The Flume Trail

The Flume Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

cave

The Flume Gorge loop trail is New Hampshire beauty, up close and personal. Waterfalls, mosses, wild flowers, and trees line this beautiful boardwalk. This is a relaxing must-see while hiking the more difficult trails around New Hampshire's White Mountains. The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mount Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are 12 to 20 feet apart. A trip into the Flume begins and ends at the Flume Visitor's Center. Guests can choose to walk through just the Gorge or do a two mile loop. The walk includes uphill walking and lots of stairs. The boardwalk allows you to look closely at the growth of flowers, ferns and mosses found here. Framed by a spectacular vista of Mount Liberty and Mount Flume, the Visitor Center houses the Flume ticket office, information center, cafeteria, gift shop, and the state park system's historic Concord Coach. A 20-minute movie showcasing beautiful Franconia Notch State Park is available for viewing. The Flume was discovered in 1808 by 93-year-old Aunt Jess Guernsey when she accidently came upon it while fishing. She had trouble convincing her family of the marvelous discovery, but eventually persuaded others to come and see for themselves. At that time, a huge egg-shaped boulder hung suspended between the walls. The rock was 10 feet (3m) high and 12 feet (3.6m) long. A heavy rainstorm in June of 1883 started a landslide that swept the boulder from its place. It has never been found. The same storm deepened the gorge and formed Avalanche Falls.

Beautiful view of the gorge. Breathtaking!

This is a great hike for a family. The walk through the gorge is really beautiful. The way back around you get a couple nice views of mountains and the cliffs/pool. It wasnt busy when I was there. If you have little ones, do not bring a stroller. It is def not friendly up the gorge. The walkways add adventure to the hike itself.

Really worth it!

The most beautiful piece of the world I’ve yet visited! Absolutely worth it. :)

Took my wife to get her out in the fresh air, just a little 3 hour drive from home. She is by no means a hiker but she did OK with this. It's amazing to see people who you think would be in good shape who are out of breath just getting to the start of the gorge area. This is not a hike really but a nature walk (as their signs say) so if having trouble doing this, you should consider getting a little more exercise into your life. Arrived just around noon on Saturday and ticket line was not even a line but upon returning an hour or so later, the line was out the door. There is a shuttle to the start of the gorge if you want to take it but you'll need to actually walk uphill to see this once dropped off. The hike to the beginning is really not far, don't take the shuttle. It's funny because there are signs in the visitor area letting you know this as if some people may have actually asked why they built it so far away from the road. One could only let their imagination wonder why these signs are actually needed. It is a beautiful place and though you have to pay to see it, I guess it's worth it for many. ($16 per person) I see the reason they need to charge as it's a tourist destination and they need to maintain the paths they've built (you can fit golf karts through them) and everything else associated with it. Glad I went but don't expect to be back in the near future. The cost is really why I only rated this 4 stars instead of 5. And yes, my wife got her wind and made the couple miles.

Awesome and beautiful! It rained, so we were delayed 30 minutes in a shelter at the beginning of the hike, but I’m glad we stuck it out

Beautiful.

beautiful serene walk thru the flume and gorge and caves although it has a lot of uphill hiking. saw 3 chipmunks and 2 red squirrels and several kinds of birds. want to do it again in the fall.

Belle randonnée familiale, très bien aménagée et facile. Décor impressionnant.

Get there early and go when it’s rainy! We were the only ones there, and doors open at 8:30am.

I thought the $16 was a little steep for a 30-45 minute hike through the woods. The gorge was cool but it was really crowded even in a Tuesday afternoon( I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that place on a weekend). Good hike for families and kids if you want to pay the admission.

This trail was fairly easy to navigate. If you’re not in the best shape....don’t worry. You’ll do fine. The scenery was fantastic. My family enjoyed it thoroughly

Awesome! Awesome! Easy trail, shady, kid friendly. Highly recommend. We went early at 8:30 and very low crowd, cafe was great. One of the nicest venues I’ve been to and I’ve been all over the country.

Only giving it 4/5 because it gets too crowded. But it is super easy and the scenery is nice. I would recommend it to families with children, wouldn't recommend it to experienced hikers.

