Welch and Dickey Loop Trail

Welch and Dickey Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thornton, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Intersection of SRs 175 & 49, NH: Travel east on SR 49 about 4.5 miles and turn left on Upper Mad River Road. Travel a short distance and turn right onto Orris Road. Follow Orris Road for .6 mile taking a right at the fork into a small parking lot. Trail begins there.

58 minutes ago

This is the epitome of a New England hike! A decent amount of climbing up rock faces towards the top and spectacular views. Was more challenging than I expected which made it all the more rewarding in the end. definitely do again.

Awesome hike and great views

Very rewarding hike. Kids loved it, and the views are great.

A very rewarding hike with varied terrain and many scenic overlooks.

This is a fantastic height with incredible views on the top. My group went this past week and the weather was perfect, beautiful warm weather with a nice breeze. I haven't personally been hiking before but people in my group have. This is your typical white mountain hike. Views on top of Welch Mountain are better than Dickey in my opinion. There are lots of blueberry bushes on the top of Welch which are deliciously sweet. When you go to the summit of Dickey and look behind at the view of Welch, it is absolutely breathtaking. One small personal caveat however, I personally do NOT NOT NOT think this is a "moderate" hike, this is pretty difficult with lots of steep climbs.

Did this trail on 7/17/17. Never been to NH. Awesome views all throughout the hike. Best for views in comparison to our NYS hikes. I was a bit scared on some ledges as they were different to me. Make sure you turn around and look at the views after climbing the rock slides! Had a fellow hiker come back to us as they were unable to find the trail ahead on one scary ledge. We confirmed the path and carefully decended the ledge and mentally supported each other through the footing. I would love to do this hike again! It was awesome!

Been wanting to do this hike for a long time and glad we did it. It was a beautiful start up to Welch with a brook and soft trail then to the granite slabs. Gorgeous views from the Welch side and over to Dickey. It's a lot shorter distance between the two than it looks, but in the July heat/humidity you really have to find your motivation!! Dickey had large granite slabs and spectacular views over to Welch and the Whites. Helpful hints: bring hiking poles for help/stability on the granite. We hiked starting at 12:30p and would have started earlier knowing how warm it was (80-85 degrees and sunny). Also, the bathrooms at the trailhead were filled with flies, have a bathroom break at the Dunkins or gas stations a few miles down before starting!

Great views from many different lookout points. Steeper climbing at the top than anticipated with the moderate difficulty rating it had. Granite slopes with not much footing holds not good if slippery or wet. But still an awesome hike when your in good shape. Wish there had been more signage indicating summits, distances hiked, trail directions/names and elevations. Yellow trail markers weren't bad though. Would recommend.

Amazing views!!! I would rate it as "Hard" due to the steep climb.

The trail was filled with beautiful views. There were four main outlooks, one was up the steep rock you have to climb, we were told if you feel like your shoes are slipping don't try to climb it. (It wasn't as bad as we thought). Great trail for hikers just starting out to move on to the big mountains.

canoeing

Yes a great hike, see our stats, photos, and map here:

WARNING! Not child friendly! But none the less, this is one of the best hikes I've ever done!
We chose this hike due to the length and it being tagged as child friendly. We had our 1.5 year old with us and wore her in a front backpack the entire time. If she were a little older, 4 or 5, and we were unable to wear her then this hike would not have been suitable. There were areas where we were scaling up the rocks with her, something that we would not had been comfortable with if we did our research in advance. But we still had a lot of fun! - Fun is exactly how I would describe this hike! The terrain and elevation is constantly changing and the path leads you through several different nooks in crannies. And the views are absolutely stunning from the top of the two mountains. We're usually not ones to hike the same place twice, but we'll definitely be back here again!
But as for child friendliness, ehhh not so much. Maybe an older child if they're pretty resilient. The hike is just tough enough that I wouldn't even bring our 10 year old daughter without headphones to tune out her complaining.