Walter/Newton Natural Area Trail

Walter/Newton Natural Area Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Plymouth, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November.

Very nice nature walk! Offered many different length/distance options. Only issue was the white trail markers were faded, even worse on the way back, lost the trail for a few minutes.

Great for kids! The waterfall is very nice.

Perfect family hike and the Rainbow falls were spectacular. A bit more challenging than expected with all the snow, but totally doable. Boots are a must!

If you're looking for an easy out and back, definitely take the Walter trail. The Newton trail was a bit more hilly, and the area is still pretty snowy, so it was a little challenging in places. In summer, both trails would definitely be easy. The falls were beautiful and well worth the hike.

The Walter trail was easy. The Newton trail a bit harder but still easy. Not too much water over the falls when we were there but still pretty.

Perfect for young kids. The falls make it exciting, even after a drought.

Great experience. Kids loved it.

Easy trail which was good for my 6 and 3 year olds. Nicely covered from the sun. Bugs were bad so bring repellent. Water was super low and waterfall is lack luster. That being said the area is beautiful and it's fun being surrounded by trees.

My son loved it and is looking forward to doing it again. My joint pain made the .9 trail from parking lot difficult. It was more up and down than I liked. Next time, I will probably do the .6 trail both ways. Loved being out in the woods. It's been years since I've done it and I miss it.

Nice short look. Trails are in good condition. There were a few fairly steep sections so I would not describe this as "easy." The falls are beautiful!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Monday, December 02, 2013

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Very easy walk. Trail loops back to parking area. No views but very nice secluded waterfall. Trails are well marked. Easy hike in with your dog(s). Waterfall was pretty even with lack of water. Def a good half hour get away.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Very pleasant and easy loop up to a lovely and significant (in height, if not volume) waterfall. All in the woods, with no distant views, but the close up sights of the brook and marshes and waterfall are rewarding.

An excellent short walk for families with young kids, or anyone in the mood for a non-strenuous walk/hike.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The day started out with sleet and my 14 year old daughter was stiff and sore from her crosscountry ski training from two days before. We coaxed her to take a walk to stretch out her muscles. So, five minutes from our house, we decided on a short walk to Walter-Newton. There was a bit of snow/sleet cover that was turning to slush. We realized we'd never hiked there when the trail wasn't covered with snow and the waterfall wasn't partially frozen.

The hike was wet and muddy most of the way, although there are rocks and boards in places on which to walk. My feet stayed dry with my new waterproof hiking boots and my husband wore his sorrels. My daughter's feet in her low cross-trainers got wet. The waterfall was beautiful because there was snow dusting all the horizontal cracks and ledges making the falls look very layered.

We also discovered a new Texas Hill ski trail sign at the falls. Logs had been cut at the beginning of the trail. After our hike, we drove up the road farther until we came to a parking area with the same new sign. No distances were posted on either sign, nor was there any information about this new ski trail on the kiosk at the beginning of the Walter Newton trail.

Although there were three cars parked at the entrance of the Walter-Newton Trail, we only saw one party at the very beginning- a woman and two small kids. The other folks must have taken the trail on the other side of the creek. This alternate route is nice, because it means you can make a loop without tracing your steps. We went up and back the same way this time.