Thoreau Falls Trail

Thoreau Falls Trail is a 18.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked the Thoreau falls Trail as part of a loop with the wilderness trail and Shoal Pond Trail. A notice at the Zealand parking lot said that the bridge was out at the intersection of Thoreau Falls and Wilderness. Luckily I found that crossing the water there was no problem at all, and I didn't even need to take my shoes off to get across. The trail is in good condition and was quite easy going for the most part, following the river for most of the way with some short, steep jaunts up and down the hill. Really beautiful hike with nice tree cover and easy water access (bring a filter, of course) for a hot day. I saw lots of moose scat, but only later in Shoal Pond did I actually see a beautiful cow moose.

The section of wilderness trail between Thoreau Falls Trail and Shoal Pond Trail was in good condition. Saw only two hikers once I got off the path to the AMC hut. Hiking North on Shoal Pond Trail was definitely the most difficult part of the loop, due to many downed trees in the trail and lots of mud and decomposing bog bridges. Still a great hike all around and the ~18.5 mile loop to/from Zealand lot took me (fit hiker with light backpack) 9.5 hours total.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Mostly flat with some nice views. The side trip to Zealand Falls and the hut adds about 45 minutes and 2/3 of a mile. Overall a great hike.