookout Tower Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nottingham, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wonderful trail, but quite trafficated on weekends. Pets are allowed but you cannot access the trail from the main park entrance. Use Reservoir Rd. I posted an alternative loop with pets that is about 4mi and easy.

Hard to know where the summits it's not marked. Trails are all marked with the same markings got a little off track... AllTrails works great!!!

Nice trail, easy at the beginning, moderate at the end. But lot of bugs.

We were looking for something moderately long. 5 miles was at the edge of what we wanted, but since we had to park at the park headquarters and walk to the trailhead we added a mile to that including a pretty good hill at the end. I did see some kids at the top but I don't think the outing is for most little ones, unless they are hiking pros.
The view from the top was OK, but not great. There is a fire tower up but they were working on it so it was not open.
Be careful because the park seems to blaze everything in white and we started off the summit on the wrong trail and had to backtrack.
In general I would rate this hike poorly on the effort to reward ratio.

Nice trail for a stroll, but there was not much of a summit. If you are looking for a hike with a great view of lakes and mountains-this is not the trail for you. This is a nice trail, but a little on the longer side. I probably woukd not do this trail again.