UNH Trail to Hedgehog Mountain

UNH Trail to Hedgehog Mountain is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A nice day hike, manageable stretch for those of us in the group who are less experienced hikers. The views from the ledges were great. The trail wasn't too busy; we saw just enough people to know we weren't alone out there.

We ended up parking at the Olivarian lot, and only realized once we got to the signposts on the way to the trail that the Downes lot would have been closer. The XC trails to get from that lot to the trail are well marked, though, so we didn't have a lot of issues finding it, except for finding the continuation of the trails through the open meadow area near the beginning (it goes through the meadow sort of right of center from where you enter the meadow, through a lot of low blueberry bushes).

Great short hike with fantastic views.

Great views and not too challenging

We hiked this trail in 90 degree weather so we took our time which start to finish with 15 minutes at summit was exactly 5 hours. The clockwise loop was a gradual ascent and we took in a nice breeze on the ledges. The views were spectacular. The downed trees as reported last month have now been cleared. Bugs didn’t bother us until we were on our way back and about a mile to the trailhead.

First time here absolutely loved it. Trail starts out very easy then has a few obstacles here and there. some markings were harder to find than others but GPS got me back where I needed to be. definitely recommend as a hike to clear your head.

First, don’t turn where this tells you to for directions. Go almost a mile past (or before) till you see a sign for Downes Brook Trail Head - turn there. Second, lots of trees down so watch for blazes very carefully. Make sure you have a GPS map. We barely got off trail due to trees and couldn’t see any blazes. Luckily we were able to use our GPS to find our way back. You can tell they have cleared many trees already but winter really did a number!
It took us 2 hours and we are beginner hikers with a dog. Our shepherd struggled in some spots to make a jump or climb over trees. Terrain is lots of roots and large rock face.
Beautiful views! Lots of little spots to break off a few feet and see the views.

Definitely do this trail counter-clockwise. Right now there are a lot of trees down from the winter storms. Some trees have the blazes on them and others have fallen directly on the path. When you come to the fork at the base of the loop, go right.

The hike itself was beautiful. It took us 5 hours (we’re on the slower side of things) and offered many great views along the way!

Lovely snowshoe hike. Can't beat the solitude and winter beauty. Did not see anyone on the entire loop, just saw a few people on the stick of the lollipop near the trailhead. Dog loved it too! There are numerous vantage points for good views in different directions, including Allens Ledge just a short ways off the trail, but no 360-degree views.

Pretty great views!

Hiked this trail today, wild weather 48 degrees. sun, rain ,snow & sleet .Even saw a rainbow on the way down. Lots of trees down due to wind storm this month. Great views from many ledges. Quite I was the only person on the trail. Will do this one again with my daughters... IN THE SPRING.

Rooty

Hike was great but it took three tries to find the trail we wanted. Hedgehog was not listed anywhere. We had to ask other people who were more familiar with the area.

Great loop trail that takes you to up to a wide open, vast view! Extremely rewarding hike!

Great hike on a nice day.. we took the whole loop. Directions are not always clear but once started this is a great trail. Views on top are beautiful but we did the boulder trail the day before and I personaly found these views more beautiful as UNH.

Decent hike with young kids. A few parts where they needed to slide down the rocks on their bottoms, but overall a fun hike. Went on a rainy/cloudy day, so the view wasn't great, but the colors were gorgeous!

We went as far as Allen's Ledges. It was wet and rainy but we enjoyed this hike thoroughly. It was fairly easy but because it was wet we took our time. Wish it was marked better however. Will definitely go again all the way to the top. Posted a lot of pics of the trial on my recording so that you can get a good idea of what it looks like up to Allen's Ledges

Conditions were good. Could be marked a bit better in some areas.

This was a challenging trail at times. It became more difficult the higher you climbed. You have to be careful with all the tree roots as your feet can easily get caught up in them. Near the top the tree markers we're difficult to follow. The views are well worth the challenge. The trail took us 3hrs with a couple of rest beaks. my Fitbit said it was about 5.5 miles from where you park to complete.

Good trail, well maintained, took 3 hrs to complete

Nice hike. Went east to ledges then to summit which in the end, I really liked that route. I hike with my dog (5yr pitbull) and we went non stop to ledges. Def liked spending some time enjoying the view from the ledges and getting a little rest. Decent view from peak but limited.. tho wouldnt stop me from doing it again. Ledges have the best views and trail was a good workout. Easy enough for white mts but not a trail to do if your not in shape.

Trail may say moderate but I would say it is a easy beginner trail. Sights are great especially in the fall! Great ledges around the mountain since they enable you to get a complete 360 of the surrounding area

This nice little loop is one of my favorite go-to's. Easy to get to, i.e., not too far north, and pretty stellar views for a easy/moderate effort. Love it!

Nice hike. Some good views of Chocorua and into the pemi.

Definitely longer than the description. Needed to take other shorter trails to get to the trail head. Great hike.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

It was a good trail. Not suitable for young kids because you really had to pay attention in spots. A challenging moderate for sure. Definitely enjoyed it.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

GO EAST.. This was an easy hike if you go East. If you go in the other direction it earns its moderate rating. I really enjoyed the ledge the best, more so than the summit. This was an enjoyable hike but in comparison to Indian Head Trail and Mt Potash.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Not what my wife and I expected and we are experienced hikers! There was as much climbing as hiking and as older citizens we were challenged by the trail, especially toward the top, both up and down! Glad we survived the full experience. THIS trail took much longer than expected ann was strenuous! Everyone me met on the trail shared their experience that it was difficult and more strenuous​ than expected!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Really good hike especially with a dog.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

No traffic on the mountain, was a good hike for a moderate physical challenge. Part of the loop was decommissioned but another path was provided for smooth travel. Was disappointed that the peak of the hike was not labeled, and trees were on the top of the mountain. There were ledges near the top of the mountain that provided a great unobstructed view of the neighboring mountains.