Welch and Dickey Loop Trail

Welch and Dickey Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thornton, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Intersection of SRs 175 & 49, NH: Travel east on SR 49 about 4.5 miles and turn left on Upper Mad River Road. Travel a short distance and turn right onto Orris Road. Follow Orris Road for .6 mile taking a right at the fork into a small parking lot. Trail begins there.

WOW. what a trail. the best ever. However, it should have been rated as hard ( due to the VERY slippery granit rocks and the high climbing). We were family with 12, 15 years kids. It took us 3.20 hours with occasional breaks. The view is amazing! and the climbing is really worthy.Very recoomended to families with older kids (which are not very young and are experienced in hiking). In our opinion its not recommended for dogs. Very enjoyable trail.!!
VERY IMPORTANT:Pay attention to do the loop- counter clockwise

Fantastic. I summited on a Wednesday in August, began at 10 am and was back to my car by 1:00 pm, though I stopped for a fairly long time along the way. My favorite part is that once you get to the top of Welch, Dickey mountain is only like .4 miles away, and you can clearly see the mountain you're about the climb, which is really cool. Spectacular views all along, but first mile is through underbrush, and not very steep. Trail was marked fairly well, I didn't have too much of a problem finding the yellow lines on the rocks that direct you.

As a warning, I wouldn't call this a moderate trail, more "hard". I'm 21 years old and fairly in shape. Although the trail isn't too long, there are some extremely steep sections that some children and older people simply won't be able to do.

My daughter and I completed the Welch-Dickey Loop trail this past weekend, and I have to say that the views are well worth the effort it takes to complete the loop. We followed the trail in a counter-clockwise loop, as others have suggested. The first peak is Welch Mt., which gives great 360 views from the peak, but also great views at many intervals after you clear the trees at about 1.2 miles in. The second peak, Dickey Mt., offers great views looking North, but also great views looking back at Welch Mt. The descent from Welch Mt. to the valley between the the two mountains is a little steep at points, but nothing outrageous. Although rated moderate, I was a little more winded than I have been on other trails marked moderate, especially on the smooth bare-faced rock that seemed to keep ascending forever. It took us 3 hrs., with occasional breaks.

My husband and I hiked this trail a few days ago and loved it. We hiked counter clockwise as suggested. The views are plentiful and amazing. I would say this is rated moderate for a White Mountain hike but it is more challenging compared to some other hikes I have done that were rated moderate. It is well worth the effort!

this was one fun/tough hike. the scramble is hard and long but 360 views most of the way up. definitely go counterclockwise and this is about a 4.5mi hike.

Gorgeous view and well marked trail. We made it in two hours and fifty minutes with couple short breaks. Saw some trees with yellowish hue in the valley. This gives the hint that revisiting the trail in fall will be better.

Couldn’t say enough about how enjoyable this hike was. The views were so rewarding, especially for only being a moderate hike, and you get them ascending and descending as much of the climb is on bald granite with open spaces. 4.4 miles, took us about 2 hours.

I'm in love love love with this trail. Just one of the best in the Whites. Definitely a moderate trail and definitely do not attempt when wet or shortly after. Hiking boots are a major plus. Prepare for bald faces and a few rock scrambles. If you have a fear of heights or open spaces, this might not be for you. If you see blue blazes on the Dickey decent, turn around and find the yellow blazes to your right, from this direction. Blue blazes take you 11 miles out of your way from the parking lot. We saw blue and I had read to stop and go back so I'm reposting for others. Needs new yellow blazes at this spot especially!

Really enjoyed this trail-views were incredible and and there was enough challenge and altitude gain without being too long. It is actually 4.4 Miles and took me 3 hours to complete.

Our friends bravely recommended this hike and we blindly accepted. Ha. Having been from Florida , and never hiking elevation it was a challenge for our 55 year old bodies. But I would definitely do it again as the views were spectacular. First time hiking bald granite. New Hampshire is a beautiful state!

Great trail but poorly marked! Definitely needs a touch up of yellow dots

Great views and enough climbing and bouldering of rocks to find challenging. Decently marked but there are spots where on the rock the markings are a bit faded

Excellent trail! The rocks were a bit wet after the rain, which made it a bit slippery but still incredible. Great views! 3 hours and 50 minutes roundtrip with two brief breaks.

