Learn more

Wapack Trail is a 21 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near New Ipswich, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 21.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,573 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Camping is permitted at only two primitive shelters at the Windblown Cross-Country Ski Area.

fee

Did North to South. Took us a day and a half to complete though definitely doable in one day with appropriate planning. The North section has gorgeous views, which also means more people. Very clearly marked the whole way. Beautiful!

Awesome early season warmup! If you plan to overnight, hike North to south. The designated hut and camping areas provided amazing nightly views these areas are roughly between mile 13-14. Hike out was beautiful, coming down watatic is the longest mile but overall a great hike, plenty of water and lots of signage!

Tough but fun!

I did the full trail with my brother and a couple of our friends over the weekend of 9/21, north terminus in Greenfield to south terminus in Ashburnham. We camped at Windblown XC Ski area Saturday night. Overall, there are some really beautiful sections of trail, particularly along the ridges between Temple Mountain and Burton Peak on the northern half, and again between Barrett Mt and Pratt Mt on the southern half. The views from North Pack, Pack Monadnock, and Watatic are also great, though they don't quite rival Mt Monadnock. There are also some less-fun sections of trail that would make it hard for me to recommend this route as an end-to-end hike. The ascent up the Temple Mt access road isn't much fun, nor are the flat logging road sections of the southern portion, between the base of Temple Mt and Barrett, then from Binney Pond to the base of Watatic. The descent down Watatic was frustrating from a trail maintenance perspective - it's a very popular hike, and it is in desperate need of some TLC. There are several sections where the trail appears to be 40+ feet wide and heavily eroded from foot traffic, which can make it difficult to tell where the trail goes, other than just "downhill". For others who are considering doing the whole trail over two days: we stayed overnight at a shelter in Windblown, which is the only place that camping is allowed along the trail (reservation required). The shelter itself was great - a spacious, clean and dry lean-to, with a picnic table, a porch, and a fire ring (& wood!), plus an attached outhouse. Because it was September, the metal roof was bombarded by acorns from the trees above all night, which woke us up at pretty regular 30-minute intervals. I would definitely suggest earplugs to anyone using the shelters overnight in the fall. I would also let potential overnight hikers know that water is scarce along the trail - every stream bed we came across was dry on this particular weekend - the only dependable water source was Binney Pond and/or the nearby spring, which is nowhere near the midpoint (about 18 miles in from the north end). Thankfully, Windblown had water available for overnighters (the trek from the shelters to the water source is about a half mile each way - we did it at night for cooking / cleaning water, and again the following morning). All in all we had a great weekend, but I think my future ambitions for the Wapack will be limited to day trips along the more fun sections.

I did this trail from the southernmost trailhead on Rindge State Road to Miller State Park. Lots of nice views. Some tricky footing here and there, and some steep root-covered places, but generally decent footing. Looks like a new subdivision going up about 2 miles north of the Windblown ski area. Will be interesting to see how that will affect trail.

still pretty muddy....but great trail.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Went out for a 20 mile run and if your hoping to run, guess again. This trail is treacherous. The ascents and decent are steep, there are rocks and roots everywhere, and to top it off the ground was frozen and parts of the trail were more like a bobsled course than a trail. Though it was hard it was a great trail. I wouldn’t recommend it for running but it is certainly a wonderful hike. The trail is marked very well and you can tell that it is well taken care of. Fun day overall. Happy running, Ultra Ryan

Wed Oct 17 2018

Awesome day! We did the whole trail 21.5 miles for the trail, but clocked 23 for the day. Took 13 hours (11 hrs of moving time). Tough day, but saw sun rise and sun set from the first and last peak.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Nice Labor Day hike up Pack Mondadnock on Wapack Trail then down Marion Davis Trail back to parking lot. Refueled then took on section of Wapack across the road. Little did I know I was hiking just above one of the very first downhill ski areas in the USA. There is a monument to Charlie Beebe and his Temple Mtn Ski area up at the top. Cool cairn's and schist seats in camp area along trail to Holt Peak. Tried to come back via alternate Wapack trail which was seriously overgrown, not an option. Will be back to take in the entire Temple Mountain range and Burton Peak (and have a closer look at the ski slopes!). Good stuff!

Mon Jun 25 2018

Sat Jun 23 2018

Super fun hike! Great views and a good workout. We did it with our dogs and we all had an awesome time.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Nice conditioning trail. I like doing the summit trail up, cliff trail down. Be wary of the VERY tall trail marker, it does lead you off trail and you'll have to backtrack to get back on it.

Tue Jun 12 2018

This was longer than I thought it would be. Alltrails shows it's 9.1 miles, but my Garmin watch showed that I traveled 10.9 miles, and the official park map shows it should be 10.4 miles. For a beginner hiker like me, this was pretty challenging in both length and elevation gain. I didn't encounter too many people on the trail, which was nice. I wish there had been more views though.

Fri Dec 08 2017

Description for this trail is accurate. Various areas of large rock scrambles bolder hopping. A few good views. Overall good hike.

Mon Nov 27 2017

Sat Nov 25 2017

This was an excellent hike. Trails well marked and maintained. I started at Miller and went to North Pack, looped around from summit on Cliff Trail (true to name, steep descent), and on return took the alternate trail back, so the only repeated part was the center Wapack section (which is really nice). Great alternative to Mount Monadnock if you're looking for a fun challenging hike with great views. Cool pine forests.

Sun Nov 05 2017

Pretty amazing hike. Did it solo

Sat Nov 04 2017

Not as majestic as Mount Monadnock but you get very good views of Mount Monadnock. The Southern end Miller state park can get very crowded. The northern end has plenty of blueberries during the late summer.

Mon Jun 05 2017

Did this trail on 6-3-17 with my wife, it was a good workout. Views were awesome!

Sun Jun 04 2017

quite the work out!

Tue Apr 25 2017

I thought it was fun! it wasn't too crazy crowded either, but there's like these 3 rock ledges of doom to climb up, still loved it though!

Sun Oct 09 2016

Great hike but it's not easy, it took us (1 adult and 1 child) about an hour to get to the top. He wanted frequent breaks but the views are worth it.

Sun Jun 19 2016

Great hike. Relatively quick but steep overall. Great views of all of southern New Hampshire, and the White Mountains further north in New Hampshire and the Green Mountains of Vermont on a clear day.

Thu Dec 24 2015

Once you get past the running water and mud, it's a wonderful hike.

Sun Jul 12 2015

Awesome better to take trail than road