Walter/Newton Natural Area Trail

Walter/Newton Natural Area Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Plymouth, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

nice beginner's trail, or if you're looking for a quick leisurely walk in the woods. Follows a narrow river all the way to the falls, the kids enjoyed exploring the base of the falls and the view from the top. Took an hour all in and all, but most of that was spent exploring around the falls. would only take about 40 minutes return. beautiful place.

Great nice loop! Took me an hour to do the loop, but stopped a couple times at the scenic outlook and of course the waterfall. The picture doesn't do it justice. Very pretty. Have nice benches there to if you wanted to sit and relax.

Was a nice easy trek. It was very beautiful.

Did the hike out to the waterfall on a pleasant March day, just had 12” of snow a couple days before and there was already a nice packed trail from snowshoers. There are benches along the way to sit, relax and take in the beauty and watch for moose and other wildlife. I was pleasantly surprised by Rainbow Falls, it looks great in the winter, can’t wait to see it in the other seasons as we moved just a mile from there and it’s basically in our backyard. Would highly recommend.

Great hike with kids, very quiet and piecful.

Super peaceful and quiet spot. Rainbow Falls is a beautiful spot about half way through the loop.

Great short trail! So serene and peaceful. The mosquitoes were relentless though.

So worth it! lovely hike with an amazing waterfall as your prize.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Very nice nature walk! Offered many different length/distance options. Only issue was the white trail markers were faded, even worse on the way back, lost the trail for a few minutes.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Great for kids! The waterfall is very nice.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Perfect family hike and the Rainbow falls were spectacular. A bit more challenging than expected with all the snow, but totally doable. Boots are a must!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

If you're looking for an easy out and back, definitely take the Walter trail. The Newton trail was a bit more hilly, and the area is still pretty snowy, so it was a little challenging in places. In summer, both trails would definitely be easy. The falls were beautiful and well worth the hike.

Friday, October 28, 2016

The Walter trail was easy. The Newton trail a bit harder but still easy. Not too much water over the falls when we were there but still pretty.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Perfect for young kids. The falls make it exciting, even after a drought.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Great experience. Kids loved it.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Easy trail which was good for my 6 and 3 year olds. Nicely covered from the sun. Bugs were bad so bring repellent. Water was super low and waterfall is lack luster. That being said the area is beautiful and it's fun being surrounded by trees.

Friday, July 08, 2016

My son loved it and is looking forward to doing it again. My joint pain made the .9 trail from parking lot difficult. It was more up and down than I liked. Next time, I will probably do the .6 trail both ways. Loved being out in the woods. It's been years since I've done it and I miss it.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Nice short look. Trails are in good condition. There were a few fairly steep sections so I would not describe this as "easy." The falls are beautiful!

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Very easy walk. Trail loops back to parking area. No views but very nice secluded waterfall. Trails are well marked. Easy hike in with your dog(s). Waterfall was pretty even with lack of water. Def a good half hour get away.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Very pleasant and easy loop up to a lovely and significant (in height, if not volume) waterfall. All in the woods, with no distant views, but the close up sights of the brook and marshes and waterfall are rewarding.

An excellent short walk for families with young kids, or anyone in the mood for a non-strenuous walk/hike.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The day started out with sleet and my 14 year old daughter was stiff and sore from her crosscountry ski training from two days before. We coaxed her to take a walk to stretch out her muscles. So, five minutes from our house, we decided on a short walk to Walter-Newton. There was a bit of snow/sleet cover that was turning to slush. We realized we'd never hiked there when the trail wasn't covered with snow and the waterfall wasn't partially frozen.

The hike was wet and muddy most of the way, although there are rocks and boards in places on which to walk. My feet stayed dry with my new waterproof hiking boots and my husband wore his sorrels. My daughter's feet in her low cross-trainers got wet. The waterfall was beautiful because there was snow dusting all the horizontal cracks and ledges making the falls look very layered.

We also discovered a new Texas Hill ski trail sign at the falls. Logs had been cut at the beginning of the trail. After our hike, we drove up the road farther until we came to a parking area with the same new sign. No distances were posted on either sign, nor was there any information about this new ski trail on the kiosk at the beginning of the Walter Newton trail.

Although there were three cars parked at the entrance of the Walter-Newton Trail, we only saw one party at the very beginning- a woman and two small kids. The other folks must have taken the trail on the other side of the creek. This alternate route is nice, because it means you can make a loop without tracing your steps. We went up and back the same way this time.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017