Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington

Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,169 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rock climbing

skiing

Mount Washington is the highest point in New England and the highest peak in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Often called the most dangerous small mountain in the world, Mount Washington is recommended for experienced hikers and climbers who can handle significant elevation gain. Tuckerman's Ravine Trail from Pinkham Notch is the most popular route to the summit. It is important to properly research this trail and bring proper gear as conditions can quickly turn dangerous as a result of bad weather in the form of severe storms, snow and wind. It is recommended that hikers contact the Mount Washington Observatory forecast (mountwashington.org/weather) and the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center prior to their trip. Those who hike the Tuckerman Ravine Trail will pass the Hermit Lake Shelters with great views of the ravine and a waterfall. Visitors can also reach the top via the Mount Washington Auto Road and the Cog Railway.

Made to summit and back 11/9 and it was extremely cold & windy. Don’t recommend this hike for anyone without snow gear, crampons or at least micro spikes. Lots of ice Lion Head to Summit, knee deep snow etc. Summit was Planet Hoth and there is no shelter this time of year. Great experience for us, but some college kids were attempting in jeans and sneakers which was borderline suicidal. Bring proper gear for the worst possible weather!

icy

Amazing hike. Went up on 11/10/19 and experienced a winterized climate. The hike is brutal... especially after Lions Head. Winter gear definitely recommended with wind chill is the single digits and winds ramping up at any point. Must be in pretty good shape to complete this hike and make sure to check the weather forecast before attempting.

Trail was a little icy, patches to be exact. My husband and I were micro spikes,but we seen people make it up without. They just went around the ice. Was snowing on the too when we got there. Def recommend bringing winter gear , we seen some idiots climbing up there in leggings and tennis shoes. Happy Trails all stay safe

If I had to do this trail again, I’d go down the Cog Rail! Going up was challenging but amazing. Definitely doable if you’re in good shape. So gorgeous. Went down Lion Head (IMO Tuckerman was a bit more scenic) - the last 2 miles down got tedious. Extremely windy for the last mile up, which was disorienting. My gps clocked it at closer to 8.5 miles round trip. This app says trail is dog friendly but I would strongly advise against it.

Hiked up Lion Head trail then crossed over to Tuckerman Ravine trail using Alpine Garden trail and returned back down as I was running out of daylight (and energy). Encountered plenty of ice and light snow at the upper elevations in the shaded areas which was rather treacherous since I had ordinary hiking boots so beware of this.

Physically demanding. Took about 3 1/2 hours to climb to the top. Views were indescribable. Would do it again in a heartbeat

Very challenging. Recommend to carry enough water/energy drinks. View from the top is breathtakingly beautiful. Must do.

Hardest trail I’ve ever done. Took me around 6 hours to get to the summit (due to minor injury delaying). Beginning of trail is decent and smooth. Second half is pure rocks and height. Need good leg strength to maneuver. The last bit to the summit/scramble really puts you to the test. All in all, it’s worth it once you get to the top and seeing all the beauty in the ravine.

First off the people I met on the trail were just as nice as the hike itself!(with the exception of the tourist top). I was impressed by the views and loved the scrambling above the treeline although coming down I rolled my ankle hard on a sneaky root where roots should not be. Bring and use poles on the way down is my tip other than that enjoy a well balanced hike in the Whites!

The trail is iconic for a reason. It is challenging and the views are breathtaking. We went up Tuckerman ravine and came down the Nelson Craig Trail for a total of 9.8 miles. My advice is to be experienced or be in shape and with someone that is experienced, stay well hydrated and pack for emergencies as the weather changes quickly.

About as good as it gets in the white mountains. Get there early or expect a crowd. We started at 5:40am and headed off with headlamps. The first 2.4 miles of trail are wide and easy. At Hermit lake shelter the pitch goes up a bit as you make your way up the ravine. The trail is on the somewhat steeper side of things but never technical in any way. Once you crest the head wall the views are amazing as expected on the Presidential range. It was beautiful to watch the sun coming up across the Wildcat peaks. The summit is a mile or so of rocky white mountain goodness. a

The trail was very rugged and involved quite a bit of scrambling. I wore hiking shoe ,but would recommend rock climbing approach shoes for better grip on the rocks . We loved the trail and look to do it again . It took us about 4 1/2 hrs but that was with many stops for photo shots. . We didn’t mind the rest during the picture taking either . Bring about 2 liters of water and some extra layers of clothing. The temperature can be much colder up top

Woke up at 4am on my day off to drive 4 hours to climb Mt. Washington. Did the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the top. Gradual climb at the visitor center at the bottom. Took me about 3 hours to complete, absolutely doable trail with about half a mile or so of scrambling from the peak. Gradient is not too hard from the bottom to the top. The terrain is also extremely consistent until the scramble. Once you get to the side of the mountain and are near the waterfalls, that's where the scramble will start. Was a long day for me but it was entirely worth it and I wouldn't change it for anything. Highly recommend doing this trail.

I hiked this trail in early July, it was a very nice hike. The trail did get a little crowded and the summit was packed due to the road and the train to the summit.

Had an amazing hike up tuckermen’s ravine was very hard and you should only do it if you are in very good shape. When we did it it took over 8 hours of climbing but it was worth it. Also this was our first big mountain we have ever climbed. I would recommend this trail to experienced hikers And we saw many dogs