My husband and I went here on a whim. Thought about it Friday night (Jun 2) and drove 2 hours the following morning (Jun 3). We paid $30/pp for the Flume + Cannon Mtn tramway. We thought the price was worth it for a great experience for beginners to hiking.

The hike to the Flume Gorge was beautiful and easy. The park is kept up very well, we saw replacement wood planks/beams where needed for safety for visitors. There are also covered areas throughout the trail called rain shelters on the map (given at time of ticket purchase).

The hike back from Flume Gorge takes you pass smaller waterfalls and a beautiful area called the Pools.

There was an area called the Wolf Den (clearly marked). It's this small cave that is formed between and underneath large boulder/rock formations. On the Flume Gorge website, it says that visitors can go into it and, if possible, squeeze out the small opening at the top of the cave. My husband and I gave it a shot. As I'm small in size, it was slightly easier for me than my husband. We emerged on the other side and were greeted by two groups of visitors.

The rest of the hike out of the park was very easy and peaceful. Although there were a good number of visitors, at times we were the only 2 on the trail. It was so peaceful, we heard birds chirping and the leaves rustling as the breeze blew through.

We thought the price was worth it and have plans to return during the fall for the foliage.

It cost us $60 to get in to this place and it was only a short walk near the water. The rest was spent walking through the other parts of the trail. Definitely not worth the money for us. We’ve done many, many trails across the United States and this was very disappointing.

Not worth the money you look at Yellowstone glacier Zion national parks it cost $80 for a year pass the trails are well kept up the parks are amazing we paid over $60 bucks to walk one hour and only half of it was near the river I will keep to the big boy trails like the Tetons! They tried telling me it was to do the keep up on the wood path so does the national parks don’t give me that.

So amazing, gave it 4 stars only because you have to pay, its crowded, and no dogs, but still worth it. Perfect to do with your family. Easy walking.

Did this one with our 5 year old... off season. So it was free and quiet... beautiful scenery!

I've done this countless times since I was a child and it never gets old. Love this trail.

Magnifique sentier dans la forêt. Ça coûte 16 Dollard par adulte mais ça vaut le coût !! Il y a des panneaux d'interprétation partout, les plantes au bord du sentier sont identifiées il y a des escaliers en bois en parfait état qui nous permet de suivre les gorges. Le sentier aussi est en très bon état. Ça nous a pris environ 1h30. On était sous la pluie et c'était très beau.

Very good hike, it’s well worth the 16$ fee ! The trail is in perfect condition, and there are a lot of information points along the way. The waterfall is amazing and you know everything about it when you leave. It took us about 1h40. Worth it even under a lot of rain !

Beautiful scenery! Highly recommend!

We are new to hiking but this is my favorite hike yet (and we hiked Shenandoah last year). It's off season so there was literally not one other person on the trail. It was still icy in places but melted enough to get around it. The trail features 2 covered bridges, a huge waterfall, frozen falls, the gorge, the rushing Pemigewassett River, a 40 ft deep pool, giant boulders, awesome lookout over the river and gorge, fascinating trees growing around rocks. the temperature change near the river was significant and felt so refreshing! A little steep and challenging in spots but I would say the easy side of moderate. For me, the perfect hike!

Beautiful gorge with a lovely bubbling brook - just be sure to be there before they open in the morning and be the first to hit the trail if you're visiting in spring/summer/fall. Otherwise it can get unpleasantly busy.

Beautiful to view in the winter with frozen and running falls. Some icy areas, wear proper footwear to make it easier. Loved the winter beauty!

Not a lot of effort for a big reward of a hike. Great waterfall and flume views. Good amount of hard packed snow on the trail. Cramp ons definitely helped but saw other hikers wearing sneakers. Didn’t pass too many people but I’m sure it’s crawling with people in the warmer months.

I have lived about half hour from the flume since 1983. I have only missed a handful of summers when I did not do the trail. It was not until last winter that I realized it could be hiked in the winter.
I finally had the opportunity to take advantage. Trails were great and scenery spectacular.