Carter Ledge Trail

Carter Ledge Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,696 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Conway, NH: Travel south on SR 16 about 5 miles passing through the tiny burg of Albany. Enter White Ledge Campground. The trail begins from the campground picnic area.

1 hour ago

Left from campground beautiful day for this hike. Took Carter Ledge up and back summited Middle Sister and Chocorua. Strenuous and steep but very rewarding. We are not fast hikers stopping to take in viewpoints took us 8 hrs. Reading other reviews would say September is great time to go - no bugs!

Nice “Classic NH” trail that I did as a loop from the campground up to Chocura and down Piper Trail. Mosquitos were intense although a few applications of deet kept them at bay. There are a couple of good steeps and the trail is less trafficked than Piper but it was doable by my 9 year old and should be OK with a reasonable level of fitness. Nice woods and streams going up, and than utterly amazing views once you break out onto the summits and ridge line.

Had to turn back after an hour because the mosquitoes were so vicious—even with the bug spray. Had my dog with me and he got so chowed he needed benadryl....wish we had gotten to see more and would try it again at a different time of year, but not worth the bites right now.

QUIT TRAIL COMPARED TO PIPPER NEXT DOOR. I DIDN'T SEE ANYONE UNTIL I HIT THE LEDGES. WHICH HAS TO BE THE BEST VIEW OF CHOCORUA IN THE AREA. THER IS A STEEP SECTION BEFORE LEDGES. BUT WORTH THE WORK. AND THERE IS A NICE PART THAT RUNS THROUGH A SPRUCE STAND LIKE A TUNNEL. GREAT TRAIL.

First day that I didn't need to change my clothing multiple times due to cold temperatures and wind. However the bugs are back full force. But that's hiking in New Hampshire. Nice trail. Relatively gentle grade until just after the junction with the Nickerson Ledge Trail then quite steep. But you get rewarded with some awesome views of Chocurua from the Carter ledges. Then there's a bit of a break in the grade before another 2 steep pitches then you get to the trail junction with the Middle Sister Trail. From here it's a short 0.3 miles to the summit of Middle Sister with very beautiful 360 degree views from Chocurua to the south across the Sandwich Range and Kancamaugus Highway and Pemigewasset Wilderness all the way to the Presidentials. Definitely worth a redo, maybe as part of a Chocurua traverse. Steep but worth it!

Snow is soft... be ready for extreme post holing!

Gorgeous views! Some amount of scrambling. I would suggest climbing up this trail, and going back down on Middle Sister trail.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Really nice hike! About a mile in from the road I came upon a mama black bear with 3-4 cubs. Very cool, but somewhat scary. Once they saw me and ran away I continued my hike. The first 2 miles or so are pretty mellow hiking through the forest. The last half mile or so though is actually quite steep with nice views, a little scrambling and lots of very loose rock and dirt. The very top features bald ledges and 360 views. Pretty spectacular given the relatively small amount of effort.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

So If I were climb this trail again, I would park at the Piper trail parking lot and start the hike there. I would go up the Piper trail until you hit the Nickerson ledge trail go up this trail which will meet the Carter ledge trail in 0.8 miles. The Nickerson ledge trail is actually quite steep in the beginning and levels off after 0.2 miles. Once on the Carter Ledge trail it’s not that difficult until you reach the rock face. You will encounter a steep incline with some rock scree, where I used the trees around me to get up this section. Once there you will have some great views and some moderately difficult rock scrambling but it’s not that difficult just a little steep. I would say the next hardest section would be summiting middle sister where the rock scrambling became much more difficult. Overall I would say that this was a challenging hike with great views. Be sure to take the Piper trail down, it’s easier and after a tough climb you can just jump in your car for a nice ride home.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Certainly a challenge. First mile or so is solidly runnable, then turns to stop and go scrambling, and finally straight scrambling and bouldering. Double tack to single track to almost narrow deer trails. Hard but well worth the effort.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Overgrown so much that enjoying the area is limited, therefore the effort isn't worth it! We found the difficulty (not roots or muddy just rocky and steep without steps in sections) too challenging for the reward. In short, our group of 4 all agreed: skip this one. We hiked 5/18, clear sky, high was in the eighties.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Deep slushy snow on the day we went. Didn't bring snowshoes so sank in up to the knee every 3rd step. Made for a long and tiring day- had to turn back before the top. Views beautiful along the way.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Harder than expected but fantastic view

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Strolled in for a day hike to the campsite. There was between 2-8 inches of snow on the trail, it was gorgeous. Stopped at Ripley Falls, again, not being a winter hiker found it a nice site. I've gone there a few times in the summer and found the winter view interesting. Only bad part, a car parked at the trail head was broken into. Warning to the unsuspecting...this happens too often, LOCK YOUR VALUABLES UP OUT OF SITE! A great day hike, shelter perfect for lunch and rest.

Friday, August 24, 2018