Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington

Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,169 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

skiing

As of 5/28/19, hikers report that the Lion Head Trail is closed. Plan on coming in and out the same way. Trekking poles and spikes are recommended. Please note there may be a detour early into the trail. It is reported very easy to travel and get back onto the main trail. Mount Washington is the highest point in New England and the highest peak in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Often called the most dangerous small mountain in the world, Mount Washington is recommended for experienced hikers and climbers who can handle significant elevation gain. Tuckerman's Ravine Trail from Pinkham Notch is the most popular route to the summit. It is important to properly research this trail and bring proper gear as conditions can quickly turn dangerous as a result of bad weather in the form of severe storms, snow and wind. It is recommended that hikers contact the Mount Washington Observatory forecast (mountwashington.org/weather) and the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center prior to their trip. Those who hike the Tuckerman Ravine Trail will pass the Hermit Lake Shelters with great views of the ravine and a waterfall. Visitors can also reach the top via the Mount Washington Auto Road and the Cog Railway.

By far my favorite hike I’ve ever done. I’ve hiked 7+ summits in the Olympic National Park, and numerous hikes throughout New England. Mt. Washington in my opinion provides you with the best view in the North East. I managed to climb to the summit in just three hours. The first half of the hike was very foggy, and muddy. Once I broke through the tree line things cleared up almost immediately, providing me with a stellar view at the summit. Everyone along the trail was friendly, and open to conversation. The way back down from the summit took about 2.5 hours, with no breaks. Most of the mid was dried up, and all the fog dissipated. The trail was rocky the entire time, so make sure you have good hiking boots/shoes and watch your step! Some minor scrambling on the Lion Head trail, but all the hard work was worth it. I highly recommend this hike to everyone during the summer time. Have fun!

Great experience! Definitely do it again

AMAZING. Easily the best hike I’ve done. FYI Tuckerman’s is back open! I hiked Tuckerman to Lion’s Head going up, took about 2 H 45 M but then hiked Tuckerman’s the whole way down. Altogether I left the parking lot at 0600 and was back at my car at 1130. Absolutely gorgeous day, very challenging hike but 100% worth it. Bring lots of water for sure.

closed

First time doing Mt. Washington! We did Tuckerman’s Ravine trail and switched over to Lions Head because the trail was closed up top. Took us about 4.5 hours and I would definitely say it was challenging!! Especially the last 1.5 mile CLIMB! We had unbelievable weather - sunny and about 60-70 degrees the whole time! 70 mile visibility. Bring 2-3 L of water per person. SO REWARDING! Hike of a lifetime!

I agree with Danielle! Was planning on doing tuckerman straight to summit, but top 1/2 closed due to snow and ice! Actually saw some people skiing! Took lions head to summit-very challenging! Hiked with my 2 teenagers, one with ASD. My older son left us early on and got to summit in about 4.5 hours. My other son and I took about 6 hours to reach summit. Long hike but totally worth it-the views are amazing and the sense of accomplishment can’t be beat! We were able to get on a van to take us back down. Many others weren’t so lucky. We saw a lot of people hiking down the auto road!! Weather today was clear and hot. Even at summit we didn’t need sweatshirts for a while! Bring sunscreen-you are above tree line in direct sun for more than 1/2 hike. Van driver said weather today very unusual. Highly recommend this hike!

closed

Part of Tuckerman is closed, have to take Lions Head, which is very challenging. The trail is very challenging. It is rocky and not really a hike, you have to climb!! I recommend bringing bug spray, lots of black flies and mosquitos on the first half. Bring lots of water and better to leave early in the morning. There are shuttles to bring you back down if necessary, but only if there is availability. The challenge is worth it and the views are amazing.

We took tuckermans to lions head to the top of Mt Washington. There are some tricky rock scrambles but such a fun hike. Bring sunblock, you'll need it!! It's a little buggy for the first 2.5 miles but the bugs aren't bad after that. We took the hikers shuttle off the mountain which is expensive but was worth it since we had someone in our group with a knee injury.

Do not misunderstand me. Goodwill does not mean that anyone can venture there. Me and my girlfriend loved pushing our limits but we had not planned such a challenge. At times we climb rather than hike. And what about the end. A long, rocky agony in the wind that never ends. We slept very well the following night. If you do it in the summer, plan solar cream, mosquito repellent and a second coat for the final portion. Bring some food and about 3 liters of water per person. Plan also the necessary for the rain because the time can change very quickly. Finally, be sure to have slept well the day before and not have any injury that clogs you because the day can be long. Happy hike!

Challenging trail, but very rewarding. We hiked with Boy Scouts ranging in age from 10 to 16. This hike definitely pushed the limits of their ability, but the “top of the world” feel at the top gave them such a sense of accomplishment. We did Tuckerman/Lion Head up and down.

Great hike with amazing views! Part of Tuckerman Ravine was closed due to snow so we had to take a detour through Lions Head. The trail was steep and rocky but beautiful. If you are looking for a challenging hike check out Tuckerman Ravine/Lion Head.

This is the first time that we climbed Mount Washington. It was as expected very strenuous and definitely not for someone who did not have the stamina for the experience to climb something so rocky. We loved it and the views are awesome.

Hiked this on June 7 and it was awesome! We had to take Lions head trail, with some small snow patches. I had normal hiking boots (no spikes) and did not have a problem. We started at 8am and made it to the top before 1pm, and back down just before 5pm. Bring snacks, lots of water, and bug spray. I’ve never felt more accomplished after a hike, I highly recommend!!