The Flume Trail

The Flume Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

cave

The Flume Gorge loop trail is New Hampshire beauty, up close and personal. Waterfalls, mosses, wild flowers, and trees line this beautiful boardwalk. This is a relaxing must-see while hiking the more difficult trails around New Hampshire's White Mountains. The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mount Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are 12 to 20 feet apart. A trip into the Flume begins and ends at the Flume Visitor's Center. Guests can choose to walk through just the Gorge or do a two mile loop. The walk includes uphill walking and lots of stairs. The boardwalk allows you to look closely at the growth of flowers, ferns and mosses found here. Framed by a spectacular vista of Mount Liberty and Mount Flume, the Visitor Center houses the Flume ticket office, information center, cafeteria, gift shop, and the state park system's historic Concord Coach. A 20-minute movie showcasing beautiful Franconia Notch State Park is available for viewing. The Flume was discovered in 1808 by 93-year-old Aunt Jess Guernsey when she accidently came upon it while fishing. She had trouble convincing her family of the marvelous discovery, but eventually persuaded others to come and see for themselves. At that time, a huge egg-shaped boulder hung suspended between the walls. The rock was 10 feet (3m) high and 12 feet (3.6m) long. A heavy rainstorm in June of 1883 started a landslide that swept the boulder from its place. It has never been found. The same storm deepened the gorge and formed Avalanche Falls.

Awesome! Awesome! Easy trail, shady, kid friendly. Highly recommend. We went early at 8:30 and very low crowd, cafe was great. One of the nicest venues I’ve been to and I’ve been all over the country.

Only giving it 4/5 because it gets too crowded. But it is super easy and the scenery is nice. I would recommend it to families with children, wouldn't recommend it to experienced hikers.

My husband and I went here on a whim. Thought about it Friday night (Jun 2) and drove 2 hours the following morning (Jun 3). We paid $30/pp for the Flume + Cannon Mtn tramway. We thought the price was worth it for a great experience for beginners to hiking.

The hike to the Flume Gorge was beautiful and easy. The park is kept up very well, we saw replacement wood planks/beams where needed for safety for visitors. There are also covered areas throughout the trail called rain shelters on the map (given at time of ticket purchase).

The hike back from Flume Gorge takes you pass smaller waterfalls and a beautiful area called the Pools.

There was an area called the Wolf Den (clearly marked). It's this small cave that is formed between and underneath large boulder/rock formations. On the Flume Gorge website, it says that visitors can go into it and, if possible, squeeze out the small opening at the top of the cave. My husband and I gave it a shot. As I'm small in size, it was slightly easier for me than my husband. We emerged on the other side and were greeted by two groups of visitors.

The rest of the hike out of the park was very easy and peaceful. Although there were a good number of visitors, at times we were the only 2 on the trail. It was so peaceful, we heard birds chirping and the leaves rustling as the breeze blew through.

We thought the price was worth it and have plans to return during the fall for the foliage.

It cost us $60 to get in to this place and it was only a short walk near the water. The rest was spent walking through the other parts of the trail. Definitely not worth the money for us. We’ve done many, many trails across the United States and this was very disappointing.

Not worth the money you look at Yellowstone glacier Zion national parks it cost $80 for a year pass the trails are well kept up the parks are amazing we paid over $60 bucks to walk one hour and only half of it was near the river I will keep to the big boy trails like the Tetons! They tried telling me it was to do the keep up on the wood path so does the national parks don’t give me that.

So amazing, gave it 4 stars only because you have to pay, its crowded, and no dogs, but still worth it. Perfect to do with your family. Easy walking.

Did this one with our 5 year old... off season. So it was free and quiet... beautiful scenery!

I've done this countless times since I was a child and it never gets old. Love this trail.

Magnifique sentier dans la forêt. Ça coûte 16 Dollard par adulte mais ça vaut le coût !! Il y a des panneaux d'interprétation partout, les plantes au bord du sentier sont identifiées il y a des escaliers en bois en parfait état qui nous permet de suivre les gorges. Le sentier aussi est en très bon état. Ça nous a pris environ 1h30. On était sous la pluie et c'était très beau.

