Winslow Trail and Barlow Trail Loop

Winslow Trail and Barlow Trail Loop is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near New London, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Kearsarge is a must-do hike for anyone living in the Kearsarge area. The summit has a fire tower (which is occasionally open to enter). The top is very exposed and offers 360 degree views. Note: The road leading to the normal parking lot is blocked off during the off season so you have to hike up the road about half a mile before reaching the trail head.

Nice little hike stupidly done in the rain.

Beautiful hike! I suggest going up Winslow and then down Barlow.

Great morning hike. We started hiking at 7am and reached the top just after 8. Great views and a really nice maintained trail. Highly recommend and well worth the time.

Such a beautiful spot! But the trail is in poor condition with tree roots, downed trees and rocks requiring full attention. Went up the Barlow side and also returned that way after hearing from hikers who said Winslow side very steep and rocky. My dog loved it. My husband not so much.

Great short hike. Steep trek up Winslow gets you working. 360 degree views for miles on a clear day are great!

great hike!

Great hike - not too challenging, but got a good workout. Took the Winslow Trail up, Barlow on the descent. Wasn’t too busy when we went up, but when we got back at about 11:00 the parking lot was packed. Amazing views at the top (and on the way up) and not as crowded as Monadnock. Fun day!

A good short hike, especially good for kids who aren't too young. This moderate loop is best done with Winslow as the ascent and Barlow for the descent. It's a moderate hike because of the steep sections and ledges which can be slippery when wet, but there really aren't any technical sections to this hike.

Awesome hike!! Did this one with my mom— Winslow up and Barlow down. Winslow was pretty steep but the view was so worth it. 360 degrees of being able to see forever up top! I would definitely wear bug spray though, there were a lot of bugs in the first half. I would also not recommend this hike for little children. But overall, 5-star hike with a 5-star view.

Winslow up, Barlow down. Similar difficulty to Monadonock but shorter and less packed...our new favorite! Would at least rate Winslow as HARD, if you consider Monadonock hard. $4/adult, $2/kid. We were only the third car in the parking lot by 9am on a beautiful day, but by 11 it was pretty full. Porta-potties were very clean. Lots of bugs! Trail markers are burgandy on Winslow and a little hard to see sometimes.

Spent 2 1/2 hours hiking this loop with my husband. Beautiful trails and the view from the top is stunning.

Relatively short hike but beautiful views to the northeast of the whites, south to monadnock and west to Vermont

I did this hike today with my husband and I would not recommend for small children. Towards the summit is very steep and I cringed watching the kids running around while the parents talked and took photos.

Park fee is cheap $4/adult. Park is very clean and people are friendly although there was an excessive amount of doggy doo doo on the trail.

Wish the restroom house was open, had to opt out for the potter potties which was pretty gross.

Do recommend you use the Barlow trail if you are not on the experienced side!

Great hike for the family.

Great short hike! Very very buggy! Do not forget bug spray!

Huge bang for your buck! Great but tough beginner hike. It’s nothing to crazy, but you’ll certainly be out of breath! Very short quick trip to the beyond gorgeous summit. We were lucky enough to be able to go up the fire tower & ask the man working some questions about his job. I could have stayed on this summit forever!

Fantastic hike. Non stop upward hike to the top, and was all worth the trip. The 360 views at the top were outstsnding. Gonna go back again soon.

Great weather. A little buggy at parts but a nice breeze kept them away most of the time. A lot of roots on the trail. Only a few short sections had mud. Went up Winslow which was decently steep and took Barlow down. Some nice lookouts. Enough shade to keep out of the sun during lunch. Took us 2.5 hours, including stopping for lunch and a few overlooks. Actual hiking time was a bit under 2 hours. Bang for your buck hike.

Hiked this trail the other day with my boyfriend and our dog. Nice trail, we did Barlow up and Winslow down.

Great hike but the trail still has some ice so be sure to get a good foot hold while doing this trail.

Did this hike on Earth day with my boyfriend's family and we all had a blast. It is still very snowy and icy so spikes are recommended. Only took about a hour up and a very fun 30 min away down that consisted of a lot of slidding! Amazing views from the top! A must hike for anyone in the area.

The Winslow Trail is pretty steep and rocky, but it’s fairly short, and you start getting views about two-thirds of the way up. There is a fabulous panorama at the summit, with views of the White Mountains, the Green Mountains, and countless other points near and far. The Barlow Trail is a longer and easier, it is certainly better for the descent route. I’ve heard that the trails can get fairly crowded, but it was fine when we went (on a Sunday in late September). A great hike.

Pretty icy going up, spikes are mandatory. A few people turned back.

Great day to try out my new micro spikes . Worth every dime. Nice views from summit, cold windy day but nice workout . Gate is closed at bottom of road, so extra mile walk to trailhead for a warm up. Saw bear tracks in frozen snow up top

V icy so bring crampons/microspikes other than that an awesome peak. on a clear day you can see many 4Kers in the distances

Went up Winslow and down Barlow. Well marked trails. Great views at the top. All in all it was an easy hike. Some steep areas thru Winslow but there were alternate paths so its family friendly

Love this loop. We took our 3.5 year old up Winslow and down Barlow. He is a VERY active kid and was able to make it up Winslow all on his own! He was spent after spending some time on the summit so we ended up having to backpack him about half of the way down Barlow. I would say Barlow is more kid friendly than Winslow. Winslow is certainly a trail that is easy if you can maintain your pace. LOTS of larger rocks but also a fair amount of easier ways around them is you need less of a challenge.

In my opinion Winslow is too steep to descend on for my liking but Barlow also has a lot of open edges and large open faced rocks closer to the summit, so it depends on you preference on how to take it

Great views. Slippery rocks in a number of spots.

We hike Mt Kearsarge in Sept 2016 and went up Winslow and down Barlow. And it was tough but great!! This time we hiked up Barlow and down Barlow also. Even though it was not as steep as Winslow it was still a workout and still exciting. A little bit of everything. Flat, roots, rocks, boulders. If you have issues with heights and wide open edges there is one part that can be a bit unnerving for folks like me - scared of heights and wide open edges. However I did it and it was not that hard. On all the rocks and boulders there always was an alternate way up and around if you are unsure of your footing on the rocks. A fantastic hike. Enjoyed it thoroughly!