Whitehorse Ledge Loop Trail

Whitehorse Ledge Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I normally take Bryce's up to Cathedral and then over to Whitehorse and down this trail since it's less steep than coming down Bryce's. Then take a dip in the lake! yesterday's hike was perfect as there was a light breeze to keep the bugs away and it was mild temps.

We headed out on the trail and continued clockwise around the loop. The hike does have a few moderate inclines on the way up. We were with four kids ages 5-8. They all handled the hike well even though they were pretty tired. The top is large bare rock which is fun to explore. The decent is much trickier and steeper so you want to keep an eye on the kids even though they may want to race down. Mileage was just under 5 Miles. I think the mileage listed was 3 something so definitely keep in mind it may be longer than what’s listed on this site. Also there were lots of little roads that the kids kept finding which they enjoyed.

We parked along Cathedral Ledge Rd. and made our way up Bryce Path trail which starts out easy but then comes to a steep area that doesn't last too long before leveling off again. The rest of the hike up was easy from there with great views down to North Conway, surrounding mountains and direct views of Echo lake and Cranmore ski slopes. The hike down the other side brings you below and across the base of White Horse ledge and you will see some very large boulders along the path which is really something else to see. Overall, it's a nice loop hike worth repeating!

picked out of a hat, steep in the beginning and really pretty at the top. we did white horse and prob will do athedra next time

Couple of steep spots, some nice views

We did this in November of 2015 from Echo Lake via the Bryce Path. There is one really steep section and when you get to the top you can go left for Whitehorse or right to Cathedral. We went left and came out to Whitehorse. The views were great but we didn’t get to hang out very long as we were losing sun (we started this hike too late). At the top in the back there is an entrance to an easier winding way back down and we took that. It ends up winding back and forth and then goes by the golf course by the White Mountain Hotel and comes out in the parking lot there. We cut across the golf course because it was really getting dark. We need to do this again and head over to Cathedral next time:)

I did this hike with my mi-aged mother and it was in October during the PEAK of falls colors. All I can say is that it was a completely breathtaking experience for she and I. She is not much of a hiker, so parts of the trail were indeed difficult for her. But the reward of the beautiful trees and serenity on top of Cathedral Ledge was well worth it for us.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

This is absolutely beautiful! Depending on your fitness level, this might be difficult for some. I would rate this Moderate/difficult in places for sure. The trek down for me was quite steep with moments of vertigo. If you don't like steep, I would suggest going the longer route around and then going back down the same way.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Did this with my 5yr old. He loved the view up top. We were having a great time until we were rounding the bottom by the hotel and ran into a black bear. Luckily he let us walk away and we abandoned the trail to get into the parking lot and away from him. Took another trail and the road to get back to our car. Scariest moment of my life! Remember to be safe out there, you never know when you're going to have a run in with nature.

Monday, July 03, 2017

I did the loop counter clockwise and stopped at Cathedral ledge on the way. The trail from the north end was well-marked, but coming down to the south area was confusing because the markers were difficult to see. Best views here was at Cathedral Ledge... can't see much on the White Horse trail unfortunately.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful views. Steep in areas. Not recommended for children.

Friday, April 22, 2016

very tough and challenging

Friday, July 03, 2015

My wife and I did not complete his trail due to the steepness in places, but overall it was very beautiful. The terrain is pretty rough but the trail is clearly marked. Highly recommended.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Beautiful views from Cathedral Ledge. Some steep areas but fairly easy walk for the most part.

Monday, September 12, 2016