Whitehorse Ledge Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(108)
Echo Lake State Park

Whitehorse Ledge Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 974 feet Route Type: Loop

Was a great trail. We started where merrimeeting road and cathedral ledge road meet (parked) and followed the Bryce yellow blazes trail up. New to the area so we didn’t realize it looped and we started the steep way up to cathedral ledge. Realized there is an access road up (that was closed). The trails are clearly marked and we looped back to head up to white horse ledge. Got to the shoulder and were losing daylight so we went back down the steep way. Some areas are rather rocky and roots on soft pine needle forest floor, so good footwear is a must.

Trail was very well maintained, social distancing was made very easy. Going counter clockwise will take you up the steep side and down the gradual side. Very fun and a tad difficult for me and my girlfriend with limited hiking experience.

Great loop. We went counterclockwise so that we went up the steep part and down the gradual part (more knee friendly!). Lots of people on the trail (it’s Memorial Day so that was not surprising). However the general lack of respect for social distancing was pretty frustrating. I am fine if people hike their own hike, however it would be great if everyone would maintain appropriate distances so as not to put others at risk. Lots of shade and really well marked.

It was beautiful day hiking the WhiteHorse Loop Trail. The path is fairly well marked with many yellow blades and affords a nice leisurely hike up to the ledge. There is a good elevation gain the way up but not too strenuous. Use the trail on the left going up! The downward part of the loop is quite steep and rocky, wear good shoes, and avoid wet or icy conditions. Great views from the top of Eco Lake and surrounding Conway Valley, Mr Cramore and lots more. This was a great way to spend the afternoon. We had the two dogs with us and they loved the hike too... Also, numerous little streams throughout the hike this time of year. Overall, very enjoyable, great exercise, and steep on the way down so I recommend a hiking pole.

flooded

Nice little trail with the family and lunch up at the top.

great hike with my daughter and dog. no micro spikes needed. very leafy and muddy in areas as expected. highly recommend.

Took this trail unexpectedly. Great hike even with the dogs! Very well marked.

2/2420

icy

Great trail, marked well. Few slippery spots. Used snow shoes going up but took them off to go down, worth the work for the view

icy

This was our 5th hike of the week and least spectacular. Counter clockwise is definitely the way to go due to the steepness. Would rather go up the steep than the down. Overall the trail is well marked, but a little confusing at the top. There is a " Trail" sign with left arrow. Disregard that, stay right, and the hang a right at the next intersection. Or... just pay attention to the All Trails app map.

Took about 3 hours in total. We turned right at the first fork, going up Bryce path. Very steep and rocky. Glad we chose to go up that way because it would have been very difficult to descend. Came down white horse ledge path, much easier on the way down. Definitely recommend. Beautiful views at the top.

I did this trail counter clockwise and I’m glad I did. The right side going up was very steep and slippery as it had rained heavily two days prior. I was very grateful for the work recently done on Bryce path. As others have said keep an eye out for the yellow blazes some areas are not heavily marked. Parts of this trail I would definitely rate as hard versus moderate. An alternate route would be to go left around to the top as an out and back. It will make the trip longer though. I veered off to Cathedral ledge and was glad I did it only added a little over a half mile to the hike but it was very steep and rocky. I did have a little bit of difficulty finding the yellow blazes from the trail head… Followed the red and blue which led me to the yellow. This was likely because of where I parked as I have never been here before. I rated it five stars for the amazing views, large boulders, and large pine trees. I would not recommend this for kids unless they are avid hikers.

Great trail. I had to take the White Horse trail up and back since Bryce Path is closed until 10/12/19. Dog friendly. No streams so bring water for dog.

Update on trail closure for Bryce Path. Per New Hampshire State Parks Bryce Path with be closed from Bryce Link to the top of Cathedral Ledge beginning on Tuesday, October 1st through Friday, October 11th for trail repairs and upgrades. In addition there will no access downhill from Cathedral Ledge or Whitehorse Ledge Trail (from the top trailhead). The crews began building rock stairs on the steep pitch that need to be completed.

I agree with several other reviews that this was more difficult than ‘moderate’. Beautiful hike and scenery, but if you have regular sneakers on, you may slip and slide. This trail is not leisurely, you need appropriate gear and preparedness. The whole loop, and some time at the top, took a little over 3 hours. We were caught by surprise at how steep and rocky it was at one point coming down. However it was so beautiful today and we enjoyed it immensely.

Linked this from Whitehorse over to Cathedral but otherwise followed the clockwise. Great views, Cathedral is pretty crowded but Whitehorse had very few people. Stay on the yellow blazes. Foliage is already turning, I'd guess the peak will be in 2 weeks!

Copying this here because we had a really disappointing hike: Per New Hampshire State Parks Bryce Path with be closed from Bryce Link to the top of Cathedral Ledge beginning on Tuesday, September 17th through Friday, September 27th for trail repairs and upgrades. In addition there will no access downhill from Cathedral Ledge. The part that was open was next to a golf course, which was less than ideal. Still giving it 4 stars because I believe the closed part of the trail is the real seller, and the big boulders in the woods were beautiful.

I couldn’t have imagined a more beautiful place to be proposed to at! Lovely hike up (not very well marked, def wanna stay focused on where you’re going, easy to go off trail on accident). And a beautiful view from the top! This trail will always hold a special place in my heart now!!

Moderate my behind. This was hard. Very hard. But we got thorough it.

Très beau point de vue au sommet. Faut être vigilant car le marquage n’est pas toujours là...

Nice trail. Not too difficult and a pretty short incline. Beautiful views from up top.

Great hike to do solo. Saw some people but was able to also hike at my own pace.