Valley Way Trail

Valley Way Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Berlin, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Great way to to the Presidential Range. I've hiked this trail several times and it's a great workout!

Great trail maintenance throughout, and gets significantly easier sooner on the way down.

Overall it's a boring trail. Only spots for views are toward the very end and you're just going straight up the mountain the whole way. There aren't any unique or challenging obstacles, but there's an awesome swimming hole 20-30 minutes in from the parking lot.

Hiked this with my 12 year old. To be honest I was shocked we made it. We were up for the challenge but the rocks and roots were difficult to navigate in some areas due to the recent rainfall the night before. Some spots were very slick and as the day went on the mud really started to show itself in spots. Took us 3:21 to the hut. 2:20 down and I did not have my app on from hut to summit but I would say 35 -40 to summit with stops along the way for pictures.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A hefty climb. There are spots along the trail with some beautiful views across the valley but the climb is a grind to tree line.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Friday, August 19, 2016

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Relatively steep and boring uphill climb because there are not a lot of views until you reach Madison Spring Hut. Also, it was very humid so the trees blocked any breeze coming through.

Monday, June 16, 2014

I personally did not enjoy this trail; I used it to descend from Mount Madison on my first trip to the AMC hut there. The long section of small gravel boulders was grueling after a ten mile ascent of Adams and loop of Star Lake. Maybe climbing Madison first on this route would be better the next time around.

Monday, October 07, 2013

Hiked the Valley Way trail last Saturday (10.5.2013). The weather was unseasonably warm and balmy, allowing me to hike most of the trail in shorts and a t-shirt. Overcast for much of the day, though never rained. Cooler at the summit, but not by much. Sadly, the peak was submerged in cloud and all that could be seen was the pulsing grey iridescence of the sun behind thick cloud. In regards to the state of the trail, it was well kept and only proved hairy where wet fallen leaves and slippery rocks were concerned. The trail rises fairly consistently from the base, but never steeply. The rock scramble to the summit was slightly confusing. While there is a trail, it occasionally gets lost among the rocks and your own sense of direction. It’s best to keep your head up and follow the cairns as best you can. The foliage was still going strong, lots of bold orange, yellow, and lime green, though with should be on its way out soon enough. Over all a pleasant experience, just remember to be over prepared when hiking in this region of New Hampshire.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fun hike going up Mt Madison! Two stream crossings which were beautiful. This trail brings you to the AMC hut between the Madison and Adams summits. I recommend to check out the moon rock and star lake when you're up there. We only summited Mt Madison due to time, but gorgeous views of the presidential range from the summit. Could see Washing and Adams easily and a little bit of Munroe when we were up there!