Very good hike, it’s well worth the 16$ fee ! The trail is in perfect condition, and there are a lot of information points along the way. The waterfall is amazing and you know everything about it when you leave. It took us about 1h40. Worth it even under a lot of rain !

Beautiful scenery! Highly recommend!

We are new to hiking but this is my favorite hike yet (and we hiked Shenandoah last year). It's off season so there was literally not one other person on the trail. It was still icy in places but melted enough to get around it. The trail features 2 covered bridges, a huge waterfall, frozen falls, the gorge, the rushing Pemigewassett River, a 40 ft deep pool, giant boulders, awesome lookout over the river and gorge, fascinating trees growing around rocks. the temperature change near the river was significant and felt so refreshing! A little steep and challenging in spots but I would say the easy side of moderate. For me, the perfect hike!

Beautiful gorge with a lovely bubbling brook - just be sure to be there before they open in the morning and be the first to hit the trail if you're visiting in spring/summer/fall. Otherwise it can get unpleasantly busy.

Beautiful to view in the winter with frozen and running falls. Some icy areas, wear proper footwear to make it easier. Loved the winter beauty!

Not a lot of effort for a big reward of a hike. Great waterfall and flume views. Good amount of hard packed snow on the trail. Cramp ons definitely helped but saw other hikers wearing sneakers. Didn’t pass too many people but I’m sure it’s crawling with people in the warmer months.

I have lived about half hour from the flume since 1983. I have only missed a handful of summers when I did not do the trail. It was not until last winter that I realized it could be hiked in the winter.
I finally had the opportunity to take advantage. Trails were great and scenery spectacular.

Went hiking here yesterday and it was beautiful with the snow and ice! Absolutely a must do in the winter. I will never want to come back here in open season again. I have been here in the summer and it was so crowded I was getting annoyed....winter is empty and FREE and beautiful!

love this place. Hiked it alone and saw absolutely no one. Only me and the wilderness and God.

Beautiful frozen streams that led to the frozen Falls. Ice climbers were climbing the frozen Falls in the gorge which was cool to watch. Moderate hike & very beautiful in the winter.

Amazing winter hike, would recommend micro spikes for safety. If looking at the closed visitor center (closes during winter), trail is directly to the left of building. Gorge is stunning in frozen conditions or right after snow fall. Highly recommended trip. Easy hike.

instagram.com/gregszymbor

^^^ for hike photos ^^^

Great trail and great conditions. The trail was mainly hard packed snow with a few icey sections. I bare booted it but microspikes would have been a better idea especially around the flume. There was one short section that was iced over and a slip would send you on a 10 foot fall into the creek below. I decided to go up and around the flume itself. Keep in mind the parking lot was an ice skating rink.

Beautiful in the snow. Easy hike even with a 3 and 4 year old.

If it were not so crowded or expensive, this would be 5 stars. It is difficult to appreciate how beautiful it is when in such a cattle train :( I wouldn't recommend this trail since there are plenty of free, beautiful and less crowded trails nearby.

Absurdly gorgeous and gently hike through one of a kind geologic formation. Hiked it with my 60 year-old in-laws so if you have any trepidation, fear not.

If you want to know what you're in for, take a virtual hike on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=2_DzIaMRMfg

Nice, easy hike with beautiful vegetation, forest, waterfall and river. Well maintained trail. Very enjoyable, easy hike with the family.

My favorite hike in this area. I have been going since I was a kid and now love taking my own kids. Not sure why it is rated as moderate, it’s a rather easy 2 mile loop from the welcome center. Beautiful waterfall and green forest. A must see if you are in the area

There are many spots to see during 1-2 hour hiking. Wolf den was great for kids :)

easy walk - give yourself 2hours. There is plenty to see and it is an informative trail

Great views, if your a photographer bring a lightweight tripod or use the walk rails for 1-2 second exposures of the water falls. Zoom in from up high and get some great waterfall pictures as well. Loved the walk, beautiful relaxing with views of mountains as well. Some hills and stairs but good break from mountain trail yesterday!