Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington

Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Mount Washington is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,169 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rock climbing

skiing

As of 5/28/19, hikers report that the Lion Head Trail is closed. Plan on coming in and out the same way. Trekking poles and spikes are recommended. Please note there may be a detour early into the trail. It is reported very easy to travel and get back onto the main trail. Mount Washington is the highest point in New England and the highest peak in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Often called the most dangerous small mountain in the world, Mount Washington is recommended for experienced hikers and climbers who can handle significant elevation gain. Tuckerman's Ravine Trail from Pinkham Notch is the most popular route to the summit. It is important to properly research this trail and bring proper gear as conditions can quickly turn dangerous as a result of bad weather in the form of severe storms, snow and wind. It is recommended that hikers contact the Mount Washington Observatory forecast (mountwashington.org/weather) and the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center prior to their trip. Those who hike the Tuckerman Ravine Trail will pass the Hermit Lake Shelters with great views of the ravine and a waterfall. Visitors can also reach the top via the Mount Washington Auto Road and the Cog Railway.

Hiked up Lion's Head and down Tuckerman's Ravine. Took 3 hours each way at an easy-going pace with periodic breaks. Surprisingly not as strenuous as anticipated; I feel that I could have summited in much less time. Moderately experienced hiker here & in pretty good shape. The views were remarkable as the weather conditions were exceptionally optimal (not a cloud in the sky!).

Challenging (but rewarding) hike in both directions. Took Lions up and the last 2 miles are all rock scramble. Took 4 hours with lots of breaks. I was surprised that going down (via Tuckermans) took almost as long, due to the weary legs and the steep rocky decline. Lucked out with the weather with tons of views and no rain. Great hike with such variable terrain and vegetation.

Beautiful hike but demanding! We are experienced hikers and have found it difficult. If however you are in shape, the shots are exceptional and the feeling of accomplishment well deserved! Bring a lot of water and snacks and a jacket for the summit, even in hot weather.

This is now my husbands favorite hike we've ever done, and definitely in the top 3 for me! Once you get above the tree line the wind picks up like crazy, and before the clouds rolled through which seems inevitable on this hike, we had spectacular views! Hike prepared with a winter jacket, and maybe some gloves and a hat. We hiked this on August 12th and we were glad we brought the right clothing.

Tried to summit MT Washington and got as far as Lions Head. Once we turn to the west side we encountered 30 degree temps, 50mph winds and a major hail storm. Although not reaching the summit due to the weather, I would recommend this trail although it was difficult.

Truly and amazing hike. I had 3 dates picked for this hike (weather dependent) and glad the first one worked out. Was prepared for anything, but luckily the weather was partly cloudy and no rain. Lions head was a great challenge and would def recommend going up rather than down. On the way down Tuckermans the waterfalls were nice to listen to. I did this solo and completed in 6 hours. Summited in just under 3 hours and going down took just a tad longer. Don’t be fooled- hiking solo is pretty much impossible. I hiked on a Thursday and spent probably less than an hour total out of earshot or other people. The summit was also bizarre. Felt like I’d stepped into a mall with all the people who drove up or took the Cog. Certainly not what I was expecting and I only stayed long enough for the restroom and taking a some pics. The views though- absolutely spectacular. There are lots of different trail options which is great because I would definitely be up for hiking this again!

Oh my goodness! This was by far the craziest and hardest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. My sister and I hiked this trail a week ago and from the parking lot, it looked very cloudy and like it was about to rain.. I felt optimistic though. About half way up, we began to see above the clouds and the views were breathtaking. You could see all of the little cloud formations below, watch them move, and you could see the mountains off to the distance. We took the lion head trail up to the summit. I have to admit, the lion head trail makes the tuckerman ravine trail look like a walk in the park. I honestly didn’t know if were going to make it. Took us about 4 1/2hrs from the parking lot to the summit. From the parking lot to the summit I believe it was 4 1/2 miles. It was cloudy at the top but the views we got on the way up were worth it. We stopped about half way up for a lunch break. Would definitely recommend bringing a lunch and a lot of other things to snack on. We were thinking about taking the van down because we were exhausted but it was 31$ per person which is insane in my book. We decided to actually walk down the auto road which is actually allowed. The views we saw on the way down were like nothing I’d ever seen in my life, truly, and I’ve been all over this country. The auto road is about 8 miles long. We walked about 6 and then there is the appellation trail which is 2 miles long and that cuts through the forest and ends up right where we started by the parking lot. The way down also took about 4 1/2 hrs. Was like nothing I’ve ever done! Definitely recommend!

We hiked this beast on 8/7/19. Took Tuckerman ravine trail up to the lions head trail where we took that the rest of the climb up. Took us about 4 hrs to get to the top. All fours were needed for sure. The weather was cloudy but halfway up we’d end up seeing above the clouds. Crazy, insane hike. Something to be proud of for sure. We ended up walking down the auto road down. The shuttle was 31$ per person. The train down being 51$ per person. There is a trail about 6ish miles down from the auto road called the Jackson road trail. It’s an easy 2 mile hike through the woods to the pinkman notch parking lot. The auto road is legal and very limited to space at times. Kinda scary and wouldn’t recommend for more than 2 people. But very quiet , peaceful and much easier than trekking back down the mountain trails. (we thought at least)

Hiked Tuckerman Ravine trail yesterday. 0755 start and 1230 finish at summit. Cloudy from the falls area up to summit. Wore light thermals under my hiking pants and packed layers. So glad for the thermals. Sustained winds 40+ and very gusty the last hour. Used both hands climbing up the latter portion. Pack and clothes fairly wet/damp. Hair soaked and dried out at the visitor center for an hour. Made the trip down in 3 hours. Slippery and had to be careful. Cloud cover started clearing about 30m down - beautiful views.

Hardest hike of my life. My buddy and I did Mansfield yesterday and Washington today. Not ashamed to say we shuttled down. Would never attempt this at this level of fatigue again.

#27. The big boy, one I’ve been putting off until this year. Glad I waited, this trail either way was no joke, as stated below. Tried to hike in winter and came back this summer to conquer it! So the first part is extremely wide, elevation was there but it wasnt super apparent until we took Lions Head Trail up. The trail got narrow and there was climbing without poles, the lions head was spectacular, as well as the ravine. Bring a jacket, this day was set to be clear but it was windy and foggy. The last part before the summit is spider scrambling up with a lot of endurance needed. I really took my time on this one, definitely kicked my butt. After you think you’re done spider scrambling the way up to the summit you have to walk up to the busy auto road with all the noise and cars to the sign that you have to wait in line to take pictures with people either hiking/cog railway/auto road up to the summit which in my opinion I dont super like that atmosphere but it was expected. The fog cleared just enough to see a view from the summit. Getting lunch in the snack bar was great, everything was delicious and I’m glad we got to take a break. As we headed down Tuckerman’s Ravine, although I think this would have been harder to go up than down, going down was dangerous! I love a good worried scramble down but it was the whole way you had to really be careful. I def. would not take Tuckermans Ravine down in any inclement weather. Stunning vertical walls in the ravine, absolutely worth it to see.