Sweet Trail

Sweet Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Durham, New Hampshire that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Four miles long from Longmarsh Road in Durham to the Great Bay Estuary in Newmarket, the Sweet Trail leads hikers by a remarkable array of upland forests, freshwater wetlands and tidal salt marsh. The Sweet Trail winds its way from second generation forests to Great Bay, a unique estuarine ecosystem of local, regional, and national significance. The estuary provides a rich aquatic habitat that supports more than 150 rare plant and animal species, and 55 exemplary natural communities.

Nice scenery....Trails were narrow at times...

Loved the trail, plenty to see and also secluded.

This would have been a nice nature walk if it weren't for the bugs. My wife and I both sprayed our exposed skin with bug spray but at the end of the day I had over 30 bites through my shirt.

Beautiful. Lots of trail options, not a lot of people crowding them.

Beautiful trails for snowshoeing

Hidden gem in the Seacoast

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Too buggy!!!!!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

It was fun with my friend and our dogs. I wish the trails were marked better. Good hike

Friday, March 18, 2016

Real easy and beautiful. The loop was a little confusing but not too bad at all

Monday, March 14, 2016

This was a great escape for us mid-Christmas day and gave our dog a nice outing.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Great spot to walk the dog. Nice views of the marsh and beaver dams. The trail forks early on but is well marked and both directions are relatively well established trails (although overgrown in some spots and some of the boards allowing access over wet spots are crumbling).

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Confusing. Not well marked. Disappointing. Only positive-nice views of marsh.

Friday, May 15, 2015

I walked the upper trail today with a friend. It was very buggy. I can imagine it would be a nice run if you enjoy running through the woods and seeing marshland and beaver ponds along the way. I also think walking the trail in cooler weather would be nice.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

The Sweet Trail is a well marked, and well maintained trail system. I run these trails on a regular basis for training. The trails are mostly single track, moderate to easy technically, and there are no large climbs. The trail runs by several ponds and terminates on a point on Great Bay with a beutifuk view. There are benches on the point which makes it the perfect place for a picnic lunch!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Sweet Trail is near my house and I hike it frequently. It is an easy hike that allows for an amazing diversity of wildlife viewing. It begins in a forested area and winds up at Great Bay. You can hike the entire trail or just sections and can begin it at either end as there is parking at both and in the middle. While it is rated for handicap access, this only recommended from the Great Bay end or the middle parking area off of Dame Rd. Because much of the trail is near ponds and marshes, mosquitoes are a problem from early spring until the first significant frost. The trail is open year round; with enough snow (rare the last two years) it is great for snowshoeing or cross country skiing as long as you are not expecting a groomed path.