Welch and Dickey Loop Trail

Welch and Dickey Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thornton, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Intersection of SRs 175 & 49, NH: Travel east on SR 49 about 4.5 miles and turn left on Upper Mad River Road. Travel a short distance and turn right onto Orris Road. Follow Orris Road for .6 mile taking a right at the fork into a small parking lot. Trail begins there.

This is easily my favorite trail in the Northeast! It's so incredibly beautiful, with plenty of bald faces and slabs to hike up, and forest around to look at. It's fairly strenuous and took us about ~3 hours to complete, round trip. The top is very nice for picnics!

Hiked on 02/01/18.
Hike only took around 3 hours stopping lots to take pictures and drink a cold one. Trail is packed down nicely which made it very easy to hike on. Temperature was cold but no wind and sunny skies which made for incredible views.
Highly recommend this hike it was tons of fun!

Hiked on 12/15/17. Weather was cold but little to no wind which made this an ideal winter hiking day.
Decided to go counter clock wise based off of other reviews. The ground surface had about 6-8 inches of snow in some areas, and others greater than a foot, and deep in some spots towards the tops of welch and dickey. We made the mistake of thinking the first false peak was the top of Welch only to realize it was indeed a false peak. It was certainly tough to get traction in some areas where there was nothing to grab onto. Microspikes came in the clutch on the ledges especially ascending towards the top Welch, and to Dickey as well. Top of Welch is beautiful, 360s views of the white mountains.

After Welch we realized there was a short descent to start the ascent on Dickey. Descending in the snow is super tricky as the snow covers up the rocks and roots which adds to complexity of a winter hike. The trail felt like a big zig zag to get to the top going through tight spaces through the big rocks and onwards to the top. The top of Dickey is timeless. Pushing close to 3,000 feet. After Dickey on the descent there is one of of the ledge where you are literally about 15 feet away from a big cliff area, made the hike a little bit more exciting to say the least. The descent felt long, and was tough due to the snow covering up the technical parts of the trail.

Given the conditions of the trail I would only recommend to people who are prepared and are experienced. Snow is tricky to hike in.

I am looking forward to hiking this one again in the spring. Five Stars. Live Free or Die!

Total Time took us 5 hours and 17 minutes to complete the loop at 4.95 miles.

Snowy day good winter conditions. Trail conditions good with broken trail. Icy ledges towards the summits.

Light traction fine.

Great hike with some great views. Trail was in great shape wit a little bit of scrambling and slick rock. Great trees colors with many photo ops.

Great hike for the day after Thanksgiving. It has a variety of muscle groups used if you do the whole loop. We climbed up the Welch side and came down Dickey. Micro spikes were a must once we hit the ledge area. Very icy in a lot of spots and had to bush wack around those area but it was an enjoyable hike none the less. I would not recommend it for beginners in its current condition today. I have a few pics, If I can post them I will. Great views and as long as use come prepared, I think you would like it too.

This is definitely a difficult trail. A mile of ledge!
Do Not attempt in bad weather, rain, or ice. This is definitely a beautiful Hike filled with wonder and beauty one sight after another!!

Great views. Did this with my 9 year old, 11 year old, and two dogs. Challenging enough, for all of us; but would definitely not want to do it if there was ice on the rock slabs (there are several). Would highly recommend for families who are want approximately 4 hours outdoors.

Great views, open slabs of rock, not too hard, not too easy, this trail is a favorite for many. I would definitely do this trail again but not on a weekend. It gets very crowded on the weekend.

This is one of my all time favorite trails! I am not gonna lie, you earn every view but the effort is well worth it. Going counter clockwise is the way to go. Can be treacherous in wet or icy conditions because of all the bald faces, rock scrambles are many but the pine groves are awesome. Do this trail, it is awesome!

If you’re an experienced hiker, this is an amazing loop. There are incredible views with great climbing opportunities and interesting geological features. It’s advertised by All Trails and by many locals as moderate but only the first section to the Welch peak is that. After that, it gets difficult! There are lots of steep inclines and descents. If you have less experienced hikers with you, consider calling it quits after the Welch overlook.

Nice short, scenic loop. Easy day trip from Boston area. Trail (up Welch) climbs at steady moderate pace for 1.4 miles to first of a series of granite slabs and ledges. Above, things get steeper, with a few easy scrambles. Peak to peak and much of the descent provide great views from open ledges and ridges. Fairly crowded on a beautiful Fall Wednesday.

Love great hike... what away to just get away...

Gorgeous vistas. Stunning foliage. Great weather certainly helped. Really nice hike. Get there early.

Hiked on a beautiful fall day. The views have got to be among the best in NH. Definitely a moderate hike - some easy parts and some hard parts, so moderate is the average. So many spots to stop and enjoy the views.

Was beautiful for fall foliage but the leaves seem to be falling fast! The hike up can get strenuous but levels our right when u need it to. It was beautiful. Wear grippy shoes!

Great views of Fall foilage. Good hike with a couple challenging parts. Top granite slabs would be interesting if fog at top.

I did this hike on 10/10/2017. The moderate rating is definitely relative. I have done a lot of hiking but this was my first in New Hampshire. I would rate it as hard relative to my experience, based on the exposures and scrambling. There were a few spots where I was apprehensive about continuing but I felt very accomplished when I finished the hike. I am now motivated to improve my scrambling ability so I can do more awesome hikes like this. The views were amazing with the fall colors.

What AMAZING foliage views today, this trail is a definate top pick!! Not too challenging for a routine hiker, but the new hiker I brought with me was a little freaked out about all the ledge climbing and there is some definate rock scrambling. But that's what made for such great views, spectacular!!

This hike is going in as a must repeat. The hike over both summits was easy. That said, I would not even entertain the idea in any wet weather. There is so much ledge to cross and I just wouldn't attempt in the rain/snow. But we had a beautiful almost cloudless day. We started up the much advised trail to Welch mountain first (counterclockwise) and had a lot of company, but it was great getting to exchange mountain ranges that we have never tried we fellow hikers. The hike was very easy going - only moderate in a few sections. The views on Welch were just stunning. Lots of room on top to walk around and see 360 mountain peaks. The short walk over to Dickey was uneventful. Good views on top as well. This hike really should be on every hikers list. For the effort the views could not be beat.