Straightback and Mount Major Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alton, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A relatively easy trail to so me great views.

I’ve hiked mount major a thousand times but I’ve never hiked over to straightback mountain, I’m so glad I did, it has amazing views and such a nice summit to just sit and relax for a little while.

Beautiful view, as many blueberries as I could ever eat, and a good leg workout! The hike up is steep and rocky, but doable. Going down is harder. Against others’ advice, I would not see Mt Anna/West Quarry/etc. they are not real summits so to speak, more like posts in the ground surrounded by trees that obscure every angle. Almost no traffic

only saw three people on the wat up. on a friday. you can skip leg day at the gym after rhe hike too

Nice way to get to Major and avoid the crowds. Saw no one until I was nearing the summit, and the trail itself is wide and well-marked.

What a great and fun loop. Parking at the trailhead is alongside the road which is a bit tight. The trail going up to Straightback Mountain was not very well blazed (at least in the snow). Had there not been tracks ahead of us we would have had trouble finding our way. The connection from the summit of straightback to major (blue blazed Belknap range trail) was well blazed again. We hiked clockwise which was a great idea as to descend the shorter and moderately steep and very well blazed red trail. We had to break the trail through the snow on the way down to complete the loop and not go back the way we came. There was one brook crossing which was maybe a bit tricky but we found a way across without getting wet. Took us a bit under 4 hours in the snow.

recorded straight back to Major loop

Monday, July 17, 2017