Lots of great lookouts and views

Loved this trail!!! Easy to moderate hike with views around every corner! The first 1.0-1.2 in the woods is beautiful canopy with shards of light poking through all over. once you get out of the woods and start hitting the granite faces it seems like there is a vista every 200-300 yards. 4hours total loop with plenty of time for taking in the views and picking blueberrys...yummmmm!

So glad I changed this hike from Sunday to Saturday we ended up with perfect weather! A great hike for dogs and kids and anyone looking to get in shape for harder NH hikes. The rock scrambling on Welch were challenging at times but the views were amazing! I hiked this with YM - Boston AMC group we did this in under 4 hours with breaks and 20min break at the top. We packed lunches but decided to power through so we could eat at Bridge Covered Restaurant after so good!
Yes counterclockwise so Welch than Dickey the recommended route.

We just finished this somewhat challenging trail in 4 hours including several breaks for photos and stopping for lunch at the Welch Summit. We went counterclockwise as others have suggested. Good hiking shoes are a must. There are many challenging rock scrambles. There was one spot I slightly rolled my ankle and was so glad my hiking boot supported me and no sprain. The views are phenomenal and are well worth the climb. This is well traveled and there will be plenty of company if you want at the summits but it is not overly crowded. We hiked on a cloudless mid 70s day in July with a nice breeze. Pure heaven. Crashed for the night at the Sunny Grange B&B in Campton and made a weekend of it.

We had a great hike today with 12, 12, 6, 5, &3 year old. 3yr old was in a carrier. Everyone else walked themselves. It was our 5&6 yr olds first hike. We went counter clockwise as recommended. Great hike! Views are great.

Loved this! Went this weekend no bugs no wind perfect day!

What a spectacular hike. We went early summer, and there was still some snow up top which made it tough to come back down. Still great views for a good effort.

Gets pretty steep at some points but beautiful views, a great hike on the way up! However on the way down it gets a bit confusing, if you see a blue trail marking DO NOT TAKE IT! You will end up going through woods for miles and end up on a dirt road 11 Miles from the parking lot. Definitely stick to the yellow markings.

Love love love this trail. Trail head is easy to find and the loop is decently well marked (could use some new yellow paint on a few spots). As an athlete, and with lots of picture taking/water breaks, the whole loop took me exactly three hours. The first half is decently moderate and has strenuous stretches the closer to the peak you reach. The view is WELL worth the effort though. Such a fun and beautiful hike!

Had a great hike around the loop. The views are well worth the effort.

I did this trail back in April and it was one of my favorites, but I was super out of shape coming out of winter and it was surprisingly challenging. Granted, I didn't have the correct shoes on - don't bring tennis shoes!!

I recommend going counter clockwise on this trail... Not sure I would have been able to do it clockwise with how steep it gets at some points! Also, there were like 3 or 4 times I thought that the trail was finally descending and nearing the end, but it definitely wasn't.

But even with the trouble I had, it was worth it. The summits were breath taking. I will be back in the fall for the trees. :)

Always a beautiful climb with spectacular views. I've been climbing for almost 30yrs in NH and this is still one of my favorite loop trails.

Had a great time hiking here today with my family! We brought our 2,3,5, and 7 year olds with us. Our two year old was carried in a child carrier and the other children hiked. It was fun but challenging for them. This app says the hike is 3.9 miles however the loop trail is 4.4 miles. Beautiful views and worth checking out!

This was a great hike/run. There's a fantastic viewpoint about 1.3mi up the trail, which is safe yet challenging for young children. My 4 and 6 year old did this portion without any trouble. From there, the trail is much more demanding. Quite steep at points with giant granite slabs that you must scramble up. The way down after Dickey summit is fun and fast.

This was a fun hike that I did with my husband and 2 daughters age 12 & 16. It was very hot today so we took plenty of water and Gatorade with snacks. We found it a bit challenging at times, but with plenty of short rest breaks on the climb up we made it in good time. The view at the top was worth the effort. We liked that there were other people hiking but it wasn't crowded at all. We did the 4.5 mile loop in 3 hours 36 minutes with a 15 minute break at the top of Welch.