The Flume Trail

The Flume Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

cave

Please note there is a $16 entry fee. The Flume Gorge loop trail is New Hampshire beauty, up close and personal. Waterfalls, mosses, wild flowers, and trees line this beautiful boardwalk. This is a relaxing must-see while hiking the more difficult trails around New Hampshire's White Mountains. The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mount Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are 12 to 20 feet apart. A trip into the Flume begins and ends at the Flume Visitor's Center. Guests can choose to walk through just the Gorge or do a two mile loop. The walk includes uphill walking and lots of stairs. The boardwalk allows you to look closely at the growth of flowers, ferns and mosses found here. Framed by a spectacular vista of Mount Liberty and Mount Flume, the Visitor Center houses the Flume ticket office, information center, cafeteria, gift shop, and the state park system's historic Concord Coach. A 20-minute movie showcasing beautiful Franconia Notch State Park is available for viewing. The Flume was discovered in 1808 by 93-year-old Aunt Jess Guernsey when she accidently came upon it while fishing. She had trouble convincing her family of the marvelous discovery, but eventually persuaded others to come and see for themselves. At that time, a huge egg-shaped boulder hung suspended between the walls. The rock was 10 feet (3m) high and 12 feet (3.6m) long. A heavy rainstorm in June of 1883 started a landslide that swept the boulder from its place. It has never been found. The same storm deepened the gorge and formed Avalanche Falls.

Absolutetly incredible.
I arrived around 2pm to the area so I didn’t have time for a long long hike before it would get dark so I decided to do this walk and It was a great surprise!.

bridge out

Nice trek on Super Bowl Sunday with the single exception of falling thru the ice floor in the gorge. Went up the Flume Brook Trail, passed some ice climbers then attempted to continue before falling through. Post-holed my left leg then crushed the remaining shelf with my right leg trying to lift myself out. My boots filled up with water. Glad I didn't fall in further or get pulled under the ice. I did continue on thinking my wool socks would keep me warm but soon got chilled. Great hike with several lessons learned!

I hiked this trail today with my 1 year old daughter and we loved every bit of it. Beautiful scenery everywhere and not a difficult hike at all. We did the loop part but didn’t climb up the tight part of the gorge itself. Good spikes are necessary or else some of the inclines/declines on the packed snow would be too slippery. I would definitely recommend this for any hiker but especially those going with children.

Used spikes the hole trip and had no difficulty. The deepest part of the gorge is closed off but there are cute covered bridges that make the trip worth seeing. Trail was easily navigated

Easily the best effort-to-payoff experience we've had. We went during winter so we didn't have to pay and there were not a lot of other people around. The park is not maintained during the winter, so the snow on the paths isn't shoveled and there are no rangers patrolling. Be careful on the wooden paths as these can get very slippery.

I've been herw many times. Gorgeous things to see. Lots of people and heavily maintained.

Great trail for all ages. We enjoyed the winter view!

Beautiful walk. Cool activities throughout the trail

Beautiful trail along the gorge. More for sightseeing then hiking

nice little hike. a little icy today. snow and rainy mix.

Great place to enjoy fall foliage colors. It is very crowded during peak fall foliage and the ticket line could take 1 hr, but it is worth the wait. Pathways are well maintained.

As expected - a perfect place to enjoy the foliage! Gorgeous views and waterfalls, and the wooden decks are very well maintained! But note that this place is super popular in the fall and prepare to stand in the line for approx.30mins to buy tickets, unfortunately you can’t buy them online. But the trail is definitely worth the wait, you will love it!

Gorgeous fall color and waterfalls.

awesome trail not hard at all easy hike

it's a nice and easy trail to hike, perfect for all ages. the fall foliage is spectacular. 16$ seems a bit expensive though, considering there are plenty of beautiful and free hikes around the area.

Love this trail. It’s probably out 10th time over the years. Easy, beautiful and peaceful.

The hike itself is pretty in spots but I don't think it's worth paying for. It's a very easy walk with very minimal elevation gain and is heavily traveled so expect to wait behind people on the boardwalk.

Very easy hike, the views are amazing. Well worth the money

the hike was really nice and easy, the views are gorgeous. i will most likely vist again if i ever pass there.

Much better than expected, I thought it was going to be a crowded tourist trap but The Flume was actually pretty spectacular. The boardwalk goes right through the middle of it, giving you a unique perspective of these amazing waterfalls. Most people turn around at The Flume, but I did the full loop to Liberty Gorge and Cascade which was also beautiful. Definitely worth checking out if you’re in the area. The trails also are very well maintained and well marked. Although the one downside is the $16 dollar entry fee for adults.

Beautiful walk through the gorge. The scenery is amazing. The incline is not terrible since your climbing stairs and boardwalk. Theres a shuttle part of the way up for those not inclined to walk. The temps ate cooler down in the gorge. Great family walk. Id rate it as moderate. Bit pricey for the duration but worth the views and time spent in gorge. Also has goft shop and restrooms at entrance

I am a double knee replacement survivor and have a full time job where I sit at a computer all day.
I have not been a very active person especially with the challenges that I have had with my knees. My husband and I did this trail today and I am proud to say that I did it! The scenery was beautiful and challenging for a beginner, but it was so worth it. The reviews that I have read are spot on; up and downhill, and a lot of steps. Enjoyed this trail very much and look forward to the next one!

Beautiful casual hike with great geological site seeing. Nicely maintained and quintessential New England covered bridge over the Pemigewasett River near the beginning and a truly vintage (1938'?) covered bridge made from a single tree spanning 90' across the gorge towards the end. There is a cool cave you can scrabble through towards the end as well.

Paid $16 to get in and honestly believe it Wasn’t worth the money considering there are other beautiful trails close by free of charge however if you’re a lover of nature you won’t be super disappointed. It was a nice family trail. People of all ages were hiking. I wouldn’t rate this trail as moderate. as someone who isn’t in decent shape and only hikes every so often I would say it’s fairly easy. There are stairs going up along the water which is beautiful, cool and peaceful and the trail afterwards is quiet and has so many trees and plants marked for your curiosity. Wouldn’t do it again unless I had small children that would enjoy the short nature walk. Took me about an hour and a half/ two hours with stops for observation.

Not difficult at all. Beautiful surroundings and nature interpretive trails. Check out the Wolf Den!

Beautiful view of the gorge. Breathtaking!

This is a great hike for a family. The walk through the gorge is really beautiful. The way back around you get a couple nice views of mountains and the cliffs/pool. It wasnt busy when I was there. If you have little ones, do not bring a stroller. It is def not friendly up the gorge. The walkways add adventure to the hike itself.

Really worth it!