Welch and Dickey Loop Trail

Welch and Dickey Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thornton, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Intersection of SRs 175 & 49, NH: Travel east on SR 49 about 4.5 miles and turn left on Upper Mad River Road. Travel a short distance and turn right onto Orris Road. Follow Orris Road for .6 mile taking a right at the fork into a small parking lot. Trail begins there.

Love this hiking trail! One of my top choices!

Of the 4.7 miles probably 2.5 of it offers stunning vistas in every direction. Be careful with little kids. Some seriously precarious granite slabs, which are especially steep on the Welch trail. For the time and mileage, I can't think of a more rewarding hike for all ages.

Well cared for trail and easy to follow flash.
Beautiful views from the twin peaks.

hiked this loop Friday with daughter, granddaughter and grandson. Needed to take short breaks as it gets pretty intense close to summit. Worth every minute once you look out over mountains. I felt very small. Beautiful

Is this hike hard or easy? If you are comfortable with the Presidential Range, this is easy. If you work in an office five days a week, and are most comfortable with Mount Willard (great little hike), this will be hard. The ascent to Mount Welch gets technical, at several points it becomes too steep to stand, and you will be on your hands and knees crawling up a 45 degree angle rock face. If you want a little less adrenaline, you can take an easy 2 mile round trip hike to the first Welch overlook and back. Or, you could proceed clockwise to the summit of Mount Dickey, and then return, nothing technical with that.

I've hiked it a few times, once in snow shoes, the view is great

First time hiking this trail. Glad I had a hiking partner who had done this many times. Phenomenal views for a relatively short hike. Never hiked on so much granite slab before! Make sure you have boots with good traction, as the ascent is steep. As others have said, definitely go up Welch and down Dickey.

Great hike. Its short and and great views all along. Make sure to get a sunhat as its very exposed on the top. Do it counter-clockwise so that you dont go down the steep way. Its very steep to come down welch mtn compared to dickey. Definitely not a trail if its raining or when wet. the rocks are steep and can be dangerous if wet. If its a good day, its an amazing and fun trail.

One of my favorite hikes in NH!! Amazing views and great hike for anyone. Took us a little over and hour to get up to the first peak and had sunny open views all the way down. Definitely recommend!!

This was my first real hike and what a doozy it was. The views were amazing. I would say beyond amazing. You do have to be part mountain goat. Lol.

Hiked with a six and 2 ten year old kids. This is not a difficult trail but there are steep sections on flat granite I wouldn't recommend for beginners or really small children.

My children faired well (6 and 10) but the other 10 year who doesn't hike struggled a little more. I would highly recommend going up Welch first because the aforementioned steep sections are located on the ascent to Welch. These sections were much easier to go up as opposed to down. You'll encounter them after the first vista on a large granite ledge.

The views are really something. Welch has 180 of the Mad, and Pemi river valley's while Dickey gives you southern Whites heading towards the notch.

Not too hard with great overlooks. Set aside a few hours and check this trail out. Well worth your time.

Awesome trail. Very steep the initial 1/4, wear shoes with traction. Trail marks can be difficult to spot, keep your eyes peeled! Also, bring bug spray, a lot of bug spray.

Completed on 6-3-18 in about 2.75 hours. Fantastic views, especially on the descent. Lots of bare rock faces that give a clear view all around. Starting counter-clockwise throws you at some pretty steep bare-rock inclines on the way up, but it's probably easier to do than going down. Lost the trail a few times. I'm willing to admit that some of that is on me, but I do think the markings could be done better and more clearly in a few places. Get there before 9am or so to avoid any parking issues, and bring $5 for the self-serve parking pass station.

Very challenging at some points. I went with my 1 year old puppy and had to lift him at certain points over rocks. Took 2 hours and 40 minutes. Beautiful views throughout the whole trail. Worth getting up early before the parking lot fills up.

We underestimated this hike! When you reach the overlook and see the views it is rewarding but then you venture in thinking you are heading around and down. Nope - up and up and up with some very challenging steep inclines. When you reach the highest point the views are breathtaking- both because of the climb and the beauty.

It’s a beautiful hike but know that there are some really tough parts - it says kid and dog friendly but I would use caution when deciding to venture the full loop - stick to the overlook out and back if you have young kids or smaller less nimble dogs

I am sore ! LOL

Much tougher than I thought only because I kept thinking I was at the summit only to realize there was more mountain to climb. With that said it was still my favorite hike in NH ever. Views spectacular.

Come prepared with $5 for parking and some good snacks or a bagged lunch! My boyfriend and I are definitely beginners, and already have a tendency to mentally downplay hikes. We spent the long weekend in the White Mountains and a “moderate” hike out there is much different from ones around where we live. This was tough for us because we were unprepared. If you’re a newbie/out-of-shape, this hike is very tough but not impossible. Take many stops for snacks, pace yourself, bring plenty of water. The hardest part was thinking it was time to go down when we had to go up some more. I got low blood sugar at the top and that was pretty killer, but I had an apple and survived to the bottom. The views are so so so worth it though, just come prepared. We completed this in about 4 hours with lots of stops and complaining on the way, but we were fine after a shower and a meal with no residual soreness. I would do it again, he probably would not. 5 stars because the views are worth.

Great hike in the White Mountains! Took us about three hours, with frequent water and snack breaks. There was a fair amount of rock faces you had to walk on towards the top, but nothing too steep. Also a little bit of clambering required.

Hiked 5/25/18 clockwise n three hours flat with a few 15-min stops and a couple shorter ones too. Our 9-month-old lab/small mix puppy (38 lbs) was able to navigate this fine, but some smaller pups may need some assistance. The trail was in very good condition, especially for May - but with such large stretches of inclined rock, I would not attempt hiking this when wet. Incredibly rewarding views throughout!

this is an awesome hike with some challenges and some great views up top

Had a blast hiking this loop! Fantastic views for most of it. Took roughly 3 hours. It was tougher than expected, but definitely worth it.

I heard so much about this trail I'm glad I finally did it! Did it with my boyfriend in 2 hours. Went up Welch and down Dickey. A LOT of rock slabs that were very steep. No snow or mud though which was nice. Had amazing views the majority of the hike. Good warm up for those who do the bigger mountains in the summer like myself.

This trail is on the tougher side of moderate. Is is very steep at some areas going up Welch Mountain, but the rest is fairly easy. The views are great and definitely worth it

A lot of great views on the way up + on the way down. Would definitely do again!

Took just under 3 hours with 2 dogs and a 6 year old who loves hiking. Including multiple water stops and prolonged, breathtaking awe gazing. Fun, and challenging rocks (had to lift both small and large dog up in one section where there was no logical work around for them). Just fabulous.

Fantastic trail with breathtaking views! Challenging enough to be interesting without becoming overwhelming. Will definitely be back come autumn to see the foliage!

Definitely a challenging hike! I think it's only moderate and not hard because of the miles/altitude. It's very steep and a lot of flat rocks to climb. I would consider myself an advanced hiker and it would have been impossible if the rocks were wet. Gorgeous views!! Overall, loved this hike!

it's hiking, completed loop in 2.40hours

We hiked this trail in late April when there was still a fair amount of snow on the trail. This made the about 45-degree ledge scrambles a bit more exciting. The views are non-stop amazing.